Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

950109 Posts in 62854 Topics- by 15181 Members - Latest Member: peaceonearth.mcc
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Muscle (?) pain under jaw bone  (Read 4306 times)
Sibelius2

View Profile
« on: Apr 30, 2012, 09:25AM »

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some irritation in one spot on the under side of my jaw bone off and on for a couple months. It actually first started around Easter of last year, but went away for a while. It is very close to the bone, so I thought for a while that it might be the bone, but now I think otherwise. It aches every now and then after playing, and irritates me a bit while playing sometimes too. It's never super painful, but bothersome nonetheless and more noticeable in the past 2 weeks -- perhaps because I've had these two weeks off and have been playing a lot less? From what I can tell based off images and diagrams I've seen, it's the mylohyoid muscle -- or an area of the bone around there?

Anyone have any experience with this? Also, for what it's worth I am a horn player.

Resident horn player
mellotbone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2012, 10:38AM »

Any chance you have a TMJ problem.

I do and when it flares up I have referred pain in several places, sometimes including under my jaw.

Along with some ibuprofen, I've learned how to massage my jaw and the trigger points on my face to relieve the pain.
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2012, 10:59AM »

Hi all,

I've been experiencing some irritation in one spot on the under side of my jaw bone off and on for a couple months. It actually first started around Easter of last year, but went away for a while. It is very close to the bone, so I thought for a while that it might be the bone, but now I think otherwise. It aches every now and then after playing, and irritates me a bit while playing sometimes too. It's never super painful, but bothersome nonetheless and more noticeable in the past 2 weeks -- perhaps because I've had these two weeks off and have been playing a lot less? From what I can tell based off images and diagrams I've seen, it's the mylohyoid muscle -- or an area of the bone around there?

Anyone have any experience with this? Also, for what it's worth I am a horn player.
On the underside of your jaw bone are the insertions for the masseter muscle, mylohyoid muscle and the strap muscles of the neck.  They all insert around there.  You also have a saliva gland and lymph nodes there.  If it's the muscles then it could be TMD.  Basically muscle spasms from overuse either consciously or unconsciously.  Treat it like a sports injury; Rest, ice, anti inflammatory's (advil, aleve).  See your dentist. The salivary glands sometimes get backed up and may get stones in them.  Usually you'll have a bad taste in your mouth, not always though.  See your dentist.  Lymph nodes can swell also.  See your dentist if the rest and ice don't work.  If he can't find anything then he may send you to your physician.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:39PM by ronkny » Logged

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
Sibelius2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:13PM »

Yikes! Thanks for the tips!

PS - No further wisdom teeth problems after the extraction you coached me through last summer! ;-) Though still a big hole!

Resident horn player
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: