Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

937111 Posts in 61432 Topics- by 14874 Members - Latest Member: zivgal1
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentAccessories(Moderator: WaltTrombone) Flying internationally with Marcus Bonna case
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Flying internationally with Marcus Bonna case  (Read 3439 times)
musicofman

View Profile
« on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:25PM »

I'm about to take an international trip to China in a few months with my Shires in a Marcus Bonna tenor case that's about two years old. We're flying a domestic route first and then getting on a place to take us to China. How should I pack my horn in this case to have the most protection in both the U.S. and China? Has anyone had any experience with both country's security? Should I look into buying a golf case to put this case in so it doesn't get damaged or just take my chances? I'm going to a full wind ensemble, so there will be many others on this plane.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2012, 01:32PM »

I flew with a Marcus Bonna case on an international Delta flight to Italy. I was able to put the case overhead, I just had to make sure that I got on ahead of the rest of the group that I was flying with.  Otherwise, afaik the case can be checked safely if it won't fit overhead, but it should.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Jox

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2012, 04:19PM »

Would it be the same with a bass case?

Xavier Gonzalez
BME- Stetson University
Bach 50BG Greenhoe- Doug Elliot MB109 J-8
Selmer Bolero- Conn Goldtone
Follow me on twitter @xblmasterjox
BassBoneFL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:39PM »

Would it be the same with a bass case?

Yes.... it has a dimension smaller than 14in.

Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra

S.E. Shires Artist

"Having Yo-Yo Ma give a masterclass to brass players is like hiring Picasso to paint your garage." - Gene Pokorny
komodo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:52AM »

I flew to Hong Kong a few years ago with my bass in a Marcus Bonna case.  I flew American Airlines from Texas to California and then Cathay Pacific from California to Hong Kong.  I had zero problems going to HK.  Coming back, the Cathay Pacific agent at the ticket counter warned me that I may not be able to carry on my horn, but I didn't have any issues at the gate and they let me in without any question.

The only issue I've had in flying to China was when I didn't bring my horn and just took my mouthpiece in my carry-on.  The x-ray person in Beijing didn't know what it was and I had to try to explain it to them without using English.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:05AM »

Actually, I think the Marcus bonna bass cases are smaller than the standard tenor ones, if I remember correctly.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:20AM »

I just flew to China and back on American with an orchestra, and several flights within China on 4 different carriers.  Almost the entire group was carrying instruments on, including my gig bag, and a tenor and a bass in regular cases.  We had no problems at all with instruments on the airlines.  The problems were on the buses, where there never seemed to be enough room for all the regular luggage.

And then there's the dim light in the hotel rooms, and the extreme air pollution... but the food was fantastic.  Just don't drink the tap water.

See my wife's blog posts about the trip:
http://www.photo-cyn-thesis.blogspot.com/

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
vegasbound

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:24AM »

Or think about human rights!

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:46AM »

Oh yeah, there's no access to YouTube or Facebook on their internet.  Somebody said you can use Facebook from a phone app, but that's all.  Google brings up Google.com.hk which is slightly limited (censored) but I didn't notice any problems except no YouTube.

Ian McDougall Wannabe

"Purveyor of Exotic Sounds"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:16PM »

I've flown all over the world with an MB standard case, never had a problem. I've had to check it more than once, and the only damage I encountered was wear to the case cover and zipper - just replaced it after 6 years of use, but the shell and interior are still fine. I own a Tank case, which I use when I'm definitely going to check the horn.

Doug, I notice from your wife's blog (nice pics!) that she's a violist - my wife as well! For some reason, I know dozens of brass players of both sexes who are married to members of the wire choir... my parents are the same way (F horn and cello). Seems to be a phenomenon, or at least a trend... can anyone explain it? I sure can't...

J
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:42PM »

Bass, not viola.   Bad dog.  No Biscuits.

burns even longer...

The Chinese supplied cellos and basses at each venue so the orchestra didn't have to transport them.  They were horrible student-grade instruments.  Imagine the opening of William Tell played on an entire section of horrible cellos.  Fortunately our players did a pretty good job in spite of it.

musicofman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:05PM »

This helps out so much, thank you all for replying and giving feedback!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the dirty air with my asthma. But I'll be happy when we're in Tianjin visiting Jin Bao. (Cheap instruments anyone?  :roll eyes: )

Does anyone know how much a cover for a standard tenor case would cost? I'm pretty much OCD about the appearance and overall condition of all of my equipment.
Ian McDougall Wannabe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2012, 11:30PM »

This helps out so much, thank you all for replying and giving feedback!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the dirty air with my asthma. But I'll be happy when we're in Tianjin visiting Jin Bao. (Cheap instruments anyone?  :roll eyes: )

Does anyone know how much a cover for a standard tenor case would cost? I'm pretty much OCD about the appearance and overall condition of all of my equipment.

I got mine direct from MB for $250 incl shipping (nylon). Pricey! But it beats buying a new case. OCD about appearances... Hit the road for a few months, that will cure you! Road cases are designed to take abuse so that your gear doesn't have to. As long as it works, who cares what it looks like? Function over form, man.

J
musicofman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:14PM »

That's true, the cover was a huge buying point for me. Did you wrap your horn in anything and did you take a mute in the bell with you?
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:20PM »

Has anyone here had their Bona get dropped, smashed, etc., and the horn still survived?

I'm wondering because i've had such bad luck with otherwise extremely sturdy cases (SKB and a Tank) - again, i don't blame the case makers as much as the airlines.

I figure 250 for something i can check and fit in an overhead is a pretty good deal.

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
musicofman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:40PM »

The Marcus Bonna case runs a little shy of $500. It's the replaceable fabric cover that runs $250 to replace
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2012, 06:02PM »

well, that's still a good deal if it can be checked and stored in an overhead. 

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
GetzenBassPlayer

"Practice makes the horn sound good."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:13PM »

I remember Mr. Sauer telling the tale of his horn looking like crushed aluminum foil after a checked bag mishap. He was using a MB at the time. It really is about how much risk you are willing to take.

Pro level? Pro level!  You make it pro, you make it good You make it loved and play nice Then its a pro level horn
Leif

I can justify my position with a trombone in my hands and that's good enough for me
Beware wise men bearing equations  C. Stearn
Ian McDougall Wannabe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:45PM »

The Bonna standard case has a certain advantage in that the end of the bell doesn't sit near the wall of the case, and it's braced and padded so that it can't move back and forth. Most airline damage to horns is a result of sudden shocks - the bell is forced against the wall of the case, which causes it to crumple up like a pop can. This is not possible with the Bonna standard case, but it is possible with the lightweight case - I believe that Mr. Sauer's horn was destroyed in a lightweight, if memory serves. Then again, any case/horn will be destroyed if they run it over with a 747 or stack freight atop it.

When I'm flying/touring and I need to be light and mobile upon arrival (trains, buses, or just walking around), I use the MB standard case and pack my clothes around it (not tight, but full). Remove the backpack straps and secure it with a luggage strap if it needs to be checked. I've done this on European, Mexican, and USA tours, probably 30 flights and plenty of tour bus time - never had a problem.

If I know I won't need to move around too much, I'll use my Tank case and just check the thing. Again, secure it with a luggage strap. Never had a problem with this one either. Maybe I've just been lucky!

Accord cases are also an option - those things look indestructible! $$$

J
hurry

"I'm in a hurry"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2012, 01:08AM »

Hi!

Use this
http://www.casesbyskb.com/golf/golf-cases.htm

I have heard that Mr Shires is using this for flight.

hurry

S 6H, 44H, 50H, 695, 353,
  Rath 10, Olds special, NY Bach Mercedes
L 88H, Ed(141CF,241C,303C)
B 321
pBone red
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: