Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

942408 Posts in 62070 Topics- by 14989 Members - Latest Member: N8
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Those whacky gun owners at it again....
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Those whacky gun owners at it again....  (Read 82438 times)
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: Feb 18, 2012, 05:50AM »

I am done.

Good.

....walk away. Preferable with a dog and a gun...and I am off to do so...

Yes, you do that. Nip off and blast the crap out of some defenceless wildlife.

It proves you are a REAL man. Yeah, RIGHT.

There is obviously NO reasoning with the deeply entrenched cowboy/gangster mentality exhibited by a depressing number of Americans posting in this and similar topics.

You'll be pleased to know that I am done too.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:19AM »

Here's the original post.
Thanks, Baron.

I am done. RHM is so TFOS that there is no point in proceeding. She doesn't get "it" or refuses to do so. The best way to deal with a someone so self-involved is to either hand them a box of light bulbs, or walk away. Preferable with a dog and a gun...and I am off to do so...

And here's the edited version, and the problematically reactionary "reply":
Good.

There is obviously NO reasoning with the deeply entrenched cowboy/gangster mentality exhibited by a depressing number of Americans posting in this and similar topics.

This is what US radical right wing "reasoning" looks like when applied to gun control rhetoric (the flagrant and extreme use of straw man "reasoning" is their bread and butter). It's the same kind highly undisciplined, self-serving, avaricious judgmentalism of those who refuse to fall in line with them--unmitigated emotionalism, indistinguishable from flagrant dishonesty. Translate it into right wing politics and you get the more blatantly absurd and rabid TEA Party type "arguments" that only those with a very high capacity for self-deception (Wingnuts) can buy into. They're same exact mentality, just coming from different angles.

You can't have an honest discussion with this mentality, whether regarding guns and violence or any other issue. If you suffer from this intellectual handicap, in fact, you can't even begin to honestly consider an issue that sets it off. This is the basic disconnect we're dealing with in large scale here in the US. It's only this extreme on the farthest ends of the intellectual integrity/self-discipline spectrum (where it's crowded on the right and relatively sparse on the left), but it's the same basic problem.

What I still don't get is why most people seem so averse to recognizing this mindset for what it is (regardless of what form it takes) when it seems so obvious and so clearly problematic and even self-destructive not to. Andrew Meronek may be on to something in that regard though, with the idea of "reframing". If you can't get people to grow up and think in an adult manner, you have to translate rational into whatever distorted cognitive "language" they use ... I suspect that's not how Dan Kahan (et al) would characterize it, but I think it's appropriate in these more extreme and problematic cases.

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:25AM »

THIS is a wing nut ...

:-P :-P :-P

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:41AM »

THIS is a wing nut ...

A good icon!

I think "wingnut" is derived from "right wing nut" and "WingNutDaily" a nickname that developed for the WorldNet Daily website, which is a bit the right in terms of politics and South in terms of journalistic integrity, of Faux Nuze.

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:45AM »

Mind you, I still stand by my earlier statements:

1.  I am happy for the young mother who managed to defend herself from a dire circumstance with a firearm.

2.  I am not happy that certain people are portraying this as a good thing that should be common practice.  There are too many people with firearms who shouldn't have them.

Bruce Guttman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Feb 18, 2012, 11:05AM »

Mind you, I still stand by my earlier statements:
And I'll stand by them as well.

1.  I am happy for the young mother who managed to defend herself from a dire circumstance with a firearm.

2.  I am not happy that certain people are portraying this as a good thing that should be common practice.
I agree wholeheartedly.

There's an important distinction between those who advocate this kind of resolution to such incidents rather than giving the violent predator the benefit of doubt and imposing the grave risk that comes with being so "charitable" toward violent predators, and those who are eager to celebrate such incidents as if they don't cause any harm to the intended victim just because he or she came out of it better off, likely far better off, than if he or she had been more passive (or "compassionate" from a distorted perspective). I'm all for the former, but the latter is disheartening.

There are too many people with firearms who shouldn't have them.
That's the main problem, yes. Well, guns and knives and ... but mostly the real problem is that these problem children have the freedom to prey on the other children. When you fixate on The Gun you tend to lose sight of the real source of the problem.

ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:38PM »

THIS is a wing nut ...

Here's a good icon for the nuts on the extreme left;

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: Feb 18, 2012, 05:29PM »

I don't get it.  A pair of claw hammers in a sack?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Feb 18, 2012, 05:42PM »

He's not being complimentary, John.

That's a "sack of hammers" and the Urban Dictionary says it is now a measure of stupidity, as in "he's dumber than a sack of hammers".

Maybe you can take one of them and pound some sense into Drillmeister Evil

Bruce Guttman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:11PM »

That's a "sack of hammers" and the Urban Dictionary says it is now a measure of stupidity, as in "he's dumber than a sack of hammers".

It strikes me how much more offensive that is to the Drillmeister when he posts it as an attempt to offend me.

Double layered amusing, there ... really triple, I suppose.

timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Feb 18, 2012, 06:58PM »

This fatal shooting (of an aircraft) is a little less serious.

http://thetandd.com/animal-rights-group-says-drone-shot-down/article_017a720a-56ce-11e1-afc4-001871e3ce6c.html

Apparently, a live pigeon shoot was planned on private property in South Carolina.

An animal rights organization decided to fly a radio controlled helicopter into the event. 

Somebody shot it down. 

Well, check the picture.  It does look a bit like a pigeon, but tastes much worse.

They hired Joe from Canada to remove the wreckage;  he's estimating only 6 more years to get the area cleared. 

Law enforcement intends to charge the shooter, if caught, with damage to property estimated at $200 - $300. 

The animal rights group is claiming reckless endangerment alleging the shots could have reached the highway.  (seems unlikely to me - pigeon loads are usually #6, and that doesn't travel very far.)

Pigeon shoots were once a respectable event in international competition, i think even in the Olympics at one time, but have fallen out of favor.  I can't imagine wanting to myself.  But it was apparently legal under South Carolina state law. 

Tim Richardson
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: Feb 18, 2012, 07:04PM »

Pigeon shoots were the reason for the extinction of the Carrier Pigeon.  Apparently they were easy to shoot and tasty, so they were overhunted.

I am sure they did not taste like RC helicopters Evil

Bruce Guttman
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: Feb 18, 2012, 08:16PM »

Market hunting (and probably some habitat changes) did kill off the passenger pigeon.

The pigeon used for pigeon shoots was always a different species.

Years ago these were hugely profitable competitions with enormous sums gambled.  The pigeons were hand thrown by trained skilled handlers to make an erratic target.  This was mostly a Spain and Argentina event, it was never that popular in the US as far as i know. 

It's basically a target shooting game and I personally can't see the point of using real animals in it.  Skeet is just as challenging, sporting clays even more so. 

Tim Richardson
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: Feb 18, 2012, 08:24PM »

Found an even more challenging target game.

http://neurobonkers.com/2011/04/01/new-sport-for-2012-olympics-drone-pigeon-shooting/

Well, it seems highly likely to me that it's a spoof.  But it's from the UK, so who knows? 

Tim Richardson
greg waits

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: Feb 18, 2012, 08:50PM »

Good.

Christine, I don't expect a reply, especially since you state that you are done.

Back to the original incident that this thread was about in the first place. Do you actually think for a second that this young mother relished being in that position, having to decide whether or not she had to kill someone in order to protect herself. There are no winners, just survivors. And I imagine that she will wrestle with this years after the fact.

Believe it or not, I don't applaud her actions. But I do support them. There is a big difference.

If you were presented with a similar life or death scenario, I would respect your choice to go all pacifist if that is your choice. Do I understand it? Not at all. Do I insult you for making that choice? Absolutely not.

Things are different here in the USA. Armed home invasions are becoming more and more common. People seated at home minding their own business when suddenly well armed ne'er do wells with evil intent kick in the door brandishing weapons.

Please don't **** all over Americans because of the choices we make.

If you seriously expected the same consideration in kind, I'd imagine that you would change your attitude.

But I don't hold my breath.

In closing, I have to say that I know Michael Medrick pretty well. I will assure that he is no way an "out of control blast away at defenseless wildlife" sort. And what he shoots in the field, he consumes.

He is very responsible, and he takes the responsibility of gun ownership and gun use very seriously. In fact, he has mentored me as I get further into target shooting, hunting etc.

Michael is as much a real man as you are a real woman (at least I think you are).  :D

It is what it is; no more no less
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:08PM »

It strikes me how much more offensive that is to the Drillmeister when he posts it as an attempt to offend me.

Double layered amusing, there ... really triple, I suppose.
How'd you know it was about you?  Hmmm..

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:09PM »

I don't get it.  A pair of claw hammers in a sack?
I think I may be on to something.   :/

Ronald Reagan
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: Feb 18, 2012, 10:10PM »

You're the only one that gets it. 

Ronald Reagan
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: Feb 19, 2012, 08:06AM »

How'd you know it was about you?  Hmmm..

Well, I did at least think I was the most likely target (you're the most apoplectic in regard to my posts), but I wouldn't exclude anyone of whom you disapprove in here, actually, at least when it comes to applied IQ and sociopolitical and/or religious issues.

Michael Medrick

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:23PM »

Christine, I don't expect a reply, especially since you state that you are done.

Back to the original incident that this thread was about in the first place. Do you actually think for a second that this young mother relished being in that position, having to decide whether or not she had to kill someone in order to protect herself. There are no winners, just survivors. And I imagine that she will wrestle with this years after the fact.

Believe it or not, I don't applaud her actions. But I do support them. There is a big difference.

If you were presented with a similar life or death scenario, I would respect your choice to go all pacifist if that is your choice. Do I understand it? Not at all. Do I insult you for making that choice? Absolutely not.

Things are different here in the USA. Armed home invasions are becoming more and more common. People seated at home minding their own business when suddenly well armed ne'er do wells with evil intent kick in the door brandishing weapons.

Please don't **** all over Americans because of the choices we make.

If you seriously expected the same consideration in kind, I'd imagine that you would change your attitude.

But I don't hold my breath.

In closing, I have to say that I know Michael Medrick pretty well. I will assure that he is no way an "out of control blast away at defenseless wildlife" sort. And what he shoots in the field, he consumes.

He is very responsible, and he takes the responsibility of gun ownership and gun use very seriously. In fact, he has mentored me as I get further into target shooting, hunting etc.

Michael is as much a real man as you are a real woman (at least I think you are).  :D

Thanks, Greg. enuff said...

"There will never come a time when you don't have to practice." J. J. Johnson.
"If you just play from your heart, you will play incoherently" Slide Hampton
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: