Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087170 Posts in 71996 Topics- by 19241 Members - Latest Member: alberto
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help with rattle on f attachment  (Read 2964 times)
kevinR

View Profile
« on: Sep 27, 2012, 04:56PM »

Got my new used Bach Strad. 42 with f attachment trombone today from ebay.  Slide is perfect and has only a few more dings than described.  The f attachment rattles!!!  When I play, I am getting a vibration sound coming which I can stop by holding the linkage on the trigger.  I have never had an f attachment trombone and so do not know what needs to be done. Any suggestions? Also any help on care and feeding of the f attachment would be helpful.  This is the standard wrap/standard setup valve.  I can return if needed, but also think that the owner would reimburse if repairs are needed.

Kevin
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2012, 05:46PM »

There are a few threads on care of a rotary valve.  In fact, there is a post from Benn Hanson (octavposaune) with pictures of valves identifying all the parts.

The most common reason for a rattle on a Bach 42 (or 36) is that odd joint with the big ball under a cap.  Sometimes the cap is a little loose and just needs to be tightened.  The ball joint also needs to be packed with a grease.  Sometimes you can do it with some Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, but a tech will have the right grease to pack it.

You might also check to see if any of the screws are loose.

If it's rattling because the valve is worn, there are repairs that can be done, but you'll need a Tech for them.

Good luck and congrats on the new horn.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
artyart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2012, 05:25AM »

Congrats on your new to you horn, Bruce's suggestions are good, common with older Bach's,if the linkages are loose or dry, try a drop of  any house hold oil (3 in one)first - just a drop, then tighten the linkages a little, if the buzz or rattle is coming from the valve and NOT the linkage, first oil the valve, a couple drops of valve oil will do and it will help show you where the noise is. Refer to Benn's excellent post on rotary valves, so you understand what is there. Then, other spots that may be making noise, are loose bearings, or a loose rotor stop arm, you will need the help of a tech with them, especially if the the stop arm screw is missing (VERY common) or broken - also very common.
Another loose part can be the hinge in the trigger, they loosen up over time,and can make a little noise, but can be remedied very quickly by a decent tech.

kevinR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2012, 02:38PM »

:)

Took rotor apart.  Everything looked beautiful but bone dry.  Oiled everything.  Put back together.  No pieces left over.

No rattle and no  buzz.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2012, 04:00PM »

When I had a rattle in my 42T, the guys at Dillon music (this was like over 10 years ago) said "make sure you oil every moving joint".

and, rattle gone.  It really amazes and also saddens me how many times I go to pick up a used horn at Dillon Music, and the valve action is clunky and loud on a horn that isn't even that old, all because they couldn't be bothered to oil it regularly. take care of your horn, and it'll take care of you.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: