Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092621 Posts in 72303 Topics- by 19426 Members - Latest Member: BassBoneGatz
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Predictions for the 3rd Presidential Debate
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Predictions for the 3rd Presidential Debate  (Read 15895 times)
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:15AM »

Oh. Ok. Let's pick at the scab again see if we can make it bleed. If it bleeds, we can kill it. I thought we already did.

If you really want to stop talking about this, how about we start with you since you're the one going on about it the most ... eh?

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:23AM »

If you really want to stop talking about this, how about we start with you since you're the one going on about it the most ... eh?

That's fine. I'll take fall if it gets us ALL off this.

Why is Rmoney still tight with the woman's vote?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:29AM »

Why is Rmoney still tight with the woman's vote?

He must have 'em in binders Evil

Seriously, I'm beginning to see Romney as the Great White Hope and Obama as Jack Johnson.  The parallels to the play are striking.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:32AM »

Bazingah!
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:35AM »

The thought that liberals don't know what binders are used for is kinda frightening!  Evil

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:39AM »

The thought that liberals don't know what binders are used for is kinda frightening!  Evil

Isn't what they find when they raid a perv's house?
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:41AM »

Isn't what they find when they raid a perv's house?

Binders? LOL!

Energy City Big Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:48AM »

The problem is that liberals and moderates recognize binders aren't where women are kept, and far right Republicans can't seem to figure out what's actually going on at all (communication and understanding English and all that kinda thing).

I guess we need to have a little banter and goofy insult exchanges (rather than more serious ones) to make the transition from inanity to substance (hopefully) less abrupt.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:52AM »

The problem is that liberals and moderates recognize binders aren't where women are kept,

Oh yeah? You need to go tell it on the mountain where your friends can hear. They seem to think otherwise. Normal people didn't even think anything about it when it was said. They knew what it meant.

Energy City Big Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:54AM »

Oh yeah? You need to go tell it on the mountain where your friends can hear. They seem to think otherwise. Normal people didn't even think anything about it when it was said. They knew what it meant.

I was just running with the theme of the banter, but I agree. It was an awkward way to put it at worst, but everyone understood exactly what he meant. A lot of people read into it, some can even make a fair argument for doing so to a limited extent, but for the most part it's just ammo for mockery very loosely connected to anything of substance, at best, a lot like McCain's "That one!" comment last time around.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Oct 20, 2012, 09:59AM »

I was just running with the theme of the banter, but I agree. It was an awkward way to put it at worst, but everyone understood exactly what he meant. A lot of people read into it, some can even make a fair argument for doing so to a limited extent, but for the most part it's just ammo for mockery very loosely connected to anything of substance, at best, a lot like McCain's "That one!" comment last time around.

I didn't think anything about it at the time either.  It was the late-night clowns who made a funny of it. By "late-night clowns", I mean the TV commedians, not anyone here. :)
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Oct 20, 2012, 10:05AM »

I've got a crystal ball that I'm using to predict the outcome of Monday's night debate, but, sorry to say, I dropped it this morning, and it busted into a million pieces.

The tiny crystal pieces are hard to differntiate, so it is taking my a lot of time in putting it back together again, but don't fear. I should have the predictons ready to go by at least Tuesday or Wednesday.

That's the good news!

Energy City Big Band
Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: Oct 20, 2012, 11:08AM »

From "The Gaurdian":

The delicious irony is that the phrase was supposed to show us Romney the feminist. As governor of Massachusetts, he explained: "We took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet. I went to a number of women's groups and said: 'Can you help us find folks?' and they brought us whole binders full of women."

Instead, he managed to conjure an image confirming every feminist's worst fears about a Romney presidency; that he views women's rights in the workplace as so much business admin, to be punched and filed and popped on a shelf. Worse still, it was irrelevant to the question he'd actually been asked, about pay inequality. And, according to several fact-checkers, untrue. He didn't ask for the binders full of women. The list was compiled before he even took office. It wasn't just a gaffe: it was a Freudian slip, a filibuster and a falsehood.

It also wasn't even the daftest part of his answer. That would have to be this bizarre promise: "We're going to have to have employers in the new economy, in the economy I'm going to bring to play, that are going to be so anxious to get good workers they're going to be anxious to hire women."

So anxious, they'll hire women. Subtext: so desperate, they'll hire anyone. Even you, ladies. The implication being that in Romney's dream economy employers will grind their teeth and chew their nails until, in a lengthy silence at the tenth tense board meeting, one brave executive tentatively suggests "Guys, I hate to say it, but I think we need to hire people without penises."

Again, not only is it stupid, but it's addressing a question no one has asked. The problem is that women are paid less for the same jobs, not that the labour market isn't flooded enough for employers to take a charitable gamble on them.

Romney's attempt to paint himself as a feminist only proved he doesn't know what the word means. That's why whole binders full of women won't be voting for him.

Maybe this will give you all SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT other than SLAMMING ONE ANOTHER.

One can only hope.

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.tommattabigband.com
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Oct 20, 2012, 12:58PM »

From "The Gaurdian":

Maybe this will give you all SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT other than SLAMMING ONE ANOTHER.

One can only hope.

The only "slamming one another" that's been going on for a while now is people who seem unable to stop talking about it. It slowed to a more jocular kind of transition and stopped. Now if people will talk about the issue at hand rather than how we should stop slamming each other, we can really move on ... eh?

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Oct 20, 2012, 01:44PM »

What can we expect from Bob Schieffer? This will be his third job as moderator of the third debate.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:02PM »

Schieffer's job is going to be keeping Romney in line.  I expect he will try his thus-far successful strategy of trying to get in the first, last, and middle words on everything.  Even when a clear set of statistics showed that Obama actually got a couple of more minutes in the last debate, the overall impression was that Romney wouldn't shut up and listen; he'd propound his ideas instead.

I also hope that Schieffer can keep both of them on the question.  Politicians in general like to answer a different question if the one asked is either embarrassing or something they don't know.  I've seen both Obama and Romney do this.

Tuesday will be the proof.  I'm going to be playing a rehearsal and may have to listen second hand to at least some of the debate.

Bruce Guttman
Titus62

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:05PM »

Now if people will talk about the issue at hand rather than how we should stop slamming each other, we can really move on ... eh?

OK, it's real simple... even you foggy-brained libs can understand if you pay really close attention.   Idea!

The "issue at hand" is Romney vs. Obama.  First of all, Obama's record is not good: He had no previous experience in any part of governance that matters, and his tenure in the White Office has been marked by broken promises, profligate spending, increasing debt, and dilettante foreign policy dithering. By any measure his administration has been a painful failure, a jumble of irrational spending and misguided thinking.

Romney, OTOH, has a history of experience and success in both governance and business. It's Romney's time!  We need to fire Barry and hire Mitt...this country can't afford or tolerate four more years of Barry's spending and amateurish bungling.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:17PM »

Can I take issue with your bone-headed Conservative picture?

1.  The economy has hit something we haven't seen since the 1930s.  And this one is different enough that what worked back then doesn't work now.  Obama has not succeeded because (1) the Republicans have been refusing to work with him and have instead adopted a "make him a one term President by preventing him from doing anything" and (2) NOBODY knows what will work, including your "savior" Romney.

2.  Romney has never had to deal with a lackluster economy like this either.  In his Bain Capital days if a concern wasn't making money he sold it off and put people out of work.  It's brutal, and is exactly what you don't  want to do in a time when we have stubbornly high unemployment.  Romney's tenure in Massachusetts was unremarkable.  And he's even running away from the signal achievement of his administration: Romneycare.

3.  Obama's "lack of experience" isn't very different from some other Presidents we have admired: JFK, Taft, Wilson, Teddy Roosevelt.  For that matter, how different is it from Sarah Palin?

Romney has demonstrated that he can espouse any of a dozen different approaches depending on whom he's talking to.  You folks derided John Kerry for that in 2004; now it's good? Evil

Bruce Guttman
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:41PM »

Can I take issue with your bone-headed Conservative picture?

1.  The economy has hit something we haven't seen since the 1930s.  And this one is different enough that what worked back then doesn't work now.  Obama has not succeeded because (1) the Republicans have been refusing to work with him and have instead adopted a "make him a one term President by preventing him from doing anything" and (2) NOBODY knows what will work, including your "savior" Romney.

2.  Romney has never had to deal with a lackluster economy like this either.  In his Bain Capital days if a concern wasn't making money he sold it off and put people out of work.  It's brutal, and is exactly what you don't  want to do in a time when we have stubbornly high unemployment.  Romney's tenure in Massachusetts was unremarkable.  And he's even running away from the signal achievement of his administration: Romneycare.

3.  Obama's "lack of experience" isn't very different from some other Presidents we have admired: JFK, Taft, Wilson, Teddy Roosevelt.  For that matter, how different is it from Sarah Palin?

Romney has demonstrated that he can espouse any of a dozen different approaches depending on whom he's talking to.  You folks derided John Kerry for that in 2004; now it's good? Evil

You can't use facts in your discussions with right-wing people. It's like those dumb video games we used to play. You have to jump up & down on one leg while twirling your sword overhead. Unfortunately, that approach makes no sense, but it opens the secret door.  Remember when Picard had to learn how to spreak in metaphor to communicate with a bizare race? Right-wing people live in a fantasy world and don't understand logic.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:52PM »

I must confess, Geezer, I'm not a Star Trek fan so I don't know the episode you refer to.

But I understand your point.  We have some Right Wing folks who will continue to spout the same platitudes forever regardless of whether they make sense or not.  Then again we have some Left Wing folks with a similar attitude.

I just wish they'd stop being so binary:  I may not like Romney and I may prefer Obama, but not because I espouse everything he is (or isn't) doing.  Enumerating Obama's failures won't convince me to change my mind, either.  I have too much experience with Romney.

Bruce Guttman
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: