Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080017 Posts in 71455 Topics- by 19045 Members - Latest Member: Old2TheBone
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mute stand recommendation?  (Read 8610 times)
Hicks

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 24, 2017, 08:01AM »

Yes, I use this literally at every rehearsal and performance.  The longer holder with the smaller hole is good for a plunger, the other 2 hold my Wick Straight and Cup mute with no problem.  You can pop out the little plastic tray and that can hold a mute, too.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.
Driswood

"It's better to be smart than intelligent""

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2017, 07:11AM »

I recently got a Mute Mate. Rubber coated heavy wire, three loops to hold my cup, straight, and Harmon (or Solotone). Also has a bent rod to hang my plunger on. It clips with a clamp with a HEAVY spring. It pivots, so you can clamp it to a chair leg, music stand, etc. In a pit, I use the bottom half a Hamilton stand to clamp it to. Keeps mutes close, and at the right height for grabbing. It also folds up and stores in a drawstring bag.

For fast mute changes, I still use the "bend of the back of my knee" method mentioned earlier.

Jerry Walker

"Give a beggar a horse & he'll run over you"

"Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine you're a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" Mark Twain

'65 Bach 34B
ssking2b

"Trombone - the final frontier..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2017, 11:52AM »

I am using a MUTE MATE for trombone.  It folds up and goes in a bag in my mute bag.  Available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mute-Mate-Tenor-Trombone-Mute-Holder-/351444275950?hash=item51d3b612ee

Works great for the tenor and bass mutes.  I use it all the time for both!  Here is a link to the inventor's site:

http://www.trumpetbook.com/mute-mate-mute-holders.html

Works very well for me and clip on my music stand.  If I am in a situation that has a big band front, or some type of stand that it wont clip to, I bring an extra bone stand  and clip it on that. 

Visit my web site at http://www.pjonestrombone.com 

XO Brass Artist Philip Jones
EdGrissom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 24, 2017, 05:03AM »

I've had the Jo Ral mute holder (lightweight plastic) for a few years.  It's got 3 rings - 2 x 3", 1 x 2.5".  It's OK with multiple tenor mutes but is little too wobbly with some bass trombone mutes.  (Jo Ral bass trombone straight is ok, the cup mute is too big & heavy for it).

I just picked up a Hercules HA100 (foam-covered metal); haven't used it for real yet.  It's much more robust but it's really sized for trumpet mutes.  The rings are a bit on the small side - 1 x 3", 2 x 2.5", 1 x ~2"; it holds bass trombone mutes fine in the larger rings but getting them in & out may be too slow, and it doesn't really have the "wingspan" to hold more than two mutes if one of them is a cup mute.  A variant HA100 with bigger rings on longer arms is closer to what I'm looking for....

I use the Hercules model also.  I stretched the loops open a little bit more and it holds bass mutes a little better.  I also like the clamp on types because sometimes a heavy big band book will cause the music stand to slide down.  The mute holder can clamp on the inner pole and hold it up. 

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? If a man makes a statement and no woman is there to hear it, is he still wrong?"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: