Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092468 Posts in 72278 Topics- by 19421 Members - Latest Member: Decifix
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Obamacare explained for musicians  (Read 14011 times)
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2014, 02:05PM »

Oh that's right, I forgot it was a tax and not a monthly fee.  Or penalty... or whatever you want to call it.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2014, 07:27PM »

Health insurance premiums had previously been going up about 10% each year. Now they are actually edging down.

Is Obamacare Making Insurance Cheaper In Your City? New report shows prices falling in some places, but there's a catch

Short version of "the catch"... when open enrollment returns at the end of the year don't just accept an automatic re-enrollment in your current plan. Shop the available plans again for the best terms.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2014, 08:42AM »

The dates for Open Enrollment under the Affordable Care Act AKA Obamacare.

Remember to shop around again. There may be a better deal for you than re-upping on your current plan.

Open Enrollment is the time when you can find a new Marketplace plan, keep your current plan, or see if you can get help paying for coverage. If you want to make sure you’re covered in 2015, mark these 4 dates on your calendar:

November 15, 2014. This is your first day to take action to keep or change your coverage.

December 15, 2014. Enroll by the 15th if you want new coverage that begins on January 1, 2015. If your plan is changing or you want to change plans, enroll by December 15th to avoid a lapse in coverage.

December 31, 2014. The day all 2014 Marketplace coverage ends, no matter when you enrolled. Coverage for 2015 plans can start as soon as January 1st.

February 15, 2015.
The last day you can enroll in 2015 coverage before the end of Open Enrollment.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2015, 12:58PM »

Open Enrollment for 2016

Reminder for US citizens and residents that Open Enrollment for healthcare marketplace policies, with coverage to begin on Jan 1, ends in a couple days... Dec. 15.

Important dates for 2016 enrollment

December 15, 2015: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2016
    January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
    January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2016
    January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollments or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.

My insurance company for the past year offered me an automatic re-enrollment with a much higher premium.

I went to the Healthcare.gov site and found a plan with a different company that covers the same things for less cost than what I had this year.

Robert Holmén

robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:11AM »

Open Enrollment for 2017

The open enrollment deadline for choosing a policy at Healthcare.gov has been extended from yesterday, Dec 15, to Monday Dec 19.

Consumers will now have until midnight Monday, Dec. 19, to sign up for coverage that begins Jan. 1 and avoid paying a tax penalty for not having coverage. The marketplaces remain open for weeks beyond that for consumers to continue to shop, but for coverage dates that start later in the year.

The Affordable Care Act has been great for me.  I couldn't get health insurance before, now I can and it is indeed affordable.

I shall be very disappointed to see it go.

Robert Holmén

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:28AM »

Trump campaigned on "Repeal and Replace".  Unfortunately, it seems a lot of the Republicans only heard the "Repeal". :(

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2016, 01:15PM »

Open Enrollment for 2017

The open enrollment deadline for choosing a policy at Healthcare.gov has been extended from yesterday, Dec 15, to Monday Dec 19.

The Affordable Care Act has been great for me.  I couldn't get health insurance before, now I can and it is indeed affordable.

I shall be very disappointed to see it go.

Who said it's going anywhere?

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2016, 01:17PM »

Trump campaigned on "Repeal and Replace".  Unfortunately, it seems a lot of the Republicans only heard the "Repeal". :(
Who are these Republicans?  Insurance companies are dropping out of the exchanges. It's not sustainable.  The new plan will be much better.

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2016, 01:44PM »

Who are these Republicans?  Insurance companies are dropping out of the exchanges. It's not sustainable.  The new plan will be much better.

Are you on to something I am not/  I haven't heard a peep about a replacement for Obamacare.  Or are you talking about the Health Savings Accounts (which need money to work)?

Bruce Guttman
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2016, 03:13PM »

Are you on to something I am not/  I haven't heard a peep about a replacement for Obamacare.  Or are you talking about the Health Savings Accounts (which need money to work)?
Here's one plan.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/powerpost/wp/2016/06/22/republicans-have-a-plan-to-replace-obamacare-and-its-costs-are-unclear/?client=safari
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/11/21/502612264/if-republicans-repeal-obamacare-ryan-has-replacement-blueprint
And Dems want changes too.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/democrats-open-to-replacing-obamacare-232589

Ronald Reagan
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2016, 05:03PM »

Insurance companies are dropping out of the exchanges. It's not sustainable. 

There are at least two reasons I believe the insurance companies are disingenuous on this.

-Several of them only announced withdrawals after the Justice department moved to block competition-eliminating mergers they wanted. This pure revenge to try to wreck the ACA.

-Some insurance companies are claiming they have to withdraw because of losses but they are actually still highly profitable. They are trying to make the ACA appear unworkable even while other insurers do just fine in it.

I looked up earnings info for Aetna, one of the big withdrawers.  Booming profits every year of Obamacare with projections for continued growth.

They want to go back to the good old days when they could collect your premiums for years and then drop you once you got an expensive illness. Of course that would be more profitable... but that's not what we need health insurance for.

Here's another analysis...

Cry me a river, Aetna.

Retreating carriers whine that exchanges bruised their bottom lines; meanwhile, their profits are off the charts, thanks to ... Obamacare.

Robert Holmén

ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2016, 05:34PM »

There are at least two reasons I believe the insurance companies are disingenuous on this.

-Several of them only announced withdrawals after the Justice department moved to block competition-eliminating mergers they wanted. This pure revenge to try to wreck the ACA.

-Some insurance companies are claiming they have to withdraw because of losses but they are actually still highly profitable. They are trying to make the ACA appear unworkable even while other insurers do just fine in it.

I looked up earnings info for Aetna, one of the big withdrawers.  Booming profits every year of Obamacare with projections for continued growth.

They want to go back to the good old days when they could collect your premiums for years and then drop you once you got an expensive illness. Of course that would be more profitable... but that's not what we need health insurance for.

Here's another analysis...

Cry me a river, Aetna.

Actuaries look into the future.  Not just the present.  Yes, they may be profitable now but what about to the future?

Ronald Reagan
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:26PM »

Here in Texas, some companies pulled out but mine (Molina) and several otheres stayed and my rate went up only about $20/month this year over last year.

How is that their "actuaries" say can make money at it and other's can't?  Maybe it's not Obamacare.  Maybe some of those other companies are just damn wasteful and inefficient. Or crooked?

Why do we presume that it's Obama's fault that some companies do badly? Maybe they are just lousy at the insurance business?

Now that they have to actually do the thing they claim to do and can't just take your money... It turns out some of either weren't very good at it or just don't want to be.

Are any of these companies really getting their money's worth out of compensation like this? Is your healthcare any better because they do? 

One thing is certain. After Obamacare is ruined, those guys salaries will go up. That's why they are rooting for repeal.

Robert Holmén

harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Dec 19, 2016, 07:24AM »

"Health insurance premiums had previously been going up about 10% each year. Now they are actually edging down."

Hmmm...

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:05AM »

Here in Texas, some companies pulled out but mine (Molina) and several otheres stayed and my rate went up only about $20/month this year over last year.

How is that their "actuaries" say can make money at it and other's can't?  Maybe it's not Obamacare.  Maybe some of those other companies are just damn wasteful and inefficient. Or crooked?

Why do we presume that it's Obama's fault that some companies do badly? Maybe they are just lousy at the insurance business?

Now that they have to actually do the thing they claim to do and can't just take your money... It turns out some of either weren't very good at it or just don't want to be.

Are any of these companies really getting their money's worth out of compensation like this? Is your healthcare any better because they do? 

One thing is certain. After Obamacare is ruined, those guys salaries will go up. That's why they are rooting for repeal.

Joseph Molina compensation for 2015 10.3 million.  It doesn't matter what the CEO makes. I don't care what they make.  Good for them.
Molina is in now but what about the future? You could have been in any number of the companies that pulled out and said the same thing before they left.

You realize that obama already "ruined" health insurance for millions. So what is ruined for you may be great for others and vice versa. My deductible went to $10,000  a year. So obamacare sucks for me.

Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:15AM »

Obamacare is based on a Republican program for Massachusetts (Romneycare).  He chose this over single payer because he thought the Republicans would support something of their own devising.  He was wrong -- the hatred of that "Uppity N*****" exceeded his offer to nearly capitulate.

Note that if he was able to get single payer, your deductible would probably be something like Medicare: around $500 per year.

Bruce Guttman
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:30AM »

Obamacare is based on a Republican program for Massachusetts (Romneycare).  He chose this over single payer because he thought the Republicans would support something of their own devising.  He was wrong -- the hatred of that "Uppity N*****" exceeded his offer to nearly capitulate.

Note that if he was able to get single payer, your deductible would probably be something like Medicare: around $500 per year.
There's no "hatred for the uppity N*****". You have quite a guilt complex about that Bruce. You've posted that statement quite a bit.
Who cares who's plan it is.  It's a crummy plan and only good in a couple of respects which Trump and Ryan said they'd keep.

Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:35AM »

Dunno how crummy it is.  It works pretty well in Massachusetts.

Also, while I don't think you or Dusty have it in for Obama because of his race, I think there are a lot out there who do.  Just like there are a lot out there who are convinced that Hillary Clinton will mess things up simply because she's a woman.

Bruce Guttman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:47AM »

Actually, the base of the republican party and the tea party cautioned against having Mitt as the nominee because he was the author of his states healthcare, and he would not be able to argue against the implementation of Obamacare.

The base stayed home, and Mitt lost.

Please get over this myth that you guys keep trotting out by Obama's race, and Hillary's gender, and when you nominate an Hispanic, you'll float that out too. It really makes you guys look childish and laughable.

Get better policies and you'll get better results. Of course, since we're a two party political system, it will always be about the communists and the capitalists.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:25AM »

I wouldn't say anything about Hispanics.  You folks nearly nominated Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.  Plus you had another nominee who was married to a Hispanic (and speaks fluent Spanish).

Instead you elected a guy who ridicules them.

Dusty, you and I were both growing up before the Equal Rights act.  We both had family who were prejudiced.  Just because a law was passed saying it's not nice any more doesn't change the fact that some people still are prejudiced.

Bruce Guttman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: