Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092622 Posts in 72303 Topics- by 19426 Members - Latest Member: BassBoneGatz
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Predictions for the 3rd Presidential Debate
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Predictions for the 3rd Presidential Debate  (Read 15907 times)
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:02PM »

Be careful that your political correctness obsession doesn't stifle all open discussion in this particular forum.

Yeah, the death knell of any discussion is when you drive out the bigots.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:05PM »

Be careful that your political correctness obsession doesn't stifle all open discussion in this particular forum.

Of course you need to presume a PC obsession on my part, which is pretty amusing.

It's just more cowardice, this time of the intellectual variety (can't imagine anyone having a valid objection to an idea you like--rather can't handle the notion). It's a definitive pattern in wingnut types.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:07PM »

Yeah, the death knell of any discussion is when you drive out the bigots.

It's not fair to use sarcasm on these guys, man. It just confuses them and they get scared, and that just makes them angry and aggressive.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:12PM »

It's not fair to use sarcasm on these guys, man. It just confuses them and they get scared, and that just makes them angry and aggressive.

I'm not using sarcasm on 'these guys', because 'these guys' comprise a hypothetical construct of yours. I'm responding to the person who posted.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:18PM »

I'm not using sarcasm on 'these guys', because 'these guys' comprise a hypothetical construct of yours. I'm responding to the person who posted.

Calm yourself, I'm using "those guys" as in Titus and those who think like him (who may or may not be "these guys" here on the forum, but I suspect only a few of "them" are).

You can get hypersensitive about Us vs. Them thinking (and I can understand that) to where you don't recognize categorical terminology, man.

Relax. Now you've just confused him further by saying you're not using sarcasm--the following conditional won't typically register.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:24PM »

OBTW; PC has nothing to do with this Forum's rules of conduct.  Ethnic or racial slurring is against the rules, which apply to all. A grey area is - what is a slur vs. what is a shot. Some of us will take a shot. When it becomes a slur, it crosses the line.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:25PM »

Calm yourself, I'm using "those guys" as in Titus and those who think like him (who may or may not be "these guys" here on the forum, but I suspect only a few of "them" are).

You can get hypersensitive about Us vs. Them thinking (and I can understand that) to where you don't recognize categorical terminology, man.

Relax. Now you've just confused him further by saying you're not using sarcasm--the following conditional won't typically register.

For the record, I was being sarcastic.

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:28PM »

OBTW; PC has nothing to do with this Forum's rules of conduct.  Ethnic or racial slurring is against the rules, which apply to all. A grey area is - what is a slur vs. what is a shot. Some of us will take a shot. When it becomes a slur, it crosses the line.

I was a little disappointed that Bruce quoted the ethnic slur without commenting on it.

Yes, it's a slur. If one of my employees used the same slur in front of a customer (regardless of race, ethnicity or creed), he would remain in my employ for the amount of time that it took me to open the door with his head.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:33PM »

I was a little disappointed that Bruce quoted the ethnic slur, and that it wasn't commented upon.

Yes, it's a slur. If one of my employees used the same slur in front of a customer (regardless of race, ethnicity or creed) he would remain in my employ for the amount of time that it took me to open the door with his head.

I understand. However, there are times - such as testifying in court - where it is appropriate to make the point in such a way that there can be no misinterpretation.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:38PM »

For the record, I was being sarcastic.

Also for the record, I understand your anti-Us vs. Them thing. The problem child's "you guys" as imposed in spite of contrary evidence, and it was specifically a dismissal of those he was arguing against--intellectual laziness combined with intellectual cowardice (ignore any actual contrary points and dismiss them en-masse from all detractors--presume they're all the same). What I was saying is there are a number of people like Titus, wherever they may be, and they aren't typically very good at dealing with sarcasm, etc. It's just experience with people, man. You don't just pretend none of your experience with people counts because you're dealing with a different individual right now, do you? You allow room for individual variation of course, but that's a different matter.

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from, but you're a bit gunshy about it I think. And I understand that as well.

Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:40PM »

Be careful not to cross the line into presuming to make calls for the moderators, man. The rules are relaxed in here, and you need to accept that if you want to participate in here. Let them make those calls. They do just fine. If you disagree then PM or email them, but presuming to make calls you think they should make is out of line.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:44PM »

Be careful not to cross the line into presuming to make calls for the moderators, man. The rules are relaxed in here, and you need to accept that if you want to participate in here. Let them make those calls. They do just fine. If you disagree then PM or email them, but presuming to make calls you think they should make is out of line.

No such intention on my part at all. Sorry if my post came across that way. I was speaking hypothetically.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:48PM »

I understand. However, there are times - such as testifying in court - where it is appropriate to make the point in such a way that there can be no misinterpretation.

That would be a good point if naming the person who was bowed to were an inferior option to calling him a *** ****.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:53PM »

OTOH, apparently it is acceptable to make a public call for a Mod to intercede - as in Stretch vs. Ronk.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:56PM »

I really hope you guys will consider one important thing:  if someone doesn't do the job, they need to be replaced.  Would you keep someone in your section who played out of tune or  sloppy because they might have inherited a bone that wasnt a good horn?  You might cut them some slack, but how long do you let that go on before you just have to realize some one isn't up to the gig.  You cant continue to excuse issues because somebody else started it.

The analogy doesn't fit very well though. What we have is someone who seems to be a very good player, but who is being thwarted by the others in the section, screwing with his horn and his music and his chair, and anything and everything they can to make him play poorly and screw up. In that case you want to replace the jerks who can't play well with other children, not the one who seems to be a good player if every effort he made to do so weren't hampered by the problem children.

It's frankly rather disconcerting that many fellow adults can't recognize the problem childrens' behavior, and blame the results on their target. I thought most of us figured that one out in junior high, or at worst in high school. It's really Sandbox101 stuff though.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:57PM »

That would be a good point if naming the person who was bowed to were an inferior option to calling him a *** ****.

I am not presuming to speak for another, be it Mod or otherwise. But it is my understanding that rational and above-board talk is never unacceptable. After all, this is a chat forum, no?
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Oct 21, 2012, 04:59PM »

OTOH, apparently it is acceptable to make a public call for a Mod to intercede - as in Stretch vs. Ronk.

Nope. I'd take the same view of that, personally, if it were repeated. I also take a dim view of people who feel the need to "tell on" other posters for being big meanies and such (though that's more of a personal character weakness thing than a presumptuousness/out of line kinda thing).

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Oct 21, 2012, 05:10PM »

Nope. I'd take the same view of that, personally, if it were repeated. I also take a dim view of people who feel the need to "tell on" other posters for being big meanies and such (though that's more of a personal character weakness thing than a presumptuousness/out of line kinda thing).

I understand your idealism (not meant as a shot).  But what I was referring to is what the term "precedent" means.  Stretch set it, if he wasn't corrected for doing it.  That said, I don't want to sound like a Philadelphia Lawyer - if you know what I mean.  So, to put you on the spot, you are saying that it was wrong of Stretch to publicly call on a Mod?  I also understand the tattle-tale point of yours.  No one likes a snitch.  Is it being a snitch for doing a Stretch? :)  I'm confoozled. :)

Edit  OBTW, I just love the user name "Stretch Longarm".  So cool. /Edit
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Oct 21, 2012, 05:23PM »

I understand your idealism (not meant as a shot).
Mentality, perhaps?

But what I was referring to is what the term "precedent" means.  Stretch set it, if he wasn't corrected for doing it.  That said, I don't want to sound like a Philadelphia Lawyer - if you know what I mean.  So, to put you on the spot, you are saying that it was wrong of Stretch to publicly call on a Mod?
I wouldn't use that term. It's not really the right category. I'd say it was bad form, but repetitive bad form can cross the line and continue into "wrong" territory. None of this is to be construed as what I think the Mods should do or think, by the way. These are questions about my personal positions.

I also understand the tattle-tale point of yours.  No one likes a snitch.  Is it being a snitch for doing a Stretch? :)  I'm confoozled. :)
Well, I don't equate "snitch" with "tattle-tale", but yeah, I think you're reading my point right.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Oct 21, 2012, 05:48PM »

This IS a shot. Did it ever occur to you that what you consider as mental tectonic plates come across as extreme hair-splitting? :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: