Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088747 Posts in 71958 Topics- by 19317 Members - Latest Member: Whitewolf07
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTown HallComments and Suggestions(Moderators: rlb, blast, BFW) Just what is it the these "MODS" do on this board?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Just what is it the these "MODS" do on this board?  (Read 18267 times)
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:54AM »

Since you have not been called out by a Mod for calling me "SQUARE", I will conclude that your use of "SQUARE" is a sincere compliment.  Thank you.  It's hip to be SQUARE.

Godammit, he only called you square an hour ago! What the heck do you expect from us????

IMO, "square" and "pathetic" are very small words and nothing to get excited about.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 10, 2012, 09:03AM »

I wish I had some of whatever DJ's been smoking!
Smoked Venison !
--------------
Road Kill!
-----------
Diet Deer!
------------
Calories squished out of it!
-------------------
Smoked with apple wood.
MMMmmMMMMmm
----------- 

:D

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Aug 10, 2012, 09:06AM »

IMO, "square" and "pathetic" are very small words and nothing to get excited about.

Me too!  Tell Bruce that. I kid Bruce.  :D
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 10, 2012, 09:11AM »

... I kid Bruce.  :D

That's just because we are about the same age. :-P

And my father came from Pittsburgh (actually McKeesport) :)

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 10, 2012, 09:15AM »

And my father came from Pittsburgh (actually McKeesport) :)

I knew there was some good seed in you!  Way cool
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Aug 10, 2012, 09:34AM »

I'm very sorry if my shortcomings as a mod have caused offence. :(

I trust this line is being delivered with a proper sneer.

Something like this (Mr. G at 1:06 specifically): 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1TmeBd9338
lowcatjb

"Dr. James Borowski"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: Aug 10, 2012, 09:34AM »

I see a lot of references to "negativity."  Now, I've seen a little outright negativity here and there, but sometimes we mistake strong opinions that conflict with our own to be negativity when they are merely just strong opinions.  I've caught myself making that mistake, too.

For most of us, this trombone playing, this music thing isn't just a job, and it isn't just a career.  It is who and what we are.  Regardless of age, job title or genre we've practiced, we've learned and we've studied for most of our lives.  We've picked up ideas from our favorite performers.  We've gleaned knowledge from some of the greatest teachers in the game.  We've spent years developing our own ideas, techniques and beliefs.  

Is it really so surprising that a lot of us get positively dogmatic when we defend or promulgate these beliefs?

People are opinionated here, myself included.  They feel that their opinions are not only correct but informed, due to their position in an orchestra, their years spent freelancing, their long-standing association with a famous artist or act, their many album projects, their university teaching position, their having studied with so-and-so, their Master's degree, their DMA, their PhD., etc.

Many of them get on TTF at the end of a long, frustrating day of being a professional trombonist and are ready to pull no punches.  Some people have a real problem with the fact that ANYBODY can post an opinion on TTF, not just pros.  I have the sneaking suspicion that some of the posters might even be not entirely sober when they post (just a hunch based on 98% of the trombone players I have ever known.)  

They post their opinions and not tactfully, either.  I've had it happen to me, and I just smile ruefully and shake my head.  I'm sure that the people who've done it think that I'm totally wrong, they're totally right and neither one of us is going to change the other's mind.  But if I reported everybody who responded negatively to me, I'd make a real nuisance of myself.

Now, about the moderators... Evil

I don't know exactly how one gets to be a moderator, but I'll bet it has something to do with experience in the field and a history of intelligent, insightful posts.  Should we punish all the other TTF members (especially the younger ones) by disallowing their feedback in the name of impartiality?  

I think not.

When should the moderators step in?  I've seen some instances where a MOD posted asking the rest of the thread's posters to get back on track, and I've seen instances where the MOD tried to steer the discourse into a more intelligent vein rather than an antagonistic one.

Conversely, I came across a thread recently where there was a long argument consisting of mostly personal attacks between a moderator (not that MOD's own board) and a trombonist who is known for having maybe the strongest opinions on the whole Forum.  The moderators of the board didn't seem to step in and break it up.  

Perhaps they wait for one party to complain, and much like the police (in the US, anyway) they generally will side with the original complainant.  Maybe they let us try to defend ourselves first and provide help when one asks for it.

Or...

They may choose to handle things behind the scenes in personal messages that are not visible to the rest of us.  You know, in a classy and professional manner, so as not to cause embarrassment.

Anyway, these are my thoughts, and I'm realistic enough that I don't expect everybody to agree, and I've not been on TTF very long but I've been here long enough to half expect to get raked over the coals for it, and that's fine.  I don't expect the moderators to step in on my behalf...

...although they may yell at me for leaving such a thyroidally long post.

Temet Nosce
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Aug 10, 2012, 10:17AM »

THYROID  !!!!!!!! :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0
==========
HOW  MANY  SHY   TROMBONISTS  DO  YOU KNOW ????????????????????????????

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Aug 10, 2012, 10:21AM »

Smoked Venison !
--------------
Road Kill!
-----------
Diet Deer!
------------
Calories squished out of it!
-------------------
Smoked with apple wood.
MMMmmMMMMmm
----------- 

:D

Μολὼν λάβε
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Aug 10, 2012, 02:22PM »

For anyone who doesn't know him, that's DJ.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: Aug 10, 2012, 07:07PM »

Well, lowerlip, this place is not exactly boring.....?   ;-)

I thought of leaving sometimes because my language, or when I do posts I regret. It happens sometimes to all of us I believe? But its better to do what Doug tell, just take a break sometimes. You never know when....you need some help.

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Aug 11, 2012, 06:56AM »

For anyone who doesn't know him, that's DJ"The Man".
Fixed it for ya Doug.  Good!

T.

Μολὼν λάβε
ottisthetrombonist

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Aug 11, 2012, 10:52AM »

Wow lol

NYC
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Aug 14, 2012, 03:39PM »

I'm a bit late to the party here as I have been earning a crust and out of internet access.
First off I would like to thank all those supporting the moderators. They are a great team, full of wisdom in so many things.
Without the day to day efforts of Bruce and RHM in particular, this place would not function... that simple.
As far as moderating issues are concerned, I am called the chief moderator, so you might expect me to have to have final say when we have problems on the forum... well, in a sense I do, but so far I have always been able to 'rubber stamp' the collective wishes of the team, as they have always arrived at a way forward after collective discussion. I try to look at all the boards every day.... I look a lot but have to intervene rarely, which is great.I rely on other mods to check and flag up problems in the non-trombone/music areas, as that is simply impossible in my schedule.
Be assured that all complaints are discussed on our board and nothing happens without consultation... unless it is the removal of an offensive or improper post.
We don't always get it right, but we always try to get it right.
Your feedback, good and bad is important.... it helps us run the forum you want, as opposed to the forum we think you want.
Keep it coming.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: