Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089097 Posts in 72000 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTown HallComments and Suggestions(Moderators: rlb, blast, BFW) Just what is it the these "MODS" do on this board?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Just what is it the these "MODS" do on this board?  (Read 18274 times)
Jox

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2012, 07:51PM »

And if you feel snubbed by a Moderator, please send a complaint to the Staff by reporting the offending post.  I can promise it will be discussed.  And sometimes acted upon (if justified).

Just curious, what happens? There was something I found semi offensive from a moderator. Not you Bruce

Xavier Gonzalez
BME- Stetson University
MM- University of Florida
Bach 50BG Greenhoe- Doug Elliot MB109 J-8
Selmer Bolero- Conn Goldtone
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2012, 08:03PM »

Xavier, you are welcome to be offended by something I said, if it seemed offensive.

When you report a post, all the Moderators get an e-mail stating that you reported the post and what you said was bad about it.

We have a thread in the Moderators' Corner called "Reported Post Debrief".  Every e-mail that comes in gets discussed there.  We look at what was called out and try to adjudicate what to do.  Sometimes it's somebody who felt that some kid got too big for his britches.  Sometimes it's somebody posting an ad in another section (not Classifieds).  Sometimes it's someone complaining that they were being persecuted (happens a lot in Purely Politics).  If there is something that should be done and a quorum of Moderators agree, it gets done.  We've censured moderators (including me and RHM), but we rarely censure members.  Sometimes we will just remove the offending post or thread.

Rest assured that if you complain, regardless of what it's about, we will look into it.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
trombone addict

"Music, fashion, food, espresso"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2012, 08:23PM »

DJ, you just turned this thread's frown upside down!  Good!

Shires Rotor .547
Shires Straight .547
Thein Altposaune W3-NY
Elkhart Conn 6H

Spencer Chapman
Boston University
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2012, 08:27PM »

When I read the title of this topic, it occurred to me that much of the day-to-day work that keeps the Forum going is not very visible to the membership.   Whether the original poster decides to stay or leave is up to him, but maybe others are interested in learning something about what the Mods do on this board.  :)  

So here goes:

For my part, I check in on the Instruments and Healthy Trombonist sections very regularly, help keep the Classifieds Section going by pruning old ads and trying to keep them formatted correctly so they're easy to use.  I also check in on Purely Politics fairly regularly (but seldom comment in there) and some of the other sections in Practice Break, and I read through other sections as time allows.  There are people who enjoy every section on the Forum, and if I can help keep those sections enjoyable for the members and guests who frequent them, then I feel like I'm contributing.  As others have said, most of the Forum members post very responsibly and are helpful and respectful to each other.  I prefer not to step in unless there's a real breach of the Terms of Use, which fortunately doesn't happen that often.  

Of course, the time I have to spend here is limited by my other obligations, as is the case with all the moderators. I play in a band, sing in a choir, participate in a few other organizations, work a full-time job, and am a wife and mother.  Obviously there is no way I or any of the other moderators can read every single post in every single topic on this Forum.  Hopefully the Staff as a group are able to read most of them every day. 

I hope people can take what is here, sift through and find the things that are helpful and interesting to them and realize that they do NOT have to read a topic if they don't like it.  After all, there's no way that every topic on any forum is going to appeal to every member, and if we were all alike and thought the same way there would be no need for discussion.  It would be a pretty boring Forum and a pretty boring world.  If you see something that is offensive on here, let us know. We always look into complaints.

Thanks to the Forum members who help keep make this an informative and lively place.  Keep up the good work!

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Aug 09, 2012, 09:31PM »

When I read the title of this topic, it occurred to me that much of the day-to-day work that keeps the Forum going is not very visible to the membership.   Whether the original poster decides to stay or leave is up to him, but maybe others are interested in learning something about what the Mods do on this board.  :)  

So here goes:

For my part, I check in on the Instruments and Healthy Trombonist sections very regularly, help keep the Classifieds Section going by pruning old ads and trying to keep them formatted correctly so they're easy to use.  I also check in on Purely Politics fairly regularly (but seldom comment in there) and some of the other sections in Practice Break, and I read through other sections as time allows.  There are people who enjoy every section on the Forum, and if I can help keep those sections enjoyable for the members and guests who frequent them, then I feel like I'm contributing.  As others have said, most of the Forum members post very responsibly and are helpful and respectful to each other.  I prefer not to step in unless there's a real breach of the Terms of Use, which fortunately doesn't happen that often.  

Of course, the time I have to spend here is limited by my other obligations, as is the case with all the moderators. I play in a band, sing in a choir, participate in a few other organizations, work a full-time job, and am a wife and mother.  Obviously there is no way I or any of the other moderators can read every single post in every single topic on this Forum.  Hopefully the Staff as a group are able to read most of them every day. 

I hope people can take what is here, sift through and find the things that are helpful and interesting to them and realize that they do NOT have to read a topic if they don't like it.  After all, there's no way that every topic on any forum is going to appeal to every member, and if we were all alike and thought the same way there would be no need for discussion.  It would be a pretty boring Forum and a pretty boring world.  If you see something that is offensive on here, let us know. We always look into complaints.

Thanks to the Forum members who help keep make this an informative and lively place.  Keep up the good work!

I just quote hole your post, because it explain so much and need to be read more than twice  Good!

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2012, 09:49PM »

Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Don't know Don't know Don't know Don't know
=====
hey  meatball--squeeze a lemon  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
--------
wah   happened   big momma  not put enuf  taters on  yo plate  2day ?????????????
======
 MOD SQUAD ------man  dey ride  roun  in that  hot rod and  step on bugs
  plus  wear WHITE  HATS
  ----------
an  if yo gits outtline   -they gonna  sit on yo  fat face  ---
  whatta  dey do     --oh  my     dirtbag  pie   eat ---stick a rooster  in the sty
-------
  me o  mio ----catfish  pieo
  ---------
iff anybody  know more than  bruce it  gotta be  WINKY PEEDIA
-------
  PLUS  REDHOTT  --------------well so watt if she  dont get it  bout stickups    heisters  bang bangs    golf cart racing 
     yo ever see her pic  -man  she HOT  !!!!!!!!       yeah    and  sam  --whew ---
------------
  mods eat  sleep  take  showers  just  like some STINKOS NEED TO  --
whens the las time yo  cleaned yo catbox ??????????????
=============
GUARDIANS     OF THE    PURE
POTEKKTORS OF  SLIDE
MEDIATORS  OF THE MAJIK
MEDITATORS OF THE MADNESS
CORRECTORD OF THE LOOSE THREAD
------
  WHY   YOU KNOW I RECRUITED  -----JOE JACKSON ---HIS  BRO IN LAW [KINDA]  AND MANY OTHER  SLIDERS
-------
 sometimes  stupidos need to  get their sacbutts cleaned --think aboudit   :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
----------
  WHAT  ARE YO ADDING  MISTER TORPEDO  ??????????????????????????
-------
  theres a  buncha punks asting the same ol dumbss   questions
OVVVVER    AND OVVVVER    AND OVVVER 
============
  some   mods  dont do  nothin  [much ]
================
=================
   so WHATS  YO BEEF  CLYDE  ?????????????????? BRING IT ON  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------
they  got pills  for lotsa   stuff 
 TAKE A CHILL    PILL  BILL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it!
=============

Amazed

Dj kennedy, can you "translate"  to simple english so even I as a norwegian can understand?  I always wondered about what you really say? I really want to know, and Im little sorry I dont understand. Hope you understand me?

Leif

Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2012, 10:06PM »

DJ's poetry is legendary!!

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.tommattabigband.com
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2012, 03:52AM »

Leif, I don't know if you have something like this in Norwegian, but I consider DJ's posts to be similar to Cockney English but in American.

They are loaded with opaque references, word substitutions, deliberate misspellings, partial thoughts, and other things that probably drive somebody who only speaks "School English" absolutely berserk.

I would love to try to translate one of DJ's posts for you, but I think each one will take pages and pages.

Bruce Guttman
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2012, 04:19AM »

Bruce, I got a translate from Benn  Good! Thanks a lot.  Hi

Yes we have a lot that can be in the same direction with language. Every fjord and valley have different dialects. And some of them even we norvegian cant understand our self. I remember I was young and was with my father in his truck. We come to a little place and we asked an old man where to drive. My father just say yes, yes here and there. When we drive he asked me what the man told,  :D none of us understand a word... :)

Well, OK, I should not say much about language..

Wonderful post DJ Kennedy \\\\\\\\\\ Hi

Leif

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2012, 04:42AM »

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't dig DJ's dingo lingo.  I think it's a clever way to take shots at people and get away with it.  If he would take those same shots in standard American business English, he might get called out for it - that is, if I have a basic understanding of what he is actually saying.  I could also easily think that he is mocking minorities with his dingo lingo.  I know; I know.  He's just having fun and I should be the last one on the planet to say something about it.  I just wanted to present "the other side of the coin", for what - if anything - it's worth.  The preceding was written in jest as wry humor.  There is more than one way to attempt humor.   Evil  Thanks.
tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Aug 10, 2012, 06:42AM »

iff anybody  know more than  bruce it  gotta be  WINKY PEEDIA
-------
  PLUS  REDHOTT  --------------well so watt if she  dont get it  bout stickups    heisters  bang bangs    golf cart racing 
     yo ever see her pic  -man  she HOT  !!!!!!!! 

When I read those two, I laughed so hard I almost messed my britches.
 :D

T.

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 10, 2012, 07:50AM »

mister geezer -YOUR  POST IS A  FEEBLE [at   wry  humor] ATTEMPT  AT A  CHEEP SHOT [  blatant   racial profiling language  socioeconomic academic snob] AT ME
    and an attempt  by one who would force conformity  upon others  and discriminate against any  who are not clones  of  artificial  ideal humans
    set up in strictly stratified  status levels  subservient  to  a heirarchy [sp] of a patriarchal exclusionary cadre
MISTER GEEZER --I DONT LIKE YOUR TONE -- plus  you  need to  let the condensate  out of your slide

maybe  you  would understand my lingo if you actually mixed  with some of the multicultural p[opulace on   buses  jails huts   hootches homes  mobile homes
      ''districts''  different age  groups  [HANG  OUT]
----------
as i see it  you would have all posts translated  into STANDARD AMERIKKKAN BIZZNESS  ANGLISH [WORD]
--------
meanwhile  their are folks  playing  WHITE MUSIC /BROWN MUSIC/YELLOW   MUSIC/PURPLE MUSIC/BLUE  MUSIC /TAN MUSIC //OLIVE MUSIC /RED MUSIC //BLACK MUSIC //ETC MUSIC
   IN MIXED GROUPS  -OH MY  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------

your missguided twisted logic   misstatement[rivaling  baron von boone]   is  most likely predicated  upon a jingoistic  misanthropic and  myopic prejudical[sp] upbringing   from a precipice in a  gated  community  [ indeed --standard AMERICAN business ENGLISH]----as far as i know  business  is being conducted  in native tongues especially  in ethnic  food  service  endeavor -perhaps you have  even partaken of  such ethnic  delights as EGG DROP DING DONGS ////PARTICULATE PROTOZOAN PIZZA ///SPAGHETTI  AND MATZOBALLS//
  CABBAGE AND  KUBRIC CUBES//// SCRAPPLE  PIE  ////TIC  TOC  TACOS ///SMURF  AND  TURF  SALAD////   GLOCOSE DRIP // PHILLY  CHEESE CHIPS///
GUNG  HO SOUP///COUS COO GLUTEN FREE ///BEN  AND GERANIMO'S BUFFALO BURGER/// KALE  AND KEILBASSA //  
----------
maybe  you  have even eaten at  a SMORGASBORD  ?????!!!    one  could  hazzard  a guess that your favorite foods
 are the commercially prepared  frozen  BANQUET DINNERS  --and you would like then even more if  the  packaging was less rectangular
============
IN FACT  THE PHRASE --STANDARD  AMERICAN BUSINESS  ENGLISH   is  as offensive [to some minorities]  as STANDARD AMERICAN BUSINESS ETHICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
================
my  post  was meant to be  a provacative  [excuse  spellings ]  attempt to  goad  mister  lowerlip   into  a  more detailed explanation
  your objection to  language  and accusatory  tone   is far behind the times  as  some segments  youth of this country  have given  up  speaking business english
among their peer   groups  for  a hip hop rap eubonic  tinted sub dialect    and not to be discriminatory  a bit of mediterranish was  tossed  in the syllabic  salad
------
my  post  was meant to support  lowerlips  participation  and give him a chance to get  whats bothering him  off his chest
 as in COME ON WHATS THE  PROBLEM ????????????

------------
  oi  vey  what a mensch !!!!
-------------
mister gezzer  --man   U  R  SQUARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
===============================
for those with round  minds  and  a sense  of humor

thanks for  your support  in 2016  !!!!!!!!!!!!
  in norwegian
OH  THIS  FISH  -----------IT STINKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
   EAT  THIS FISH  ??????????????????
YOU  ARE   CRAZY  !!!!!!!!!!!
=================================
and thank you  mister  lowerlip  for  the song  !!!!!!!!!TRADING  4s //////////
--------
one   of the moderators  makes  mouthpieces
------
one [or  more]  works  in  a research lab
----------
one plays   in an opera company
------
one [or more]  actually  plays trombone{s}
---------
=========================

AS THEY  SAY  IN OZ  ---KICK MY  DINGO -KICK ME
--------

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't dig DJ's dingo lingo.  I think it's a clever way to take shots at people and get away with it.  If he would take those same shots in standard American business English, he might get called out for it - that is, if I have a basic understanding of what he is actually saying.  I could also easily think that he is mocking minorities with his dingo lingo.  I know; I know.  He's just having fun and I should be the last one on the planet to say something about it.  I just wanted to present "the other side of the coin", for what - if anything - it's worth.  The preceding was written in jest as wry humor.  There is more than one way to attempt humor.   Evil  Thanks.

<Edit:  Fixed square bracket s - don't do that unless you want a strikethrough!>
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2012, 08:07AM by BGuttman » Logged

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 10, 2012, 07:53AM »

looks like   lip  has  left the   building   :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 10, 2012, 07:57AM »

Favorite DJ quotes...

Some where... Oberloh the Rainbow...

The fellowship of the slide...

WINKY PEEDIA

Rollin in da floor!  :D

T.

Μολὼν λάβε
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:03AM »

looks like   lip  has  left the   building   :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Not yet, DJ! However, as Bruce said, because Mr Lippy has put his account up for deletion, it has gone into some sort of limbo where he can't be PM-ed and he can't post. If he wants to reply, we can easily take him off the deletion list and his account will then be back to normal.... or what passes for normal....

I'm very sorry if my shortcomings as a mod have caused offence. :(

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:10AM »

looks like   lip  has  left the   building   :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

When Lippy applied to have his account deleted, the system no longer allows him to log on.  If he were to send me an e-mail I can reject his application leaving him eligible to log on and defend himself.

I bear him no malice; I wish he'd treat me the same.

Bruce Guttman
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:22AM »

lip  musta been having a  bad day[week][year][decade]
 we all have  missgivings
-------
 last concert ///PAINT YOUR  WAGON
=======
SCHROEDER SAYS  --we gotta come in  somewhere  ?????????
   where  ????????
   i dunno
========
 song  goes along ----i see a  big  X ---must  mean something ////i sure wish we woulda rehearsed this  !!!!!!!!!!!
whole section  goes tacet
--------
 i am completely lost '
------------

we  couldnt  find the paint  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:32AM »

=======
SCHROEDER SAYS  --we gotta come in  somewhere  ?????????
   where  ????????
   i dunno
========
 song  goes along ----i see a  big  X ---must  mean something ////i sure wish we woulda rehearsed this  !!!!!!!!!!!
whole section  goes tacet
--------
 i am completely lost '
------------

Ya got's to count the rest, then ya know when to come in.  :D

------
Last gig we had (2 weeks ago)...
4 Bones
New pc on the stand...
4 parts.. 1,2,3,bass
2 had tacet written in, 2 did not..
No one lettuce know...
CORN-FUSING.
Gotta love it.
---------

Μολὼν λάβε
Evil Ronnie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:39AM »

I wish I had some of whatever DJ's been smoking!

Ron Rosenbaum CEC
Chef Tournant, Everglades Club, Palm Beach, FL
Shires independent (BI2RGLW)
Holton  TR-180

"Use plenty of onions...they're very cheap!"  Otto Svenson
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:46AM »

mister geezer -YOUR  POST IS A  FEEBLE [at   wry  humor] ATTEMPT  AT A  CHEEP SHOT [  blatant   racial profiling language  socioeconomic academic snob] AT ME
    and an attempt  by one who would force conformity  upon others  and discriminate against any  who are not clones  of  artificial  ideal humans
    set up in strictly stratified  status levels  subservient  to  a heirarchy [sp] of a patriarchal exclusionary cadre
MISTER GEEZER --I DONT LIKE YOUR TONE -- plus  you  need to  let the condensate  out of your slide

maybe  you  would understand my lingo if you actually mixed  with some of the multicultural p[opulace on   buses  jails huts   hootches homes  mobile homes
      ''districts''  different age  groups  [HANG  OUT]
----------
as i see it  you would have all posts translated  into STANDARD AMERIKKKAN BIZZNESS  ANGLISH [WORD]
--------
meanwhile  their are folks  playing  WHITE MUSIC /BROWN MUSIC/YELLOW   MUSIC/PURPLE MUSIC/BLUE  MUSIC /TAN MUSIC //OLIVE MUSIC /RED MUSIC //BLACK MUSIC //ETC MUSIC
   IN MIXED GROUPS  -OH MY  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------

your missguided twisted logic   misstatement[rivaling  baron von boone]   is  most likely predicated  upon a jingoistic  misanthropic and  myopic prejudical[sp] upbringing   from a precipice in a  gated  community  [ indeed --standard AMERICAN business ENGLISH]----as far as i know  business  is being conducted  in native tongues especially  in ethnic  food  service  endeavor -perhaps you have  even partaken of  such ethnic  delights as EGG DROP DING DONGS ////PARTICULATE PROTOZOAN PIZZA ///SPAGHETTI  AND MATZOBALLS//
  CABBAGE AND  KUBRIC CUBES//// SCRAPPLE  PIE  ////TIC  TOC  TACOS ///SMURF  AND  TURF  SALAD////   GLOCOSE DRIP // PHILLY  CHEESE CHIPS///
GUNG  HO SOUP///COUS COO GLUTEN FREE ///BEN  AND GERANIMO'S BUFFALO BURGER/// KALE  AND KEILBASSA //  
----------
maybe  you  have even eaten at  a SMORGASBORD  ?????!!!    one  could  hazzard  a guess that your favorite foods
 are the commercially prepared  frozen  BANQUET DINNERS  --and you would like then even more if  the  packaging was less rectangular
============
IN FACT  THE PHRASE --STANDARD  AMERICAN BUSINESS  ENGLISH   is  as offensive [to some minorities]  as STANDARD AMERICAN BUSINESS ETHICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
================
my  post  was meant to be  a provacative  [excuse  spellings ]  attempt to  goad  mister  lowerlip   into  a  more detailed explanation
  your objection to  language  and accusatory  tone   is far behind the times  as  some segments  youth of this country  have given  up  speaking business english
among their peer   groups  for  a hip hop rap eubonic  tinted sub dialect    and not to be discriminatory  a bit of mediterranish was  tossed  in the syllabic  salad
------
my  post  was meant to support  lowerlips  participation  and give him a chance to get  whats bothering him  off his chest
 as in COME ON WHATS THE  PROBLEM ????????????

------------
  oi  vey  what a mensch !!!!
-------------
mister gezzer  --man   U  R  SQUARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
for those with round  minds  and  a sense  of humor

thanks for  your support  in 2016  !!!!!!!!!!!!
  in norwegian
OH  THIS  FISH  -----------IT STINKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
   EAT  THIS FISH  ??????????????????
YOU  ARE   CRAZY  !!!!!!!!!!!
=================================
and thank you  mister  lowerlip  for  the song  !!!!!!!!!TRADING  4s //////////
--------
one   of the moderators  makes  mouthpieces
------
one [or  more]  works  in  a research lab
----------
one plays   in an opera company
------
one [or more]  actually  plays trombone{s}
---------
=========================

AS THEY  SAY  IN OZ  ---KICK MY  DINGO -KICK ME
--------

Mister DJ; You called me "SQUARE".  A few weeks ago, when I referred to someone as "pathetic", I was called out by a Mod as acting "trollish".  Don't know  Very well. I take full responsibility for my thoughts, words and deeds.  Clever  Since you have not been called out by a Mod for calling me "SQUARE", I will conclude that your use of "SQUARE" is a sincere compliment.  Thank you.  It's hip to be SQUARE.   Good!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: