Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1060969 Posts in 70655 Topics- by 18459 Members - Latest Member: Jande
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ones that got away.  (Read 41481 times)
JimClendenin
JimClendenin

"Seed & Feed Marching Abominable"

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Oct 28, 2013, 07:44AM »

I responded to a craigslist ad for a Bach 42B for 400.00.... I  was one day late.
I was sad...
But... turns out the guy was getting rid of a roomful of horns and I bought a Buescher flugel, a pocket trumpet, and an Olds marching trombone for 300.00 total for all three...
When I met to pick them up, he threw in a Conn/Yamaha cornet that he found while rummaging for the horns we agreed on.
Still, I would rather have had the 42B for 400.00
flyinblonde

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Dec 14, 2013, 12:29PM »

saw an ad in the paper "vintage silver trombone: $200", and decided to take a look.  Turned out to be a Silver plated King 3B-F.  At least thats what I think it is, someone has buffed most of the lettering off, I can faintly see "King" and it has a curved bell brace.  I talked him down to $165.  Needs the stops and a screw on the valve, but the slide is in decent shape, seems to play nicely.  My plan is to replace my 50H I use for concert band, with this.
so I guess this one didn't get away.

blonde but trainable
BassCase

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Dec 15, 2013, 09:24PM »

Ok, here's my sad story.. I purchased a King 6B Silver Sonic from my private teacher my sophomore year of H.S.  I loved that horn and it really loved me back, so to speak, as it was really easy to play and Barked like the most vicious junkyard dog.  The bass bone players in the various local bands would have contests at football games trying to out-do each other across the field.  All great fun though not always the most nuanced way to play.  One day during field practice we were doing some 8-to-5 work when a kid thought it would be fun to nick my baby with his football.  He crumpled that gorgeous sterling silver bell all right.  The band chased him down and scared the bejeebers out of him.  Well, his parents bought me a new one and we had the damaged bell straightened really nicely.  So I had a brand new horn and a field horn, both 6B 'Sonics.  After I graduated, I thought I wanted to be a photographer, so in order to fund my new hobby I sold both horns.  So for me, these two beautiful horns are my ones that I "SENT AWAY".  Now a pristine one can run for 4k or so.  Won't be getting one any time soon.  Cheers
Don Draper

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:50AM »

In 1997 I was in Dick Akrights' shop in Oakland waiting on a repair and he said, "try this".

It was a '50s vintage 88H that Mark Lawrence was selling for $1200.  It SANG!!!!!!!!!  Best large bore horn I have ever played.....Every note was perfect....I didn't have the cash at the time. 
Should have sold my car and bought it....

I did buy the 1950 LA Williams he had for sale though.....but that is another story... :D
Davy
« Reply #84 on: Dec 21, 2013, 04:46PM »

Hate to jump on the band wagon of "ones that DIDN'T get away", but.....

I was an antique shop, and they had a 1947 Conn 44H in the Window. Tarnished, battered case, but awesome slide.... $25 later, it was mine.

Also picked up a 4 year old 88HT-O from Craigslist for $650.
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:23PM »

$25 for that Conn, and all it needed was a good cleaning and a case?! :cry:  I wish more store owners were as naive!  Private sellers too!  Evil

rstone902

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Dec 28, 2013, 04:42PM »

Last year I started looking for the same bass bone I had in high school - Conn Artist Symphony 83H.  Unfortunately two weeks before I started looking, one was sold from Toronto for $1400.  Those horns are nice to play, lightweight but sing loud and clear.... for the ones that survived.  Our music department ordered the horn 3 times!  The first two came flat as a pancake.  It took almost 9 months to get a playable horn.
I loved that horn but haven't seen one since.
flyinblonde

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:19AM »

Once in a while I stop in at a couple of local non-profit re-stores, just to look for interesting things, rarely do they have anything musical.  One day I spied a pocket trumpet in the case and asked about it.  A vintage Besson, missing the waterkey and a little ratty, but probably fixable.  Day before payday, I went back a couple of days later and it was gone.  I asked about it, and was told that someone had told them it was a Indian counterfeit and not playable or worth fixing, so they trashed it! :-0  Couldn't believe it, no way was it a copy, just an old horn needing some love.  Even if it wasn't fixable, it would have made cool wall art!
Not sure I believe they would throw it away either, I suspect they just sold it. :(

blonde but trainable
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:54AM »

Well, I have had a couple of horns I owned and sold to students, by mistake, as I look back, many years later.

1. My 1964 King 3B (brass bell). This was the small counterweight King, and I purchased it, new, when I started my first teaching gig in the fall of 1964. This horn took me through my MM recital at UNT and all of the playing I did at UNT my year on campus. I didn't even play an attachment horn at that time. Sold it to a student when I purchased a new, Williams 6 in 1970.

2. In the late 1960's I purchased a used Conn 88H from a trombone-friend of mine. It had a bad slide (typical Elkhart slide stocking wear). In the early 70's there were not good slide-guys, like John Sandhagen, around and the slide always bugged me. Sold it to a student, who, sadly a few years later, perished in a sky-diving accident in MI.

3. My first bass trombone, around 1970, was an Abilene Reynolds Contempora dependent with a D-slide. Sold that one to a student, when I got my first Holton TR-180. Couldn't ever manage that "Magic-Bar" trigger and sent horn to Minick for a split-conversion and a Minick D-slide (open wrap). Later, slide went back to Holton for insertion of a George Roberts pipe, when George was, for a very short time, a Holton clinician. Big mistake, I needed some money after my son was born and sold to a local college student, and replaced the horn with a Yamaha YBL-611-II. Another huuuuuge mistake! >:( >:(

Horns I should have bought:

1. Late 60's new Bach 12. Before starting on bass trombone, I was playing most of my tenor playing on my Williams 6. I was in a Dayton rehearsal band, and the leader was looking for a new trombone and was trying out a Bach 12 from Dayton Band Instruments (DABICO). He passed it around and let all of us try it; and, I thought it played even better than my Williams 6. It hadn't been to long that I had bought my Williams and I knew my wife would kill me, if I bought that Bach 12! BTW, the leader tried my Williams and ordered one from Earl, shortly after.

2. Holton sales rep. loaned a trial Holton TR-181 to players in our area of Ohio, to see if we liked or didn't like it. I thought this particular horn was really a great player, even comparing it to my modified TR-180. I drug my feet and a local college player at Wright State Univ. grabbed it up. That was really a "sweet" playing horn!

3. Ray Torresdal's Greenhoe-Conn 62H. One of the best bass trombones I have ever played.

4. Matthew Walker's single valve Greenhoe TIS Proprietary Bass Trombone. Played it out in the parking lot, behind the music building at Wittenberg, coming back from an ETW, a few years ago. That was, one, sweeeeeet, bass bone, Matt!

I'm done! Good!

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Jazz Central Big Band, Mojo Brass & Springfield (OH) Symphony
BBb Tuba Ohio Valley British Brass Band (OVBBB) & Western Ohio Tuba Quartet
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:56AM »

Wow....how about that? Two Springfielder's posting right after each other! One OR and one OH!

Cool! Way cool

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Jazz Central Big Band, Mojo Brass & Springfield (OH) Symphony
flyinblonde

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:12AM »

Wow....how about that? Two Springfielder's posting right after each other! One OR and one OH!

Cool! Way cool

That is cool!
But my Springfield is the REAL home of the Simpsons, in spite of not winning the contest.  Matt Groening is from these parts, 'tho he denies it on occasion.
Didn't Homer play the trombone?

blonde but trainable
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:27AM »

That is cool!
But my Springfield is the REAL home of the Simpsons, in spite of not winning the contest.  Matt Groening is from these parts, 'tho he denies it on occasion.
Didn't Homer play the trombone?

I think we were in that contest, also, and didn't make it, either! :cry:

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Michael Medrick

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Jan 17, 2014, 03:06PM »

A post elsewhere jogged my memory -

I had a Yamaha 651 - .509 bore, Copper bell and the rest of the horn in nickle plate. It was bought for about $350 as a marching band horn to keep my Bach 42BG off the field. 

Best small bore horn I've ever tried. It went away to pay for a Bach 36G I still own and play...mixed feelings...

"There will never come a time when you don't have to practice." J. J. Johnson.
"If you just play from your heart, you will play incoherently" Slide Hampton
dezignstuff
« Reply #93 on: Jan 18, 2014, 07:06PM »

I had a friend who had a Bach Mt Vernon LT16M. Beautiful horn. I'm not really a Bach guy or a small bore guy, but this horn was seriously lustworthy.  Evil He was going through a divorce and had severe money problems, so he had to sell it to another guy in the band. Then that guy got tired of it and sold it to me. Eventually the original owner got his stuff back together and bought the horn back. I didn't really miss it because I just couldn't fall in love with it for whatever reason. So in the end everybody was happy, we all had a ride on the town bicycle, and my friend got his horn back.
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:54AM »

Dezignstuff, that's a great story. I understand - small Bachs aren't for everyone, though Dick Nash and of course "King" Watrous sound awesome on theirs. I found I need a more "lively" horn to compete with the trumpets etc in big bands  - Bachs are just too "gentlemanly". 

BassCase

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:37AM »

What's so "gentlemanly" about playing the trombone?(yuk,yuk!)
macbone

"If only"

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:09PM »

Good one, BassCase! Good!

ElQuesoBandito

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:55PM »

A true gentleman is someone who knows how to play the trombone but doesn't  :D
BassCase

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:15PM »

Yeah, that would be me.
greg waits
« Reply #99 on: Feb 01, 2014, 12:13AM »

I had a friend who had a Bach Mt Vernon LT16M. Beautiful horn. I'm not really a Bach guy or a small bore guy, but this horn was seriously lustworthy.  Evil He was going through a divorce and had severe money problems, so he had to sell it to another guy in the band. Then that guy got tired of it and sold it to me. Eventually the original owner got his stuff back together and bought the horn back. I didn't really miss it because I just couldn't fall in love with it for whatever reason. So in the end everybody was happy, we all had a ride on the town bicycle, and my friend got his horn back.

There is no such thing as a Mt Vernon Bach 16M. If the bell indicates MTV and the serial # on the slide confirms that era, it will be a dual bore, not a straight .508 bore.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: