Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

953551 Posts in 62930 Topics- by 15324 Members - Latest Member: dylan white
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-Chat(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE--OH NO
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE--OH NO  (Read 2417 times)
K.Trinh4213

View Profile
« on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:00PM »

What would you do, where would you go, who would you try to save, etc, etc.

Personally, I'd find a pre-1960s prison, hopefully no longer in use, and start moving in. I'd stay there 'til I run out of supplies.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2012, 02:18AM »

Hmmmm. From what I've seen, Zombies aren't too good with stairs, so I'd hole up in my fourth floor flat. I can drop things on them from a great height. There's plenty of tinned/dried food etc in the cupboard, but I might have to risk a mission to the nearest off-licence when the booze runs out.... Horrors!

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2012, 06:01AM »

Here's all you need to know.  Written by the US Center for Disease Control, no less:

http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmatters/2011/05/preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse/

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
K.Trinh4213

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2012, 06:49AM »

Wow, CDC really got on it. But I think that if there were an outbreak of the virus, the government wouldn't exactly be vocal about it. If there's a virus floating around that turns people into flesh-eaters and scientists want to study it, they'd need government funding, which means a tax raise. A tax raise will cause people to be up in arms about it. We already have  stuff that we know little about, and then the government suddenly wants more tax money to research such a ludicrous disease.

If we get any information on a zombie outbreak or, heaven forbid, a zombie apocalypse, it will not be through the government or the mainstream media. Likely, most of us wouldn't even recognize the truth until it was breaking down our front door.

BUT here's my detailed plan that anyone's free to use:
1. Gather a party, preferably 5 to 10 people. This makes the work easier once you get your defensible location, not to mention you can hold more supplies.

2. Find a really old prison, like Alcatraz, where you have those really high concrete walls. One way in and one way out, probably.

3. Loot the prison. There's blankets, pillows, medical supplies, etc. There's likely running water so you'll need to find buckets, keep them covered to avoid any extra bacteria. You'll need that water for bathing and washing as well as drinking.

4. If you know your selected prison has dirt, bring seeds. You'll have a constant source of food, albeit maybe not food you like. That water mentioned beforehand will water your plants as well.

5. Best to bring a power source, or otherwise rig one from a stationary bicycle to create a self-generator. This keeps you fit and healthy if you suddenly have to make a run for it.

6. Make whatever defenses you can inside the prison. Again this works better in a group because you can take shifts.
BandGeekBarclay

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2012, 07:24AM »

I've got my plan:Pmuskets

Hole up in my school - has fences all around it which will be easy to make near impenetrable
It has a few entrances and exits, but tons of heavy desks and wood and whatnot with which to fortify shut
Has lots of food in the canteen, and a supermarket nearby for raiding
Several floors which can be sealed off incase they get in somehow

Furthermore, I know a guy who has shotguns and ammunition - a rarity in Scotland! So we're bringing him, and the guy whose father is one of them historical re-enactors, complete with muskets and ammunition, gunpowder, swords and battleaxes.

I'm set for nearly any type of zombie ;P
K.Trinh4213

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2012, 07:31AM »

I've got my plan:Pmuskets

Hole up in my school - has fences all around it which will be easy to make near impenetrable
It has a few entrances and exits, but tons of heavy desks and wood and whatnot with which to fortify shut
Has lots of food in the canteen, and a supermarket nearby for raiding
Several floors which can be sealed off incase they get in somehow

Furthermore, I know a guy who has shotguns and ammunition - a rarity in Scotland! So we're bringing him, and the guy whose father is one of them historical re-enactors, complete with muskets and ammunition, gunpowder, swords and battleaxes.

I'm set for nearly any type of zombie ;P

If your school has chainlink fences, that'll only old up for so long. Eventually, they'll get into the courtyard/campus, whatever. Best to bar your windows if that happens; save your ammo when you have to run.

And from what I know of musket balls, they're highly inaccurate unless at a short distance (say 20 meters?). As they used to say "until you see the whites of their eyes." And back then, they weren't usually aiming at the head, they were aiming where it'd be easier to hit. The best you might be able to do with musket and musketballs would be to rip off a zombie's limb.

And another thing I forgot about defense: BRING EARPLUGS. That moaning and screaming from zombies will quite literally drive you insane.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2012, 08:10AM »

Hey!  I just realized.  You live in Harrisburg!  Don't you have a bunch of them already in the State House? :-P :-P :-P Evil Evil Evil

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
badger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2012, 08:28AM »

There are list of what one needs. I would add this specialty item.

http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax

Find an abandoned missile silo from the Cold War era ( there are some in Texas ), and wait it out.
K.Trinh4213

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2012, 08:33AM »

Hey!  I just realized.  You live in Harrisburg!  Don't you have a bunch of them already in the State House? :-P :-P :-P Evil Evil Evil

There's always gonna be people who don't belong in government. *cough*LindaThompson*cough* *cough*RickSantorum*cough* Excuse me, still trying to get over a cold.  Evil Evil

There are list of what one needs. I would add this specialty item.

http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax

Find an abandoned missile silo from the Cold War era ( there are some in Texas ), and wait it out.

Pretty sure you can use any rounds. Doesn't have to be "Z-Max"  :/
Don Draper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2012, 02:16PM »

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.....

Gotta have it...
BandGeekBarclay

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:41AM »

If your school has chainlink fences, that'll only old up for so long. Eventually, they'll get into the courtyard/campus, whatever. Best to bar your windows if that happens; save your ammo when you have to run.

And from what I know of musket balls, they're highly inaccurate unless at a short distance (say 20 meters?). As they used to say "until you see the whites of their eyes." And back then, they weren't usually aiming at the head, they were aiming where it'd be easier to hit. The best you might be able to do with musket and musketballs would be to rip off a zombie's limb.

The fences seem strong, and we won't venture out much, so it's unlikely the zombs'll find out where we are! If they do break through, then the doors, walls and windows are hard enough to get into WITHOUT any re-inforcement, so with a bit of work they should hold up.

Failing that, the upper floors will contain a lot of supplies and cooking equipment, and are again easy to block off.

The muskets would only ever be used if they were close enough to get in, so we'd probably have a decent chance of getting them - but we also will have shotguns, battleaxes, claymores (the big swords) and what have you for taking out very small groups, in order to not alert the rest.

I also assume zombs will eventually "die" out, through starvation, culling and what have you, and we should have sufficient resources to last 2 or so years.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:59PM »

I don't think bullets are any good against zombies. They just twitch a bit and keep on coming. No, you've got to chop them up or set fire to them. So, Americans, much though it hurts to do it, you'll finally have to chuck away those precious firearms and grab the hatchet and flamethrower.... :D

In vodka veritas
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2012, 10:47PM »

I don't think bullets are any good against zombies.
Depends on where you hit 'em. Torso shots are pretty useless. The generally accepted approach is to take out a leg joint (knee or hip) to immobilize them.

No, you've got to chop them up or set fire to them.
Chopping requires getting up close and personal - not a good idea. And setting them on fire while they're still moving? That just means you've got flaming zombies running around.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:11PM »

Tricky. Perhaps you're right. Chop 'em off at the knees with a machine gun.

In vodka veritas
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:50PM »

Chop 'em off at the knees with a machine gun.
Bad choice in a post-apocalypse environment where you've got to scrounge for supplies; you'd waste too much ammunition. Besides, contrary to what the rest of the world seems to think, the vast majority of us live in jurisdictions where private ownership of automatic weapons is not allowed.

A shotgun is the traditional anti-zombie implement, particularly in urban environments.

Like the chicken says:
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2012, 01:07AM »

You'd have to be a darn good shot to get an advancing zombie in the kneecap, particularly when it's dark. Amazed

In vodka veritas
Oli T

"Mmm chops..."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:08AM »

Best defence against Zombies without any doubt is a Zombie outfit.

"Oh - Hi! GGggrrrraaaahhh, yeah I Zombie already! GGGGrrraaaaah.... got brains?"

Perfect.
Eastcheap

""It's the only song I know.""

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:51AM »

No, you've got to chop them up or set fire to them.

According to Sheriff McClelland:

"Well, there's no problem. If you have a gun, shoot 'em in the head. That's a sure way to kill 'em. If you don't, get yourself a club or a torch. Beat 'em or burn 'em. They go up pretty easy."

So, Americans, much though it hurts to do it, you'll finally have to chuck away those precious firearms and grab the hatchet and flamethrower.... :D

Sure, you say that now, but you'll be singing a different tune when you're desperately trying to find a pub with a functional rifle over the bar.
mfoley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:21PM »

Best defence against Zombies without any doubt is a Zombie outfit.

"Oh - Hi! GGggrrrraaaahhh, yeah I Zombie already! GGGGrrraaaaah.... got brains?"

I apologize I can't remember the name of the movie, but this guy manages to get himself cornered by a hoard of zombies.  As they close in, suddenly it dawns on him to start acting just like them - so he starts the whole zombie routine - the shuffling walk, the wide-eyed, blank-faced, straight-ahead stare, arms extended, empty vocalizations.

He makes it through the crowd of them using this ruse, peaking around periodically to see if it was actually working.

He got away - but not before one of the zombies got suspicious by his peaking, and started checking him out.  He started pouring the act on REALLY thick then lol.  I'd hate to have to put it to the test, myself.

(Sorry for the editing - I meant to "quote" but hit the wrong button! RHM)
(No problem RHM, I think I got it back to the original context  ;-))
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012, 04:11AM by mfoley » Logged
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2012, 10:44PM »

You'd have to be a darn good shot to get an advancing zombie in the kneecap, particularly when it's dark. Amazed
Thus, the shotgun rather than a rifle or handgun. No need to hit a knee, either - pretty much anyplace on either leg will suffice.

Like the chicken says:
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: