Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

956787 Posts in 63181 Topics- by 15429 Members - Latest Member: joro2548
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WIBC Audition???  (Read 1997 times)
redbackjam

View Profile
« on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:52PM »

Hi
For those of you who don't know what WIBC is its stands for Western International Band Clinic. It's pretty much something you audition for and if you make it you go to a place and stay there for 3-4 days and play music and then preform. It's pretty fun and I loved it last year.
I noticed this year that there were two different things you could use to audition
1) your all-state audition material (rebu
2) playing the two solos they give you
I was wondering which one would give you a better seating. I'm just saying, lets say that I both of them with equal technique, sound quality, intonation, etc. (pretty much if I played them the same), then which one would give me a better seat?
I'm asking this because according to my sister she auditioned once with the two solos rather than the all-state material (and she played them exceptionally well) and didn't get a very good seat. I'm not sure if this was because she played the solos rather than the all-state stuff, or because she didn't play so well (Although she said she did).
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2012, 09:02AM »

If it's anything like the All New England process here in the northeast, they're judging you the same way that all state judges do- they're trying to get an idea of your musicality, technicality, breath control, intonation, flexibility, range... etc all in the course of a 5 minute audition.

The one thing that I will mention is that the prepared pieces seem to be slightly less 'ambitious' than would be all-state or all-northwest audition pieces. That Handel "Allegro in Cm" played well would do you a lot more favors than would Saint-Saens "Cavatine" played poorly, but the former stays within a two octave F scale, so your intonation/flexibility above the staff (where a lot of high school band music puts the first bone) remains unclear. So, if you'd had a superb high range, the Handel wouldn't be the piece you should choose to best present yourself for the judges.

Why don't you tell us what your all-state audition piece will be?

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
redbackjam

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:22PM »

You need to play a chromatic scale.
This is the first option:
ROMBONE Rubank Advanced Method for Trombone/Baritone, Vol 1 (Voxman and Gower) Track 1 Chromatic scale: Low F to Bb 3 using tongued legato quarter notes ascending and descending. (Quarter note = 72) Track 2 Page 17, exercise 57. (Quarter note = 72) Track 3 Page 27, exercise 11, top part. (Quarter note = 112) Track 4 Page 65, exercise 9. (Quarter note = 100)
(this was the direct quote on the website)

Also, the other option are the solos and if you scroll down to the trombone section on the website below, it will have the two solos.

http://www.bandworld.org/pdfs/WIBCAudALLMusic.pdf
THANKS!
TromPwner
Grammar Deputy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03PM »

Hi
Cool another fellow trombonist doing WIBC. Maybe I'll see you next year at all-state and WIBC next year. I was in the thunderbird band this year. What were you in?

Shires ETB634G by Andreas Eastman- Schilke 51D
Getzen 1050- Vincent Bach 6 1/2 AL
redbackjam

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29PM »

Oh... I was only in the second lowest (i forget what it was called) but I was first chair, although I probably didnt deserve it... Hopefully ill see you next year! My name is Eli Son
Im not that good by the way... Im only a freshman...
What did you play for your auditions?
TromPwner
Grammar Deputy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:03PM »

Oh cool! I'm a freshman, I really didn't deserve 1st trombone in thunderbird, because my audition was good, but when I heard some of the other people in my section I was like "Holy crap!!!".
I did the Allegro in Cm piece but make sure You use ALTERNATE POSITIONS!. This will come in handy a lot when doing Ds in 4th and that tricky section with (measure 16 approximately) #            
You want to use 5th for the Bb and 6th for the A natural. Also at measure 40 use D in 4th postion since you're right next to it with C and B natural.
Good luck and see you there!
So I believe you were in Sunbird.
I had some friends in there.
My name is Caidin Cheney.

Shires ETB634G by Andreas Eastman- Schilke 51D
Getzen 1050- Vincent Bach 6 1/2 AL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: