Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092682 Posts in 72311 Topics- by 19429 Members - Latest Member: 17williarw
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1950's Recording of CSO Brass Ensemble?  (Read 2115 times)
nolard12

View Profile
« on: Jul 10, 2012, 11:29AM »

I ran across another add by Holton featuring the Holton endorsed Chicago Symphony Brass Ensemble (Adolf "BUD" Herseth, Renold Schilke, Arnold Jacobs, Frank Crisafulli, and Wayne Barrington) and a "new" recording from about 1954. Does anyone have an LP of this recording? or an MP3? It isnt on naxos, iTunes, youtube, pandora, or spotify. On the LP they played Gabrielli, Beethoven, and Hindemith (as advertised, but mentioned other compositions and composers within their repertoire).

Anyone have a copy????

BassBoneFL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2012, 12:48PM »

I ran across another add by Holton featuring the Holton endorsed Chicago Symphony Brass Ensemble (Adolf "BUD" Herseth, Renold Schilke, Arnold Jacobs, Frank Crisafulli, and Wayne Barrington) and a "new" recording from about 1954. Does anyone have an LP of this recording? or an MP3? It isnt on naxos, iTunes, youtube, pandora, or spotify. On the LP they played Gabrielli, Beethoven, and Hindemith (as advertised, but mentioned other compositions and composers within their repertoire).

Anyone have a copy????

I do.... It's of the CSO Brass Quintet (Herseth/Schilke/Cowden/Crisafulli/Jacobs) playing Reiche-Sonata 15 ; Beethoven-Quartet op18 no2 ; Gabrielli-Canzona per Sonare no2 ; Weelkes-A Gay Tune ; Bach-Sarabande and Minuet from French Suite ; Hindemith-Morgen Musik ; Haines-Toccata ; Zindars-Suite ; Lebow-Suite. It was recorded on Audiophile Records Inc - Saukville WI - Record # AP-21

I obtained this demo copy from the Producer/Engineer who was the uncle of a former girlfriend. I also have copies of those old Holton ads from my days working at The Instrumentalist.

Please don't ask me for a copy of it. I've tried several times in the past to locate all the parties involved with the recording (or their heirs) to make a non-profit copy of this recording available through ITA/ITG etc. I became too busy to pursue the matter much further about 8yrs ago when I became involved with Orch Committee business. I won't distribute copies without permission of all involved. (sorry) :(

Occasionally a copy will turn up on Ebay.... (don't count on seeing mine there though)

Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra

S.E. Shires Artist

"Having Yo-Yo Ma give a masterclass to brass players is like hiring Picasso to paint your garage." - Gene Pokorny
patrickosmith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:20AM »

You can listen to most of these on YouTube. In the YouTube search window enter the following: "Trombone Keiji Chicago Symphony Brass".

Here is a link to one of the audio/videos you will find by doing such a search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-a9lSDPYU4

Interestingly enough, the very next video to come up on YouTube is "Edward Kleinhammer and CSO Trombone Section" playing a jazzy/swing style piece with vocals and quite a few solo features by Edward Kleinhammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8iC0U1l7ys
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018, 06:11AM by patrickosmith » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: