Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

923919 Posts in 60509 Topics- by 14503 Members - Latest Member: kdelikat
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) New Brand on the market K&G Mouthpieces
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Brand on the market K&G Mouthpieces  (Read 1665 times)
jumbo

View Profile
« on: Apr 07, 2012, 02:53PM »

Hi all, I am relatively new on this trombone forum and whilst reading few of the comments I forced myself to send this info.

I am a trombone and euphonium player with 20years of experience. For a long time I had a problem finding a ( perfect set up ) on both instruments. I am very concious that no perfect mouthpiece exists. After trying a plenty of brands finally I settled down by contacted the K&G Mouthpieces ( http://www.kandgmouthpieces.com/ ).
I can say that these Maltese makers did a really great job and though no one can tell what's good or not on the internet, and by not listen that particular player, I really recommend these mouthpieces as every player I know they tried it they made many players happy :)

Enjoy trombone playing  Hi
TBigdaddy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2012, 08:46AM »

Outer shape of their mouthpieces looks like one-piece Doug Elliott's (if there were such)...
jumbo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2012, 11:03PM »

I've got them both they are different from each other.
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2012, 10:41AM »

Seems to be several new great-looking products on the market now...

I've got my work cut out for me!  Although I sincerely doubt my mouthpiece from Doug is getting replaced any time soon.  Maybe a doubling piece though...

Just out of curiosity, a few questions for the OP (if he knows...):

First, they give mm sizes, but do they have comparisons to Bach/Schilke/Wick sizes?  Those are easier to 'assess' without actually putting one's face on the m'pce. 

Second, the cup depths... any relative comparisons for those?  I'd be interested to know.  I found out the hard way that "shallow" means very different things to different manufacturers (anyone played the shallow Warburton pieces?  Black?  The difference is astounding!).

Last, what are the rim shapes like?  They give a generic description on the website. 

Just curious!  Thanks!

-John
Kachu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2012, 11:20AM »

After changing several brands and lot of mouthpieces finally I settled with this brand. Their mouthpieces are superb. About the perfect mouthpiece yes there are if a musician knows what he wants and adopt for his style of playing but if a musician didnt know what he wants he will never find the perfect mouthpiece and you will spend thousands of dollars for nothing. About the design are different from Doug Elliott I have both brands.Other brands like bach, Schilke, Greg black, Conn, yamaha and others look the same but playability are different. I purchased K&G mouthpieces and Im more than happy. Its a must to try or meet them in July in Paris in the International trombone festival. About sizes its very easy to compare with bach and Denis wick if a player play with wick 6 a musician have to know that inside diameter is 25.4mm K&G 6 mouthpieced is 25.4mm. They have all rim diameteres to compare with. Finally I will say looking forward to see them
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2012, 11:36AM »

The above doesn't really answer my questions...

Some of this is starting to sound like a thinly-veiled sales pitch... which mods and users on this forum don't really dig.

-John
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2012, 11:51AM »

From my copy of Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language:

shill--- n. Slang. A person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game etc.

mark-- 15.an object of derision, scorn, hostile schemes, swindling or the like:"He was an easy mark."

Soooooo many coincidences-- the exterior bears a marked resemblance to an Elliott mouthpiece, which they admit to having.

Check out the endorsing artists on the website. They've had the mouthpieces for:
A. days
B.three weeks
C. "months"
D. All of the above
(the answer is D)

I enjoyed the endorsing Maltese tubist. K&G DO NOT produce tuba mouthpieces.

Calling moderators, can we get a ruling here??? The same spelling errors on the website are here on TTF posts.
Personally, I'm going to wait until they come out with the famous " Nigerian Prince" model before I buy one !
Kachu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2012, 11:55AM »

What questions I have to answer to you. I just post my opinion if you want to know about any specs dont ask here ask their comnpany
Dan Hine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2012, 12:02PM »

I see where others are coming from but I think mostly what is going on here is unfamiliarity with the English language.  It doesn't help that their first posts here are about mouthpieces they endorse.  Well, at least the OP does and does not try to hide it.  His name is in his profile, on the K&G website and the site of the Malta philharmonic.  Of course, it could be a fake but I doubt it.

As for the latest post by Kachu, we have forums to share ideas and information.  You have first hand experience so your opinion matters.  Saying "I like these but don't ask me anything about them" damages your (and their) credibility.

- Dan

More than anything, being a member of TTF has taught me where (and where NOT) to shop.

Hine Fidelity
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2012, 12:11PM »

I see where others are coming from but I think mostly what is going on here is unfamiliarity with the English language.  It doesn't help that their first posts here are about mouthpieces they endorse.  Well, at least the OP does and does not try to hide it. 

I suppose it's silly for me and others to keep belaboring this point since it never really changes anything... but I was under the impression that pushing products was not welcome on this forum outside the classifieds?  It's really, really frustrating having to wade through all the agenda-based posts just to discuss products.  I don't think that this forum is meant to be free ad space. 

That said, if these products are legit I'd love to try them.  Sharing information is one of the purposes of this forum.  Sharing opinions is cool; but there's a very fine line between that and pitching, a line that which many posters straddle with frequency, and a bunch of us are fairly tired of it.

-John
trombonehawaii

"Euphonium/Composer"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2012, 01:14PM »

After viewing this post and the website, I contacted them over the last two days and both Gilbert and Dennis have been very helpful and quick responding to my questions about what mouthpiece they recommend. If you contact them, they will answer; their english is very understandable with occasional grammatical errors which is acceptable.

I didn't ask for comparisons against other mouthpieces (other than mine) but they do try to do their research (searching for mouthpiece specs) on the mouthpiece you are comparing. Their primary way of finding a solution appears to be adjusting the inner rim diameter from what I could tell from their response.

Note: I was comparing my DEG Brian Bowman BB2BT mouthpiece against their mouthpieces which they suggested their 5.5D euphonium mouthpiece because I was looking for something to help open up my sound a little. Not sure if I am going to order one yet, especially since they do not provide a return policy, but considering.

Jordan

- Schiller Elite Compensating Euphonium in Nickel Plating

-- Doug Elliott EUPH LN104.J.J9

wjygmusic.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: