Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1063672 Posts in 70740 Topics- by 18561 Members - Latest Member: ConfusedConfucius
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The most recommended trombone techs  (Read 41209 times)
phonyreal98

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:26AM »

Suggestions for Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa?
Paul Martin

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:13AM »

Suggestions for Eastern Nebraska/Western Iowa?

Yes: Send it to one of the many highly recommended brass techs who live somewhere else!

Sending an instrument via USPS or UPS is easy to do, I've never had any issues with doing so over roughly 20 years, and I'm not sure that an "in person" meeting with the brass tech improves the quality of the result, unless he's doing a modification for you that requires the two of you to go back and forth on things.
John the Theologian

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Oct 24, 2014, 11:11PM »

Waterloo is in North Central Iowa, but Merlin Grady's shop is right off US 20 and only 266 miles east of Sioux City according to the official Iowa map.  Not a long trip from most places in eastern Nebraska-western Iowa.  He's a master tech-- see the endorsements--http://merlingrady.com/testimonials.html.
fantrombone

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:49PM »

Nope Dick is retired.  Its ok for dent banging and spit valve repair but not slide repair.

In private practice the Extreme to make the difficult in public seem easy.
tmmytm1

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Dec 18, 2014, 01:01PM »

Dana Hofer in Chicagoland

danahoferbrassrepair.com
chris612

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Dec 18, 2014, 01:12PM »

Chuck McAlexander is a favorite for a lot of players in the NYC area,I've used him a few times and he does very nice work. If anyone comes through Long Island, Gil Brynes in Deer Park is great and does work fast.

1991 Conn 88HLT- Greg Black 4.5G-5GM
1989 Bach 50BG3-Greg Black 1 1/2G
kingtbone

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Mar 29, 2015, 02:07PM »

Houston area recommendations  for slide work ?
ssking2b

"Trombone - the final frontier..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: Apr 22, 2015, 06:51AM »

The Slide Doctor from anywhere in the US.  I send him a slide via UPS and he does magic, and I get it back about a week later!

Visit my web site at http://www.pjonestrombone.com 

XO Brass Artist Philip Jones
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Apr 22, 2015, 09:05AM »

In Houston: Lauren Davies at H&H on 1960. Best in town and only guy I let work on my horns!

Why am I not practicing?????
SilverSonic

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Apr 22, 2015, 09:12AM »

More good words for John Sandhagen- he took my Delta-battered 3B Silversonic, fixed the bell damage and converted it to a screw bell. Excellent work.
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: Apr 23, 2015, 01:44PM »

In Houston: Lauren Davies at H&H on 1960. Best in town and only guy I let work on my horns!

Dude!!?!  You said you'd love me forever!

That's what I get for trusting a bass trombonist I guess....

8)

Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Apr 23, 2015, 03:59PM »

Ok only guy in Houston I let touch my horns!! Eric Edwards is the man and it is worth driving to see him!

Why am I not practicing?????
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Apr 24, 2015, 03:09AM »

And the best from around the world?.......
Paul Martin

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Apr 24, 2015, 06:48AM »

Mick Rath in the UK is pretty highly regarded.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Apr 24, 2015, 07:43AM »

And the best from around the world?.......

This become like a "who's the best trombone player in the world" kind of question.

There is no one trombone player who is better than everybody else in all aspects.

We have a number of folks here who are extremely talented craftsmen and there are others around the world.  I've heard good things about Renee Hagmann in Switzerland.  I'm sure there are others out there I don't know.

From a practical standpoint, I'd recommend finding a good guy nearby and giving him most of your work.  Folks who are far away and are good with custom stuff can be called upon when needed.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Apr 26, 2015, 04:57AM »

This become like a "who's the best trombone player in the world" kind of question.

There is no one trombone player who is better than everybody else in all aspects.

We have a number of folks here who are extremely talented craftsmen and there are others around the world.  I've heard good things about Renee Hagmann in Switzerland.  I'm sure there are others out there I don't know.

From a practical standpoint, I'd recommend finding a good guy nearby and giving him most of your work.  Folks who are far away and are good with custom stuff can be called upon when needed.

Maybe not 'best' meaning 'the best' but the better ones or the ones most highly regarded by members from around the world.......
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Oct 15, 2015, 07:57AM »

Another  Good! for Ron Parch in Toronto.

He's the only tech I have used since high school, and have never had a reason to go elsewhere.  His slide work really is magic.  His cost is always lower than I expect too.  Either he is very fair or a genius at setting expectations.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Johnston93

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: Oct 15, 2015, 08:58AM »

For those in and around Connecticut, David Zoni does a great job of repairing brass instruments especially trombones. He's fixed problems with my 42 a number of different times for a few years now, and never lets me go without fixing something else for free as well.
BiggieSmalls

"Visit my studio in Santa Fe, NM!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: Oct 15, 2015, 10:25AM »

For anyone near Montgomery, Alabama:

Adam Jones
adamjones615@gmail.com

Adam overhauled half a dozen horns for me during the couple of years he lived here in Santa Fe, and his work is top notch. Adam did a beautiful job rolling out a crinkled bell that I thought was beyond hope, and he rebuilt several sketchy slides that turned out better than I could have ever hoped for. His rates are VERY reasonable. Great sax work as well; he does sax work for some of the top players in Nashville. Highly recommended!

He's also a pretty darn good trombonist...

"If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise."- William Blake

"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up for work."- Chuck Close
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:29AM »

Just thought I'd put another plug in here for the guys at Dillon Music, Fred, Josh, and Matt.  They do great work, and do it fast.  I broke the linkage on my Kanstul 1570 by being an idiot, and pressed on the lever too hard when trying to get the witness marks to line up after re-seating a bumper. I figured I could press it in that way. WRONG.

The silver-soldered joint between the steel bar and brass spring fitting let go.

I brought it in last Thursday, it was Done on Monday, and I picked it up Yesterday. It looks like it was never even broken. Heck it's probably better assembled now than it was at the factory.

And for slides, Fred has "the touch". All of my slides are awesome, and he's the reason.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: