Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1061336 Posts in 70659 Topics- by 18472 Members - Latest Member: emikulak
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ones that got away.  (Read 41514 times)
Dennis Clason

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2012, 09:24PM »

I had a 2B Silversonic I picked up for a song my sophomore year in college.  My first year in grad school, I'd stopped playing jazz (and had my 36B if I started up again) and I was in a cash-crunch after moving from California to the midwest.  I sold the 2B for twice what I paid for it.  If I had a time machine, I'd use it to send two messages to myself.

The first one?  "That's a really nice 2B.  Don't even think about selling it, even if it means eating mac-and-cheese and ramen noodles for a month.  If you sell it, you'll regret it later.  And whatever you do, if you do have to sell it, don't sell it to a metal dealer!"

The other one?  When I was a kid in Hilo, we had a big avocado tree in our front yard.  I didn't care much for avocados then.  Me now would tell me then, "Look, knucklehead -- in your future you're going to love avocados and you're going to pay a buck or more each for them.  Eat all of those things you can get!"

--
If it sounds good, it is good -- Duke Ellington
Once more, once -- Count Basie
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2012, 03:02PM »

LOL Dennis! 

trbnchase
Never look at the trombones, You'll only encourage them

"Racine Concert Band"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2012, 07:19PM »

I just missed out on a Martin Committee that was $230.  I don't know how good of a deal that is, but to me it is a great deal.  Usually Committees in the condition this one was in seem to go for like $400-$500.  I was pretty bummed about that. 

On a good note I bought a Martin Dansant for $90 bucks!  It is very tarnished but the slide moves well and after cleaning it up a bit I found the gold wash bell is still intact!  So that buy really cheered me up!

1922 Martin Dansant, 1930 Buescher True-Tone, 1933 H.N. White Silvertone Model 1455, 1947 Martin Committee, 1985 Vincent Bach Stradivarius LT16M, 2006 Vincent Bach Stradivarius 36BO, 19?? Modified King 5B/Edwards Bass Trombone, 2004 Yamaha YSL 354
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Sep 28, 2012, 12:59PM »

So I'm walking my dog, and my neighbor of 20 years across the street says: "You play trombone. I have one here; my son stopped playing. I want to sell it."

1953 6H - Serial 425xxx.

The slide was put away wet about 20 years ago, so I see a bone bath in my future.

It didn't get away yet, but my wife won't let me keep it.

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno Bass, & '74 Bach 42B (played regularly)
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 29, 2012, 08:51AM »

Many wives.
You can re-marry.
Few primo 6H's.

Judge yourself accordingly, Martin.
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 29, 2012, 09:58AM »

Chauncey Welsh's Bach 8.  Was in Ferguson's one day... played it, loved it, was gone the next day.  BLAST!

-John
sdjazz
"The Bird"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 30, 2012, 07:07PM »

Just today, there was a prime condition old marching valve bone on eBay for $250. However, I needed to wait until my parents got home to consider it. The thing was bought 30 minutes before they got home. >:(

Shires .547"
Getzen 1062FD
Yamaha YEP-642II

San Diego State University Class of 2018 - Music Education & Performance
Santa Clara Vanguard 2015, 2016 - Baritone
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 30, 2012, 07:28PM »

An Olds single Bass on eBay today... I didn't need it, but I like the lightness of a single valve... Went cheap too. $650 or so? The bid ended a little before I decided I should take a shot.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 01, 2012, 07:48AM »

Torobone, that is the stuff of dreams.  I grew up in VT, and an old farm family next town over had a 1930s NY Bach 16 shoved away in the back of the barn or something, unplayed for years.  Lacquer was mostly gone, but all else including case was near orig condition.  I tried to lowball the hillbillies, playing up the age of the horn, then walk away cheap with the prize.  But alas, they had heard good things about the horn from others, were wise to my scheme, and the horn was not for sale  :cry:

TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 01, 2012, 02:19PM »

Torobone, that is the stuff of dreams.  I grew up in VT, and an old farm family next town over had a 1930s NY Bach 16 shoved away in the back of the barn or something, unplayed for years.  Lacquer was mostly gone, but all else including case was near orig condition.  I tried to lowball the hillbillies, playing up the age of the horn, then walk away cheap with the prize.  But alas, they had heard good things about the horn from others, were wise to my scheme, and the horn was not for sale  :cry:

I hate it when this stuff happens.  I saw what looked like a perfect older hand-engraved 8h sitting on a shelf at an Applebee's as a prop.  I asked if I could buy it and they adamantly stated that none of their props are for sale.  Grumble. 

-John
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:12PM »

Update: The slide bath worked. The owner said the horn was restored, and it looks great. The bath loosened things up, and a few paper towels later, a snake, then a couple of cleaning rods later, and the horn is a reasonably good 6H. It has the heavier yellow brass slide. The only imperfections are 2 ballpoint pen-sized dents on the side of the bell. I'm not sure the case is the correct vintage, but it's in great shape as well.

I've owned a 1965 Connstellation 48H since 1975. I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison, and mix and match the slides. I even want to weigh the parts. If it turns out well, I'll put it on youtube. If not, well, I'll write about it instead.  Sing it!

For the playing I do, I'll likely stick with my 891Z afterwards. It will still be fun to play both Conns.

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno Bass, & '74 Bach 42B (played regularly)
octavposaune

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2012, 08:46PM »

hi all,

Good Karma has shown upon me again. I now own a utility grade Mirafone 4 valved BBb tuba. I have had a rough week dealing with some personal personnel issues. A friend recommended me for purchasing this horn and whalah!  300 later and I own a tuba finally. Probably a 186. Needs lots of work but it sounds great!  Another moment of Joy at something that didnt get a way!

Benn
tbarh

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 02, 2012, 03:50AM »

Hi Benn Hi

What did You get in trade for the Conn ? Should be something really interesting !

Trond
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 02, 2012, 05:28AM »

John, a vintage 8H relegated to the wall at Applebee's??  For shame!  Even worse that they wouldn't sell.  Do you know any good cat burglars?  ;-)   At least my VT farm boys knew what they had.

TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 03, 2012, 01:20PM »

John, a vintage 8H relegated to the wall at Applebee's??  For shame!  Even worse that they wouldn't sell.  Do you know any good cat burglars?  ;-)   At least my VT farm boys knew what they had.

For shame indeed! The really lame part is that they probably got all of those wall props at garage sales or whatnot. So there's some other ignorant person out there who sold them the thing.

-John
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Oct 03, 2012, 03:12PM »

:(  John

Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 08, 2012, 02:15PM »

For shame indeed! The really lame part is that they probably got all of those wall props at garage sales or whatnot. So there's some other ignorant person out there who sold them the thing.

See if they'll trade it for a Bundy.

Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5Y
Edwards T396-A
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 11, 2012, 09:51AM »

Or a King Cleveland  ;-)

FerhyaSlide
Trombones for Dinner.

"I'm a Boner"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Oct 17, 2012, 12:40AM »

not really a story linking to the name of the thread, but it fits in the storys told here
My best friend bought a Baritone horn (unknown brand), it looked terrible, but the valves were ok. The sound was good in high register, low really didn't do much to the heart.
I took the horn, just to try it out for a week. I put some silver-polish and brass-polish to it, and cleaned the outside.
Then we put it up for sale on the same website he bought it.
Bought for 125,-
Sold it for 250,-
I've worked like 2 hours on cleaning it inside and outside.
Fun days =-]

Sander de Vos
(Bass)Trombone, Euphonium, Baritone and Sousaphone
tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Oct 17, 2012, 08:52AM »

As mentioned, offer a bundy or clevland, or BOTH, and throw a $100 bill to boot.
For 2 horns & $100 - they may jerk ya arm off!

T.

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: