Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

953006 Posts in 62852 Topics- by 15308 Members - Latest Member: TolgaAkman
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformancePerformance(Moderator: WaltTrombone) Les Miserables Trombone/Tuba book
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Les Miserables Trombone/Tuba book  (Read 8076 times)
ahconway
I mean to begin with a guinea pig, and work my way through the animal kingdom till I come to a second trombone.

View Profile
« on: Jun 23, 2013, 02:33PM »

I'm going to be subbing on a good local production of Les Mis this fall.

Anyone have experience with the Trombone/Tuba book? Just curious about what to expect...

President, Chelmsford Community Band
Founder & Director, Bell Bottom Bones
Trustee, The Sudbury Savoyards
Yamaha YSL-651
Yamaha Xeno YSL-882GO
MikeBMiller

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2013, 06:19PM »

Everyone dies :cry:

I have never played it but have seen the show 3 times. Sounds like a really fun book. Good luck!
Max Croot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2013, 06:49PM »

Hi I did the show some years ago. Only one trombone part. Bass Trombone. No Tuba. Orchestra pit too small for tuba anyway. Max

Bass Clef
GetzenBassPlayer

"Practice makes the horn sound good."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2013, 09:51PM »

Hi I did the show some years ago. Only one trombone part. Bass Trombone. No Tuba. Orchestra pit too small for tuba anyway. Max

The version I played didn't have a tuba either.

Pro level? Pro level!  You make it pro, you make it good You make it loved and play nice Then its a pro level horn
Leif

I can justify my position with a trombone in my hands and that's good enough for me
Beware wise men bearing equations  C. Stearn
schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2013, 01:49AM »

If you're playing trombone and bass trombone, instead of tuba, play the straight, cup, and harmone muted passages on your Xeno (OP). I believe you might be doing the edition from MTI (see attachments).  There are two clef changes and some high range and low range passages. I'm currently doing this with a semi pro group in Washington state. It is a trombone / tuba book, with marked places where to switch. I'm playing the Xeno for the upper parts, and for the openers for both Acts, I'm playing a bass trombone. I suspect that the book is the one used for the 2009 UK Les Mis Tour and cast album. It lines up pretty well.

US 101 to Sequim, Port Angeles, and beyond......
Muffinman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2013, 05:06AM »

Very strange to see this front page.

I played this show professionally hundreds of times in the 90's and like your previous poster says, it was originally for bass trombone. The opening phrase for example was down the octave without all the eighth notes.

A very odd orchestration you have there.

Best of luck with it :)
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2013, 06:07AM »

There are at least 2 different versions of this show available here in the UK. There is a "schools version" only available for Youth Theatre Groups. I think it is a slightly reduced version of the West End/Broadway version with some of the numbers transposed down a little for the younger voices.
I have just played for the "schools version" of Miss Saigon which was released earlier this year and they have done the same thing here. The part says for Tenor and Bass Trombone but the tenor has to be a Bb/F and because of the transpositions, it goes down to bottom B natural! with the bass trombone going down to pedal Gb and an upper limit of high Gb-(3 octave range) The whole transposition thing has been done without thinking about the instruments, just the voices Bad dog.  No Biscuits.

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
Schultz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2013, 03:09AM »

Les Mis was originally a bass bone only book.
On Broadway in 2006 , they experimented with an official new orchestration by Stephen Metcalf and Christopher Jahnke, in place John Cameron's original orchestration. After a short run there, in 2008, they brought this production to the Netherlands, where I was the bass trombone/ tuba player. Over the course of our rehearsal period we worked extensively with Cameron Mackintosh, Claude Michel Schoenberg and Stephan Metcalf. Here we improved in certain spots what had been originally done, and i remember converting some of the tuba stuff back to bass trombone. The page which was posted by Max Croot is identical to the first page of my part.
If you were accustomed to the original orchestration as many fans are they were very shocked by the complete change in sound. There was no drum kit or electric bass any more, no more sax solo in Master of the House, and there were quite a few cuts in the show as well, so it was a good deal shorter.
The brass in our show was trumpet, bass trombone/tuba and 2 horns. I played the whole thing on bass trombone and an Eb tuba. If memory serves there was that quite high opening, and one or two high Bb's. While it spent a lot of time down in the valve register i don't remember it being pedal heavy. I'll dig out the part if i still have it and have a look.
Cheers

We came for the music, we stayed for the bears
Muffinman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2013, 03:30AM »

On Broadway in 2006 , they experimented with an official new orchestration by Stephen Metcalf and Christopher Jahnke, in place John Cameron's original orchestration. After a short run there, in 2008, they brought this production to the Netherlands, where I was the bass trombone/ tuba player. Over the course of our rehearsal period we worked extensively with Cameron Mackintosh, Claude Michel Schoenberg and Stephan Metcalf. Here we improved in certain spots what had been originally done, and i remember converting some of the tuba stuff back to bass trombone. The page which was posted by Max Croot is identical to the first page of my part.
If you were accustomed to the original orchestration as many fans are they were very shocked by the complete change in sound. There was no drum kit or electric bass any more, no more sax solo in Master of the House, and there were quite a few cuts in the show as well, so it was a good deal shorter.
The brass in our show was trumpet, bass trombone/tuba and 2 horns. I played the whole thing on bass trombone and an Eb tuba. If memory serves there was that quite high opening, and one or two high Bb's. While it spent a lot of time down in the valve register i don't remember it being pedal heavy. I'll dig out the part if i still have it and have a look.
Cheers

Interesting.

Thanks for the insight :)
ahconway
I mean to begin with a guinea pig, and work my way through the animal kingdom till I come to a second trombone.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2013, 08:52AM »

Thanks everyone!

I do think it's the MTI version. I believe it's just becoming available to community theaters now - productions are popping up all over Massachusetts!

Yamaha YSL-651
Yamaha Xeno YSL-882GO
paulvgarza

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2013, 06:09PM »

Im playing this right now, I'm normally a tenor play and I don't play tuba at all so its definitely a stretch for me. I'm playing it all on bass, and so far its all pretty manageable. There are very sections of the book that actually call for Tuba, that I can see at least. It seems like there are only two parts that call for tuba, unless I'm reading something wrong. Though there was one section, on "One Day More" I believe, that says trombone with no previous notion to go to tuba, which confuses me...Any insight those who have played it before? Not that it will change anything since I don't have a tuba at my disposal but I'd still like to know.
BigRedTruck

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2013, 04:51AM »

I played the school version a couple of years ago.  I played in on a bass trombone.   I switch to a tenor to the fanfares near the battle scene.  They need a brighter more forceful sound.

Other then the length of the show, it is a great on to play.

MikeBMiller

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2013, 07:24AM »

Other then the length of the show, it is a great on to play.

Yeah - that first half is so long that you better remember to make that last trip to the men's (or ladies) room before it starts.

fluor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2013, 02:27PM »

I know there exists a version for 1 trp, 1 horn and 1 bass trombone (no tuba), WITH drum set too, I have seen (but not played) it in proffessional theatres in Norway. Made before 2006.

This is the whole orchestra (11 persons):
Soprano sax / alto sax / flute / guitars
Obo / english horn
Horn
Trompet / flugel
Bass Trombone
Keyboard
Keyboard
Drum set / percussion
Bass
Violin / Viola
Cello

I do suspect a little that this is an "illegal", or at least not official arrangement.
ahconway

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2013, 10:02AM »

If you're playing trombone and bass trombone, instead of tuba, play the straight, cup, and harmone muted passages on your Xeno (OP). I believe you might be doing the edition from MTI (see attachments).  There are two clef changes and some high range and low range passages. I'm currently doing this with a semi pro group in Washington state. It is a trombone / tuba book, with marked places where to switch. I'm playing the Xeno for the upper parts, and for the openers for both Acts, I'm playing a bass trombone. I suspect that the book is the one used for the 2009 UK Les Mis Tour and cast album. It lines up pretty well.

Indeed, this is the version I've been playing. There are very few bits that actually require playing below pedal B-flat, so my horn as been fine. Technically, it isn't tremendously challenging but it is lots of fun, and many spots to play out. The trickiest part is following when I'm NOT playing because the time changes very frequently and entrances aren't always obvious.

The unfortunate thing about this production, though, is that the orch is crammed into a space backstage and the sound is piped out on a mediocre PA, which takes all the subtlety and drama away IMO.

I'd play this show again in a minute - preferably from a real pit next time.

Yamaha YSL-651
Yamaha Xeno YSL-882GO
jscalf81

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:00PM »

Yep.... Trying to nail that entrance in the "Attack On Rue Plummet" can be hairy without a really solid drummer and trumpeters, much less solid actors.  Fun show though, despite all th darkness within it. I played predominantly tuba for the production, as the put was actually quite roomy, and the music director decided he wanted a lot more low end and breadth. Made for some entertaining switches, but hey, whatever for a paycheck!

"Life is tough... Life is tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne
WaltTrombone
Former Titler of Teh Bick!

"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:05AM »

I just got booked to play this in June at a summer stock theater. Looking forward to it.

Walter Barrett
http://www.walterbarrett.com/
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombones
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2014, 05:01PM »

I just got booked to play this in June at a summer stock theater. Looking forward to it.

Whose production?

Steven Cangemi
WaltTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:15AM »

TriArts, in Sharon, CT.

Walter Barrett
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
WaltTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:42PM »

Cheers

Schulz, do you remember how low the tuba part goes? I only have a 3 valve Bb, so I'm hoping it's not going to be a part like Lion King...

Walter Barrett
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: