Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087311 Posts in 72014 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eric Ewazen et alia...  (Read 875 times)
john jenkins

View Profile
« on: Apr 17, 2004, 12:32PM »

Eric Ewazen, composition professor at Julliard, has been at my university (Mercer University, Macon, GA) for the past few days along with Eastman trumpet professor, James Thompson. Last night, we performed Ewazen's trumpet concerto "Danzante" with James as the soloist, and also Ewazen's "A hymn for the lost and the living". Both pieces are well worth noting! His choice of tone coloring, rhythms, and motifs are absolutely magnificent. Dr. Ewazen is a joy to work with and is very encouraging and patient. He makes sure your needs are met before his own. He also gave a lecture about his life and career during a music history class this past Friday and talked about many of his compositions. One of my favorites is "Batcolumn" (from the Bat Column in Chicago) in which he sets an F horn, clarinet, and string quartet to a fugue of "Take me out to the ball game"!!! It's amazing!

He loves to explain his compositions or even give you advice. As a matter of fact, I'm the only one in the keyboard lab with him right now. I just got through talking to him about his trombone sonatas and concerto (tenor and bass). He's currently typing an email.

James Thompson is also a very fine player/teacher. I sat in on a trumpet masterclass (I was the only not trumpet) and I learned a lot about pitch consistency, attack, breathing, and getting core to the sound.

In addition, we have jazz trumpeter/professor, Brad Goode, from Cinncinati Conservatory doing a jazz festival with us. He's also amazing. Wonderful melodic ideas, great range and sound, and he rips through chord changes as if he were reading a Dr. Seuss book!!! :)

Musically, this has been one remarkable week for me.

John Jenkins
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: