Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1060981 Posts in 70655 Topics- by 18459 Members - Latest Member: Jande
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ones that got away.  (Read 41485 times)
greg waits
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:39AM »

I almost posted this on 'found on the net'.

Have you ever spotted an incredible deal on a nice horn, only to get beaten to the punch? Well that just happened to me.

I spotted this one on craigslist while browsing under different Texas cities.

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/msg/3006162571.html

Yes, that is a mid-60s 6H, and he wanted $50. 

SOLD damn! :cry:
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 11:15AM »

Not exactly one that got away, but one I threw away  :cry: I found a Dave Smith Prophet '08 Special Edition synthesizer (one of 300 ever made, signed by Dave himself) at a pawn shop for $500, a true steal. I however needed money so I sold it (for $1700...). The cash was nice then but I think I would have enjoyed having the board more now  Good!

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
lingon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:22AM »

...Prophet '08 Special Edition synthesizer...
...The cash was nice then but I think I would have enjoyed having the board more now...
More fun than many of the old metal objects we usually use.  Amazed
So from this we learn, never sell anything you may have some use for it in the future.  Idea!

John Lingesjo
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:25AM »

I've been beaten sev. times, don' recall what they were. One I won: on Seattle Craig's List, a 2nd owner 1938 Olds Super appeared for $150, I was the first responder (among many).  Coffin case, lyre, no slide locks.  (Matched my birth year.) Owner'd had it since the early 50s, played in HS & college (marched without the locks), then it reclined in a basement unplayed. 

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:51AM »

More fun than many of the old metal objects we usually use.  Amazed
So from this we learn, never sell anything you may have some use for it in the future.  Idea!

I tend to follow that motto, and subsequently run out of room  :D

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
livecat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:02AM »

I have a garage sale find from 2 weeks ago.  Gal was selling her high school trombones, and I picked up her mid 70's 42B for $50.  Plays great.  I may have used up my winning the lottery karma on that one.
greg waits
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:15PM »

I have a garage sale find from 2 weeks ago.  Gal was selling her high school trombones, and I picked up her mid 70's 42B for $50.  Plays great.  I may have used up my winning the lottery karma on that one.

Great story!
Jox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:11PM »

There was a horn estate sale and there were two that stuck out.

A Salvation Army model G bass trombone in GREAT condition for $200.
 A Conn double bell euphonium for $700. Yeah the only picture I could find of this online was in a catalog from the 1900s.

If only I wasn't a poor interning college kid. :(

Xavier Gonzalez
BME- Stetson University
MM- University of Florida
Bach 50BG Greenhoe- Doug Elliot MB109 J-8
Selmer Bolero- Conn Goldtone
WakaWaka555

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2012, 08:30PM »

I saw an ad on craigslist that was listed in my small CA town, and within fifteen minutes of the posting, i called the guy, drove to his house, and bought a King 2B Liberty for $50.  :)
DaveBb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2012, 11:34AM »

Some background: Bach Strads of any description are very rare around here and seldom seen for sale.

Here's the online auction description:
Bach, Tenor/Bass Trombone B Flat, F & E
Comes complete with hard case and stand. Beautiful movement in slide and tuning valves. All in excellent condition.

What was in the photos was a 50B2, silver plated with a French-style case so I guess 1970s.  From the photos the "excellent" description was likely accurate. The location was a bit out of the way (a 1 hour flight plus a 3 hour drive for me) if you didn't want to risk shipping.

Unfortunately a bass was not on our houshold's "most needed things" list at the time so I didn't bid. Opening bid was $500 and only reached only somewhere in the $600s. Reserve was $850. The auction site has a facility for the seller to make a fixed price offer to bidders if the reserve isn't met, and it was sold this way. I presume the price was about what the reserve was.

The dollar values I've quoted are $NZ. NZ$1 = US$0.75

At least it went to a good home.  :/
tbonejeff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2012, 07:03AM »

Like some other responders here, I have lucked out on a couple of instruments.

I found a Holton bass trumpet in the back room of a music store in the Chicago area, back in the mid 80's. Some small dents, but quite playable. I paid about $50.

At the Kane County (IL) monthly flea market, back in the 80s or early 90s, I found a Buffet clarinet for $50. Turns out it's an early R13 from the mid-50s. It included a Kasper mouthpiece, which could be worth more than my cost for the whole thing.

Jeff Peterson
LeoInFL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2012, 08:37AM »

i've been very lucky when it comes to finding nice horns. best ones to date:

a near mint King 3BF for $75

a great Olds Super for $35

i believe both were found on CL.

all of my current horns (see my sig) were bought for $300-500. various websites.

Leo
CFC Arts Symphony Orchestra
Orlando Concert Band (sub)

'54 Olds Custom (Olds 2)
    Yamaha YSL-684G (Carbonaria)
'05 Getzen 3047AFR  (Bousfield S)
'56 B&H Imperial Euph (Bach 6 1/2-E)
connman93

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2012, 09:05PM »

I have a story that fits this thread perfectly, sadly...

My first professional model horn was a Holton TR169 from 1969 that I got in 7th grade from a guy at my church for $75. He wanted to give it to me for free but my parents wanted to pay something for it.

For quite a while I had no idea what I had, until just about a year ago. 4 years or so ago, I was playing tenor trombone parts on this bass trombone and I was told by my private teacher that I should get a tenor because in high school I wasn't at the point where it would be in my best interest to play bass trombone. So I sold the Holton for $1000 and picked up a quite nice Gen II 88h.

If I had any idea what I had there's no way in hell I would have sold it. I don't even know who bought it either, I sold it on consignment through a music store. So, now I'm keeping my eyes peeled and saving my pennies to buy the first one I see. I couldn't care how expensive it is, that horn played like a dream for me so I'll pay anything to have one back...  :cry:

Evan Clifton
Bass Trombonist - West Michigan Symphony
Bass Trombonist - Battle Creek Symphony (MI)
greg waits
« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2012, 01:52PM »

When I began this thread, I was thinking of opportunities to get a great deal that just slipped away, but the previous post put a new spin on the topic.

My very first horn as a 12 year old was a mid to late 60s Conn 6H. And if my memory serves me well, it was in spotless condition when my mom made the deal.

I had it all the way up to my freshman year in high school. At that point, I started to excel, and when I made Symphonic band, I realized I was the only kid with a non-trigger horn. My private teacher encouraged me to get a Bach 42B. We looked around and found just one in the Dallas area music stores.

So my dad (God rest his soul) made a deal. Not knowing what I would realize later, I didn't speak up when a trade in of my 6H was included in the deal.

Then when I got into college I was asked where is my jazz horn. Oh hell.

Then about 30 some odd years later I came full circle and am now back on the 6H. (after a detour on Bach 12s)

Which makes me recall when in 1984 I found a minty Conn 10H in a pawn shop for $75. Not playing Conns at the time, I flipped it for a little profit. Damn, I wish I had that one back too!
Roger Anderson
Perpetual Student of Low Brass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2012, 03:49PM »

My very first trombone.  It lasted until my senior year of high school, when I got a Van Haney model Holton TR158 for Christmas and college.

My first trombone was an Olds beginning band trombone from the mid 1970s.  Not a great trombone.

But it was my first one.

I loaned it to a friend in college because he needed one for low brass methods class.

But I went to England not long after that and by the time I had gotten back, my friend had graduated and moved.

I haven't seen that little trombone since.

It wasn't a great trombone.  But it was my first one.  I troll ebay looking for one just like it and when I find one, they always want more than I want to pay for such a trombone.

Roger E. A.
Perpetual student of low brass

Bachelors Degree in Music Education/Instrumental Conducting Grand Canyon University
Master of Arts in Music Education Arizona State University
Doctor of Philosophy in Music Education at Arizona State (in progress)
Trombone player since 1976.
EdGrissom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2012, 07:37PM »

There is a 1967 Holton Collegiate in a pawnshop here for 120 bucks.  Its in pretty good shape but I just don't know if I should go get it.  What say you?

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? If a man makes a statement and no woman is there to hear it, is he still wrong?"
salsabone

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2012, 07:45PM »

Just my 2 cents!!  I do not have my very first trombone - a Holton Collegiate that my dad bought for $5 - I still have my most important second(first real bone) that my parents got me for the next christmas.  A nickle bell curved brace King Tempo that I still have and I played as my only horn from 8th grade until 2 years out of college.  I am very happy that I still have the horn and still use it every once in a while!! :)

Go for the The Topper you wimps!!!
Lockr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2012, 08:10PM »

Yeah, I still miss my King 2B that I sold a few years back for $500. 

3B+
2nd chair, 2nd time around around Band.
Richard Tadaki

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2012, 10:12PM »

As a lover of Earl Williams Custom Trombones, I am sad to say that I've had opportunities to buy models 7, 9, and 10.  That problem was always a lack of funds.  A pity, really.   :(

Aloha,
Richard
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2012, 08:38AM »

Or let get away.  I had one small dent in my slide on my 1975 Bach 42B, but the repairman ran a reamer through both outer tubes instead of finessing the job.  Slide still functioned but I was heartbroken.  Sold it in 1989 for $325. 
Case 2:  Had a 1976 King 3B (no frills model) with coffin case that was bought through Giardinelli's as a "factory second" or "blem".  Don't know if one can even get seconds anywhere any more.  Horn always felt a bit stiff to me, slide was never quite 100% and I sold it in 1999 for $475.  Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: