Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

950632 Posts in 62883 Topics- by 15209 Members - Latest Member: fusiongun
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: greg waits, tbone62) Complete - YAMAHA Trombone Model List
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Complete - YAMAHA Trombone Model List  (Read 12718 times)
AlfaFreak

View Profile
« on: Jul 17, 2012, 07:22AM »

Hi Trombonists,

I'm hoping to compile a complete list of all the trombone models and specifications.

I am mid way through completing this same task for Yamaha Trumpets and can be seen over on the TrumpetHerald - COMPLETE Yamaha Trumpet Model List.

I'm a professional trumpeter by trade but have never really paid much attention to the finer aspects of trombones until now. I'll be asking for help along the way. I hope this thread and documents I compile can become a one stop shop for all thing relating to Yamaha Trombones.

Check out the trumpet thread linked above for the type of info I'm looking for and will publish in a spreadsheet soon.

Cheers for now.
YamahaCollector
yamahacollector@gmail.com

ParLawGod
The Man Who Doesn't Need a Title

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2012, 10:41AM »

Looks like you are creating a very good resource there. A couple of pages to look at for Yamaha trombones (though they could be outdated, I am not 100% certain) - compiled by Yuen Li Low.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/oy/yuenli/allspecsv2ehtm.htm
http://webspace.webring.com/people/oy/yuenli/discontspecs.html
LeoInFL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2012, 04:55PM »

ALL models of ALL instruments on this Yamaha (Japan) website. Enjoy!

http://parts-search.yamaha.co.jp/html/WIND_ENGLISH/orders/group_e.php

Leo
'project_xj' (eBay)

'76 Bach 39 Alto
     ~  Bach 8
'54 Olds Custom
     ~  Olds 2
'05 Getzen 3047AFR
     ~  Bousfield S4
AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2012, 05:24PM »

Hi LeoInFl,

Whilst working on the trumpet list I've spent a lot of time referencing the Yamaha Japan Parts List linked above. Trust me when I say that it is NOT complete. At least for the trumpet side of things, Yamaha has very little information on Pre-1982 models. Seems like their record keeping was less than fastidious until then. Also, many custom and limited edition models never make their way onto that list. The parts list IS a great tool for tracking minor changes in models though, as it shows 2 different part numbers pre/post a particular serial number. There are also some very specific single region market models Yamaha has also produced that have not made their way onto that list. The list will be used as a basis though.

Most of my research/compilation work is done whilst I'm at "work" so it might be a week or two before I produce my own list.

Thanks also ParLawGod, I'll definately be looking up those lists you reference.

Cheers for now.
YamahaCollector

AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2012, 09:09PM »

Finally got a chance to begin the List, now located...

Complete -YAMAHA Trombone Model Number List

Now before you all jump in and tell me which models I've missed, please forgive me as this is a work in progress and I will update and add more as I have time. Feel free to list additional models and specs. If you feel the spreadsheet requires additional columns please suggest them. I am actually consulting a trombone playing college to format this best for trombone minded people.

Cheers for now
YamahaCollector

furry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2012, 09:18PM »

Don't forget the XT series, I had a XT1 yammy a couple of years ago, played like a pro horn.

I'm always thinking about creating. My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life. ~ Miles Davis
AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2012, 09:48PM »

Hi Ryan, thanks for reminding me about the XT range. If the trombone range reflects the trumpet range, the XT's were only produced for a period of approximately 1 year. If my memory serves me correctly they were marketed at a similar point to the Allegro range. I am also led to believe these instruments were only available in the United States from a very few select retailers.

WaltTrombone
Former Titler of Teh Bick!

"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2012, 07:51AM »

The YSL 871 Alto, which originally was part of the Custom series, was available for just a few years in the 80s. In the last year or two, Yamaha has come out with another alto, also labelled YSL 871. I'm not sure of the specs for the new one, and how, if at all, it differs from the original 871.

Walter Barrett
http://www.walterbarrett.com/
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombones
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2012, 08:00PM »

Is there any way to date a Yamaha by serial number???
Even close guesses by serial number?

There must be a million YSL-354s out there...and nobody knows how old any of them are based on serial number??
AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2012, 08:27PM »

Hi BonesMarsh,

Yamaha serial numbers are a pain to work out / date from as they are NOT issued chronologically. If you look at my initial post, I have linked to the stuff I have done with Yamaha Trumpets and part of that is creating a live serial number database. I will try and get a similar one for Yamaha Trombones up and running ASAP. Once a large enough sample of serial numbers with some confirmed NEW purchase date reference points it will allow dating to become possible. One thing to remember though is that Yamaha has the capability to produce a large batch of instruments and stockpile them before selling them on to retailers who then may again have them as stock for extended periods before selling them NEW.

I have communicated with Yamaha and they WILL  supply a manufacture date if supplied with a model and serial number. You need to contact Yamaha Band and Orchestral Division in the US or Yamaha UK as far as I know. Contact via email.

I have no idea why Yamaha seems to be so secretive about their serial numbers and manufacture dates.

Cheers
YamahaCollector

WaltTrombone
Former Titler of Teh Bick!

"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2012, 05:02AM »

One of the things about Yamaha serial numbers is that they pretty much start over again for each model horn, and also for each finish (lacquer/silver) So, it's possible to have a silver 354 with the same number as a lacquered one, as well as having a Xeno 882OG made 20 years later with the same number. I've seen a YBB 321 and a YEP 321 with the same number.

The numbers are there mostly for Yamaha to keep track of production issues/changes, and honestly, over in the mothership in Japan, they don't really "get" why anyone would want to know how old their horn is. Making the info easily accessible to the public is definitely not high on the list of corporate priorities, IMO.

Walter Barrett
http://www.walterbarrett.com/
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombones
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2012, 09:11PM »

Here it is trombone folks,

I've done the greater outline of the model list, a serial number database and an appropriate submission form.

I now await to be educated as to which models I've missed or included which don't exist.

Complete YAMAHA Trombone Model Number List

YAMAHA Trombone Serial Number Database

Database Submission Form

Cheers
YamahaCollector

DaveBb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2012, 10:40PM »

A great example of puzzle solving!  Good!
It makes me wonder if there is a deliberate  intent by Yamaha to confuse.
 Don't know

I'm not sure if these are available is available in the USA, but here's two more to add:
YSL-882
YSL-882G

They are conventional-wrap versions of the xeno - as played sometimes lately by Ian Bousfield.

http://usa.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/winds/trombones/tenorbasstrombones/ysl-882/?mode=model

Cheers
Dave
AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2012, 11:21PM »

Here it is trombone folks,

I've done the greater outline of the model list, a serial number database and an appropriate submission form.

I now await to be educated as to which models I've missed or included which don't exist.

Complete YAMAHA Trombone Model Number List

YAMAHA Trombone Serial Number Database

Database Submission Form
Thanks for your input Dave,

I don't know how I missed those, most likely due to fact my data collection starts with what I closest at hand which happens to be Australian Yamaha Catalogues before moving further afield. BTW I'm being assisted by one of you Kiwi tromboning friends here in Sydney.

Keep those missing models coming.

Cheers
YamahaCollector

Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2012, 09:02AM »

Hi Alfafreak,
I am not sure if you would be interested in this but I have a collection of Yamaha UK catalogues for trombone, trumpet, and other brass instruments. I have no way of dating them but there does seem to be a code system W-***-(*=numbers) Some of these are duplicated and I would be happy to send any duplicates but the others I could send you scans of the pages. I would say that these go back to the 1980s, including the Custom trumpet and trombone catalogues.
If you are interested, PM me with your address.

Cheers

Stewbones

PS What I could do is provide you with a "W-***" list of all the catalogues I have.

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2012, 04:49PM »

Hi Stewbones,

Thanks for your fantastic offer.

The list of catalogues I have so far can be seen here on the TrumpetHerald website. Whilst I haven't linked to the listed trombone catalogue I'm sure I have the one listed. I'd love to get scans of any of the material you have that is not included on that list. I'm particularly interested in pre-1985 material as it is very difficult to find.

On the same link, you can see a summary of the abbreviations associated with the catalogues etc...

Whilst I'm not interested in getting copies of woodwind and other non-brass related Yamaha material I do wish to know the W-XXX numbers, mainly so I know what I'm NOT looking for. I at least need to know what exists before trying to track everything down.

My address is yamahacollector@gmail.com size of file shouldn't be a problem but I think the largest I have uploaded is about 20Mb.

If any other readers of this post have material they wish to share please feel free to use the above address.

Cheers
YamahaCollector

AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2012, 08:02PM »

Hi people,

I'm after some help with Yamaha markings. I've noticed that whilst the slides do not appear to have their own unique serial number, as so other makes do, Yamaha slides do have various other markings. So far I've come across "RH", "L" etc. Does anyone know what these markings mean?

I'll try to get some photos up in the next few days.

Thanks in advance.
YamahaCollector

AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2012, 09:01PM »

Ok, whilst not finished, I've filled more of the specifications on the Model List.

Also the serial number database is now active, so submit away!

AlfaFreak

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2012, 09:49PM »

Just added some pics of the rare YSL-851 Custom model Trombone to the Model Number list

Jox

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 07, 2012, 09:51PM »

You listed the prototype bass for Doug Yeo as a G trombone. It was pitched in F I believe

Xavier Gonzalez
BME- Stetson University
Bach 50BG Greenhoe- Doug Elliot MB109 J-8
Selmer Bolero- Conn Goldtone
Follow me on twitter @xblmasterjox
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: