Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088268 Posts in 71901 Topics- by 19302 Members - Latest Member: Westport281
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTown HallComments and Suggestions(Moderators: rlb, blast, BFW) Just what is it the these "MODS" do on this board?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Just what is it the these "MODS" do on this board?  (Read 18263 times)
lowerlip
« on: Aug 09, 2012, 09:10AM »

Most of the so called moderating I've run in to here is largely based on opinions. I've have attempted to leave this board on more than one occasion due to the lack of good judgement ( in my opinion) of two different mods. Bruce and Big Mamma. This board seems to have become a forum for negativity and lack of value of actual professional trombonists.
I'm pretty much done with this. CU on a gig???
boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2012, 09:27AM »

Most of the so called moderating I've run in to here is largely based on opinions. I've have attempted to leave this board on more than one occasion due to the lack of good judgement ( in my opinion) of two different mods. Bruce and Big Mamma. This board seems to have become a forum for negativity and lack of value of actual professional trombonists.

This basic line of thought has been mulled over many times.
I am reluctant to post on yet another of these threads
but some of the new Forum members may not have searched for this kind of thread.

In a nutshell, in addition to their moderator functions, moderators are as entitled as anyone else to post here and have opinions.

The actual job of moderating, and judgement attendant to it, is pretty thankless.  NO judgement is going to please everyone, or even almost everyone.  So the best we can hope for is a good-faith effort to apply the ground rules of the Forum.  Everything I have seen from the mods lines up with that good-faith part. 

Sure, I don't agree with all the judgements. Some things irk me.

But on balance, I believe we get a LOT more by having things the way they are than driving all the MODS away. There are many more reasons besides mods why more professionals do not post here.  Losing BOTH professionals AND mods seems a sure way to lose the whole forum.

Of course, that's just MY judgement, however good or poor it may be.

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2012, 09:53AM »

While I disagree with your assessment, I don't disagree with your right to voice it.  Clever  A problem on this Forum - as I see it - is that it tries to be all things to all people.  What can go wrong there?   Don't know  I sometimes wonder if the principal posters on the Child(ish) Boards even play trombone!   Evil  I ventured into them a little and even was the author of a provocative thread or two.  Then I decided they weren't doing me any good as a trombone player - or as a person for that matter.  So, if you feel there is too much negativity then do something about it.  Ignore it!   Clever  Look at the more positive aspects.  That is my advice and I am trying to follow it myself.  Good luck to us!  Good!  Good! 
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2012, 10:27AM »

Most of the so called moderating I've run in to here is largely based on opinions.

In fairness to Bruce, a moderator is just another TTF member who has special duties. He can still post his opinions. He steps in when asked to do so, or when he sees something going on that shouldn't be.

If moderators were prohibited from voicing any opinions at all, you wouldn't have any moderators.
cozzagiorgi
Schnädäräbänz!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2012, 10:45AM »

I agree with Euphanasia. And: No mods no forum. Or a forum full of sh..

Now: yes Bruce posts often and he is often the first to post an answer. His answers may influence young members or the further development of a thread. But he does so in being a member like everyone else on the forum. Not as a mod.

I'm to bad to be a pro...
trombone addict

"Music, fashion, food, espresso"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2012, 11:48AM »

I've learned to filter out the irrelevant info and learn from those whose ideas are sane. I've never had a problem with any moderators. Their job is hard, they have to know when to put the mod hat on or the advice hat on. Everything will have some opinion, otherwise we'd be machines!  Evil

I am glad for what the mods do for the fourum. I mean we have Mr. Doug Elliot as a moderator. If anything, we should be thankful for those who contribute positively. Time is often valuable.

Shires Rotor .547
Shires Straight .547
Thein Altposaune W3-NY
Elkhart Conn 6H

Spencer Chapman
Boston University
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2012, 12:28PM »

OBTW, have we all missed the point that anyone can start a thread on this forum complaning about how it's managed? On a forum that is managed by harsh dictatorship, it would get promptly deleted.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2012, 12:43PM »

I will defend to the death your right to tell me I'm full of horse poop.  Sometimes you might even be right.

If you want to make a suggestion, suggest.  And explain where you are coming from.

There are some things we can fix and some things we can't.

And if you feel snubbed by a Moderator, please send a complaint to the Staff by reporting the offending post.  I can promise it will be discussed.  And sometimes acted upon (if justified).

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
ottisthetrombonist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2012, 01:50PM »

Exactly.
If there is a thread you don't like, ignore it.
The forum has many great aspects and posts for everyone in any stage of development.
The mods do a lot, without much thanks.
The mods are entitled to their opinion, as is everyone on the forum. I mean, they are all human.

NYC
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2012, 02:00PM »

What the mods have to do here is walk a very fine line between allowing posters with ideas that others may find intolerable/offensive to post in a respectful manner, while preventing such discussions from dissolving in a flurry of name-calling, ad-hominem posts.

That's on top of their easier duties like administering new applicants.  And I don't mean to say that "easier" means "easy" - the torrential flood of spammers would overwhelm the board if the mods were not on duty.

I am not a mod.  And I am very thankful, having been a mod on many other forums, that there are good people willing to man (or woman) that position here.

To the OP: You said you've attempted to leave this board several times because of your discontent with the moderators.  What stopped you from leaving?

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2012, 02:57PM »

I don't know if you will get an answer to your question.  Lowerlip has asked for his account to be deleted.  If I recall correctly, you can't log on while in that limbo.  If he sends me an e-mail I can reject his application to allow him to answer your question after which he is free to reinstate his request.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2012, 03:02PM »

I'm not really sure what "attempted to leave" means... If you don't like something about it, it's pretty simple to just not visit the site anymore.  You don't even have to delete your account.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2012, 03:07PM »

I'm sorry you feel it like this Lowerlip. You must have your reasons for feeling like this. And that's like Bruce told above, its OK. Still we all should go in our self and make this place good. It depends on us all. Isn't it?

I can just tell what I feel. I like this place. Very short, it makes a lot inspiration for me to play trombone. I feel all the moderators is good in this place. They have to balance in their decisions, and I feel they do it very good.

Also remember we are all humans, we are not perfect anyone. Even the pro are not perfect, they are humans like us. Some maybe feel afraid, because everything they say is looked at with "Argus eyes" Hope you understand? Easy to sit behind a computer for anyone of us and "let it go".

Anyway, for me its a very good place, and its a lot to learn, lots of inspiration, from all people. Beginners, amateurs, pro or not so pro. We can learn from all, if we see the possibilities to do so.

Remember its internet, it has its limits. The real place to learn is out there in the real world. So let us make this place good. It depends on all of us. I feel its very good place, with lot of interesting people.

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2012, 05:02PM »

This board seems to have become a forum for negativity and lack of value of actual professional trombonists.

I certainly do not agree with your specific criticism of two moderators. If it was not for their efforts, this board would likely not exist. You simply do not know what goes on behind the scenes. Believe me, I used to moderate on here and it is not an easy job.

On the subject of professional musicians, I have not seen too much negativity or lack of value of professionals in a general sense in the ten years plus that I have been a member. But the mere fact of being a professional does not mean that you know more or are even a better musician than the major part of the membership - those who are amateurs or maybe semi pros.

Music, and opinions about it, does not belong to professionals. Some forms of music would even die out if it were not for the amateur playing non-pros. Of course, if you as a professional are playing the kind of jazz I like, somewhere that I can come and hear you, I probably will fork out the money. But you had better play superbly because, if you do not, professional or not, you will be subject to very disdainful criticism on this board or wherever.Clever If an amateur gets up on stage and puts on a concert, I would expect and give no less.

The great thing about this forum from my perspective has always been the small nucleus of mods (THE STAFF) who have run this forum so successfully for many years. They have steadfastly encouraged a wonderful trombone community who talk to one another about....... well anything. Good!

I am sorry you feel this way. The TTF community will miss you. I loved that picture of you and JJ and I was looking forward to some real musical information from you rather than the one liners about equipment. I was hoping you just had a bad day at the office.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2012, 05:46PM »

Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Don't know Don't know Don't know Don't know
=====
hey  meatball--squeeze a lemon  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
--------
wah   happened   big momma  not put enuf  taters on  yo plate  2day ?????????????
======
 MOD SQUAD ------man  dey ride  roun  in that  hot rod and  step on bugs
  plus  wear WHITE  HATS
  ----------
an  if yo gits outtline   -they gonna  sit on yo  fat face  ---
  whatta  dey do     --oh  my     dirtbag  pie   eat ---stick a rooster  in the sty
-------
  me o  mio ----catfish  pieo
  ---------
iff anybody  know more than  bruce it  gotta be  WINKY PEEDIA
-------
  PLUS  REDHOTT  --------------well so watt if she  dont get it  bout stickups    heisters  bang bangs    golf cart racing 
     yo ever see her pic  -man  she HOT  !!!!!!!!       yeah    and  sam  --whew ---
------------
  mods eat  sleep  take  showers  just  like some STINKOS NEED TO  --
whens the las time yo  cleaned yo catbox ??????????????
=============
GUARDIANS     OF THE    PURE
POTEKKTORS OF  SLIDE
MEDIATORS  OF THE MAJIK
MEDITATORS OF THE MADNESS
CORRECTORD OF THE LOOSE THREAD
------
  WHY   YOU KNOW I RECRUITED  -----JOE JACKSON ---HIS  BRO IN LAW [KINDA]  AND MANY OTHER  SLIDERS
-------
 sometimes  stupidos need to  get their sacbutts cleaned --think aboudit   :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
----------
  WHAT  ARE YO ADDING  MISTER TORPEDO  ??????????????????????????
-------
  theres a  buncha punks asting the same ol dumbss   questions
OVVVVER    AND OVVVVER    AND OVVVER 
============
  some   mods  dont do  nothin  [much ]
================
=================
   so WHATS  YO BEEF  CLYDE  ?????????????????? BRING IT ON  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------
they  got pills  for lotsa   stuff 
 TAKE A CHILL    PILL  BILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it!
=============

Amazed

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 09, 2012, 06:30PM »

OMFG... LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 09, 2012, 06:45PM »

DJ, you gonna run for Pres in 2016?  You have my vote!

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
JP

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 09, 2012, 07:39PM »

I regard myself as a volunteer to help moderate posts on this site. I pay attention to Pedagogy and Misc Music, I also look in on Instruments, Musicians. I do not comment unless it strikes my fancy. In the last few years it has been unnecessary to "police" posters, except those who violate the advertisement policy, and there have only been one or two.

I look in 2-4 times a day, because posters here are intelligent and respectful, little moderating is required.

But I never look at Purely Politics, that might be a challenge for the moderators there. :-0

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
ottisthetrombonist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2012, 07:43PM »

Wow dj you made my day. That was hilarious.
If I was old enough to vote, I'd votE for Dj 2016!

NYC
JP

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2012, 07:45PM »

DJ, DJ, DJ

You need a chill pill!!

You are too good to be true...

"A candle flickers, the light dances, but when blown out only the smoke is remembered."

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: