Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088565 Posts in 71936 Topics- by 19309 Members - Latest Member: subs4ks
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakFood and Drink(Moderators: RedHotMama, BFW) Third wave coffee... syphon, aeropress, cold drip, chemex, v60.......
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Third wave coffee... syphon, aeropress, cold drip, chemex, v60.......  (Read 22718 times)
Dombat

View Profile
« on: Sep 29, 2013, 03:17AM »

I'm just sitting here drinking a single origin Brazilian roast run through my syphon. Not a bad roast, fruity, a little blueberry with a strong finish.
Any other coffee nuts out there?
What are you drinking?
What is/are your set-up(s)?
Methods?
What are your dream set ups?

I guess I'll start off.

Yama TCA-2D Syphon. (with Hario paper filters)
Aeropress (original paper filters)
Bodum 5 cup french press
cheap pour over with cheap filters (never used)

Hario sketern grinder
Hario mini mill grinder

Coffees:
Coffee Culture Bowral, Australia Single Origin: Ethiopia and Brazil
Single Origin Roasters Sydney: Carmen Estate Panama

Next on the cards are some roasts from The Barn, Berlin and JK coffee Munich.
The Bone Ranger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2013, 04:21AM »

I'm keen to purchase an Aeropress soon, largely for the speed at which it produces a brew, and the easy clean up. Very useful for work.

Since I've recently purchased an espresso machine (2nd hand Gaggia classic for a steal!) and a grinder, I'm not in a hurry to explore other options, though I had been using a french press at home and at work with good results.

My local coffee roaster is producing a single origin Costa Rica which is outstanding, in both the french press and espresso machine.

I'm reasonably new to the coffee scene, but can see myself adding some of these brewing methods to my collection.

Andrew.
JESimmons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2013, 04:38AM »

Having had two jobs eliminated in the past 5 years and with income only from whatever freelance projects I can stir up, I'm drinking Luzianne microwaved in a French press coffee maker.  After experimenting with the amount of coffee and the time in the microwave, it actually comes out rather good.

Olds O-21
1955 Conn 6h
1967 Conn 88h
1974 Holton TR-180
Edwards B454
Dan Satterwhite

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2013, 05:29AM »

If you're on a budget, Bustelo in the French press works  well.  Find it at Publix on sale, and its probably cheaper than Luzianne.  Just make sure to press slowly, as an espresso grind is too fine for a French press.

Dan Satterwhite
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
BiggieSmalls

"Visit my studio in Santa Fe, NM!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2013, 08:49AM »

The Sheriff (forum member) roasts his own beans. I got to sample some Ethiopian beans he had roasted, and the resulting brew was just off the charts! Delicious!

If you're on a budget (as most of us are these days), Big Lots sometimes has Melitta's for $3.50 for a 12 oz can, and some 100% Arabica Mexican-grown generics that are even cheaper and still quite decent. Many years ago, i bought a Gaggia pump-driven espresso machine new at Big Lots for $60- overstock from Saks Fifth Avenue!

"If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise."- William Blake

"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up for work."- Chuck Close
Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2013, 10:53AM »

The Sheriff (forum member) roasts his own beans. I got to sample some Ethiopian beans he had roasted, and the resulting brew was just off the charts! Delicious!

If you're on a budget (as most of us are these days), Big Lots sometimes has Melitta's for $3.50 for a 12 oz can, and some 100% Arabica Mexican-grown generics that are even cheaper and still quite decent. Many years ago, i bought a Gaggia pump-driven espresso machine new at Big Lots for $60- overstock from Saks Fifth Avenue!

Scott roasted me a special TMat Roast. Incredible. God bless The Sheriff!

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.tommattabigband.com
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2015, 12:42PM »

This is actually along the topic of "Anything good for Christmas?" but I thought it belongs here.

I've only been drinking coffee for a few years, but I'm getting picky about it and always experimenting, with a hand grinder because I really don't drink very much coffee, usually one cup a day and sometimes none.  Just found that Ethiopian markets around here have green coffee beans, so I've now roasted my third batch, in a pan on the stove shaking it often for about 20 minutes, trying different heat and times, learning to listen and smell.  Excellent results so far.   One cup of green beans becomes almost two cups roasted.

Now for the Christmas part... a present to myself.

Got an Aeropress and the stainless steel screen in a package deal on Amazon.  It's so easy and perfect every time.  I highly recommend it.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:08PM »

I like many methods, my siphon/vacuum, simple pour over, the stove-top Bialetti are all fun...  but I want one of these with a passion:

http://sprudge.com/enter-the-dragon-todd-carmichaels-new-coffee-brewer-is-outrageous-and-just-might-work.html

Gives process control geeks way too much to work with.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
Hooterguy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:35PM »

I've gone a bit crazy with a serious Quick Mill heat exchanger machine and a terrific burr grinder, and along with a French press it's the best coffee I've had. A year's worth of Starbucks is into the machine, but well worth it.
 I'm also doing my own roasting, and the Ethiopians are my current bean of choice, specially the Yirgacheffe and a hearty Harrar.
Just my two cents worth.

"Never let what you are holding in your hands come between you and the music."
           Frank Crisafulli
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:24PM »

My son Joe is master roaster for Barrington Coffee in MA. I have been to the plant and seen the skill involved in roasting fine coffee... please check them out... and buy and enjoy some of the finest coffee on the planet.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
NJSouth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2015, 05:05AM »

How could no one have posted in here for 120 days!!?? Have you people no care for coffee!!?? HA! I'm partial to Ethiopian coffees myself. I hate that a Keruig is so convenient but when I have time I do French Press. Mostly on weekends. My sister is going to the Outer Banks NC this weekend and bringing me back lbs of "Priates Blend"!!! While I'm not normally a flavored coffee drinker this stuff is OFF the charts. It puts me in my happy place.

Well off to get another cup. Enjoy your day and post something here would you? This is important stuff!!! lol
BiggieSmalls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2015, 07:35AM »

I've tried quite a few beans and roasts from both of these companies; some are good, some are not so good, but these two really do it for me:

https://solarroast.com/node/119

http://www.puroast.com/shop/medium-roasts-blends/low-acid-house-blend.html

The Solar Roast Peruvian is a light roast, packed with flavor and HIGH in caffeine; one cup is enough!

For those days when I feel like having two cups, the Puroast House Blend is a really nice medium roast, with 70% less acid due to their slow-roasting process. It even comes in those little Keurig thingies...

I used to be a big fan of cream and sugar, but the Paleo diet has helped me discover the joys and nuances of "black" coffee, so my opinions are based on drinking these "black".

I'm using a French press these days, with whole beans ground just before brewing. Too many machines on the countertop already.

"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up for work."- Chuck Close
BiggieSmalls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2015, 07:43AM »

Any other coffee drinkers out there who drink their coffee "black" and would like to share their favorites?

keybone

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2015, 08:26AM »

Just found this post.  Out here on the left coast, we have Peet's Coffee (www.peets.com).  There are many convenient outlets, at least in the Bay Area/ Central Valley area.  My favorites are the French Roast and the Sulawesi Kalosi (hope I spelled that correctly!).  I must admit that they also make the K Cups for the Keurig maker, which while not authentic, is a terrific cup of coffee.  I believe Peets is only in California, so we send it to relatives in Texas, Florida, N. Carolina, Missouri, etc.(!) for special holidays/birthdays!

We spent a couple weeks in Hawaii last month.  While everybody talks about the Kona coffee, I found the coffee from the Kauai Coffee company (kauaicoffee.com) to be excellent.  We will be enjoying that for the next few months!  I am working on a mug of their Peaberry as I type!  A little different from Peets, but excellent just the same.

Just slidin' down the razor blade of life...
BiggieSmalls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2015, 09:53AM »

Out here on the left coast, we have Peet's Coffee (www.peets.com).

We have Peet's Coffee at the Sprouts grocery chain here in New Mexico, although it's a limited selection. Of the few varieties Sprouts carries, Café Domingo is one of my favorites.

I will have to order and try the Peet's Sulawesi. The coffee I had in Sulawesi (Torajaland) when I was there in the '90's was among the best I have ever had.

Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2015, 10:28AM »

Just found that Ethiopian markets around here have green coffee beans, so I've now roasted my third batch, in a pan on the stove shaking it often for about 20 minutes, trying different heat and times, learning to listen and smell. 
I like this, the newest coffee culture is going back to learn from the oldest.
I'm off coffee these days but I just got done eating peanuts roasted from raw in a Poppery popcorn popper. I picked this up from an aspiring coffee roaster who uses this method for roasting test batches of beans. My neighbor has refunded this with a foil cone lid to hold in the heat and a remote sensor digital thermometer. The science being that the oils in raw beens are stabile but once roasted start to go rancid immediately.
DRB
Seola Creek
NJSouth

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2015, 01:54PM »

Any other coffee drinkers out there who drink their coffee "black" and would like to share their favorites?

I enjoy the Ethiopian Sidamo as a black coffee freshly ground. I loved the Ethiopian Harrar but the place I get my beans from stopped importing it. Never found out why. Actually I prefer to drink a fresh ground bean black. How about yourself?
BiggieSmalls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2015, 03:30PM »

The science being that the oils in raw beens are stabile but once roasted start to go rancid immediately.

Great point, and a good reason to at least buy whole roasted beans and grind them just before brewing, instead of buying pre-ground or using the in-store grinder. Grinding exposes the ground bean to oxidation at a greatly accelerated rate compared to keeping the roasted bean intact until just before brewing.

I enjoy the Ethiopian Sidamo as a black coffee freshly ground. Actually I prefer to drink a fresh ground bean black. How about yourself?

I began drinking freshly ground bean black only because a dietary change pushed me in that direction. Now that I've adjusted, I can't imagine going back to the cream and sugar, which just obscure all the nuances and subtleties that only black coffee offers.

The only thing I miss about my pump-driven Gaggia machine is the wonderful crema floating on top of the brew, which always added a unique element to the first sip of every cup. But the French press is what fits my lifestyle these days, and it has it's own charms: controlled brewing time, ability to experiment with different grinds for each roast, etc.

Thanks for the recommendations, keep 'em coming!

Dombat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2015, 03:21AM »

Just finished a decent columbian from JB Kaffee in Munich.
If you are into filter coffees I would highly reccomend v60, clever or chemex. A french press is good as an immersion brew however can lead to a slightly 'dirty' cup and uneven brew due to the coarse grind needed. The german brewers cup winner from 2014 corrected this by cleaning the coffee through a hario v60 brewer after a standard frech press brew. It is time consuming however I have had success with this method.
The clever dripper gives a similar result to this, using an immersion style brew for the first part of the extraction and a drip style to clean the cup.
All in all, I still generally go to a v60, especially with the more expensive beans I get it. The technique of the pour and temperature control plays a big part here however it is a lot softer on the beans and can get the best flavour out.
Experimentation is the key.
JaneOlds

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2015, 04:31AM »

I use the "walk to the cafe in the next street" method of brewing. If I had decent coffee in the house I would never sleep   :D
Dombat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:21AM »

I use the "walk to the cafe in the next street" method of brewing. If I had decent coffee in the house I would never sleep   :D
Unfortunately, this method doesn't exist for me. Top quality coffee is hard to come across in Germany.
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2015, 10:45AM »

Oh, I was wondering if there was a Wurzburg in Delaware... (abbreviated DE here)

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Dombat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2015, 11:07AM »

Oh, I was wondering if there was a Wurzburg in Delaware... (abbreviated DE here)

Actually Ulm now. I should change that.
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2015, 12:04PM »

Since no one has mentioned it yet I have to put in a plug for our favorite brewer, the Clever Coffee Dripper, a cross between a Melitta drip system and a French press -- full immersion brewing without the mess of a French press.

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2015, 01:11PM »

Since no one has mentioned it yet I have to put in a plug for our favorite brewer, the Clever Coffee Dripper, a cross between a Melitta drip system and a French press -- full immersion brewing without the mess of a French press.

Does it work with Joe's coffee ?? :)
Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2015, 01:55PM »

Chris asks:

> Does it work with Joe's coffee ??

It does, but it lacks the congeniality of our recent visit to Lenox Coffee.  ;-)

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
NJSouth

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2015, 04:53AM »

As we speak, my sister is on her way back from the Outer Banks with my 3lbs of "Pirates Blend" Coffee. Not only is it a great coffee.. smell, flavor... but it doubles as a cologne and household mesmerizing air freshener. After opening this coffee, the puffy shirt comes out of the closet and I talk like a pirate for the rest of the weekend. My wife hates it. Her loss.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: