Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

936811 Posts in 61398 Topics- by 14868 Members - Latest Member: Furious241
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTown Hall Comments and Suggestions(Moderators: rlb, blast, BFW) The forum needs to upgrade software
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The forum needs to upgrade software  (Read 11420 times)
greg waits

View Profile WWW
« on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:54AM »

It is time for some money to be spent on improving this site. Not being a tech head, I can't suggest what exactly, but I think it has to do with Windows Explorer 9 and this site's incompatibility with it.

I just upgraded to Windows 9, and now the orientation of the home page is skewed, and words are overlapped all over the place. I wish I could describe it better. If someone else is experiencing this, ther know what I mean. Trying to find "log out" etc is like finding Waldo.

Can something be done? This sucks.

It is what it is; no more no less
ParLawGod
The Man Who Doesn't Need a Title

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2012, 09:28AM »

^ Updating the code in the stylesheet would probably fix that (and take just a minute or two). I doubt new software probably be needed, maybe just an update to the most current version. Would turning down your font size help (at least for the meantime)?

My personal opinion would be to use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome (you probably would not end up with that overlapping issue).
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2012, 10:32AM »

We had problems when Internet Explorer 8 came out also.  It was fixed by setting something called "compatibility view".  I'll bet that's in IX 9 as well.

When you said Windows 9, did you mean Windows 8 (which was released just a day or two ago)?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Steve Foote

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:01PM »

If you had a problem with a typewriter or a dictaphone I know I could help you better but give this a try.

Top of the screen, next to STOP, REFRESH & SEARCH by the URL you might see what looks like a piece of paper torn in two. Click on that and see if it fixes everything.

And be ye kind one to another, tenderharted, forgiving one another even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.  Eph 4:32
octavposaune

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:33PM »

Hi,

I am running IE9 and it runs perfectly fine.

Bruce, Greg was refering to the browser not the operating system.

Benn
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:43PM »

Hi,

I am running IE9 and it runs perfectly fine.

Me too! With Windows 7. I think that I am using the compatibility mode also like Bruce Suggests.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
ParLawGod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:26PM »

I think there is a lot of great advice in this thread, but it also appears to cover up the fact that the forum is severely out of date (SMF 1.1 RC2 was released in mid-2006). In addition to not having important security/vulnerability updates, it does not meet current WC3 standards (which is why we end up with compatibility issues).

Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy TTF and am appreciative of all of the efforts that the Admin/Mod teams put in to making this a great place to visit. I only feel it appropriate and necessary to speak candidly. We keep looking for ways to tip-toe around the real issue (the problem is not with OUR computers, but with software that is 6 years old and no longer meets the needs of the community and current updates in web browsing). There are "band-aid fixes" (compatibility view, using Firefox/Chrome, etc.) and then there are long-term fixes. It is my opinion that we should be addressing the latter...
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2012, 03:00PM »

The home page for the forum has a notice about "Upcoming Enhancements."  Maybe that will upgrade the forum software.

I have no problems viewing this site using Firefox (latest version).

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2012, 03:06PM »

When you said Windows 9, did you mean Windows 8 (which was released just a day or two ago)?

Windows 9 is already causing problems, and Windows 8 just came out.

Love it!

Evil

( to be fair, they probably are working on Windows 9 somewhere already -- and yes, it is crashing! )

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.thomasmatta.com
greg waits

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2012, 04:27PM »

I readily admit I am no techie, but I meant to say Windows 8!

It is what it is; no more no less
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2012, 04:44PM »

I recently started seeing glitches when I visit on my Iphone, but they're not there on the Ipad or my Mac, so no biggie.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
ParLawGod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2012, 05:39PM »

The home page for the forum has a notice about "Upcoming Enhancements."  Maybe that will upgrade the forum software.

I have no problems viewing this site using Firefox (latest version).

I'm not going to bank on it - the classifieds said October 1, 2011 and that is still down. My apologies if I sound cynical; I still think this is a great place - if there was somewhere better I would go there :) I definitely understand that people are busy, and that sometimes time frames get thrown out the window (we've probably all had things on our "to do lists" at one time or another for months...if not years).
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:39PM »

Jeremiah, please be patient.

We Mods have been asking Richard to go to a newer Forum engine for some 4 years now that I remember.

I can tell you that there is a new version of TTF being tested.  I'm not going to tell you the URL, and it is NOT called tromboneforum.org.  I found out about it completely by accident.

I'm sure when Richard swats all the bugs out, this Forum will be changed.

Meanwhile, the rest of us have no power to change anything :(

Bruce Guttman
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2012, 10:08PM »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think there is a lot of great advice in this thread, but it also appears to cover up the fact that the forum is severely out of date (SMF 1.1 RC2 was released in mid-2006). In addition to not having important security/vulnerability updates, it does not meet current WC3 standards (which is why we end up with compatibility issues).

Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy TTF and am appreciative of all of the efforts that the Admin/Mod teams put in to making this a great place to visit. I only feel it appropriate and necessary to speak candidly. We keep looking for ways to tip-toe around the real issue (the problem is not with OUR computers, but with software that is 6 years old and no longer meets the needs of the community and current updates in web browsing). There are "band-aid fixes" (compatibility view, using Firefox/Chrome, etc.) and then there are long-term fixes. It is my opinion that we should be addressing the latter...

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
ParLawGod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2012, 10:19PM »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't know
rlb
Demiurge

"Hails of derisive laughter, Bruce!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:00AM »

The upgrades are including both upgraded hardware AND software.

Yes, as BG mentioned, it's being tested.

Yes, money is being spent on the upgrade.

Yes, it will be happening as soon as possible.

Yes, I'm actively working on it.

-rlb

Dr. Richard L. Byrd, Forum Director
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
   --Bertrand Russell, 1950
ParLawGod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:03AM »

I've seen the new forum and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action!
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:05AM »

Richard- any possibility of it being added to Tapatalk? I sent you a PM, but never received a response.

Tapatalk is a great forums app for Android and iOS, but requires some special code built into the back end of the forum, which is available for simplemachines. I find it very helpful for mobile reading on other forums to which I belong.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
Stipe

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2013, 02:38AM »

I know, bumping up and old topic is not the best thing to do (especially for a newbie like me), yet...

Any news or progress on implementing Tapatalk into the forum? For me it would really mean a lot and regarding to popularity of the app I'm sure, I'm not the only one...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Don't panic!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:37AM »

To be quite frank, we haven't heard from our beloved Webmaster in quite a while.

And he's the only one of us who can add Tapatalk.  Assuming it can be added to our ancient version of the Forum software.

Sorry.

Bruce Guttman
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: