Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092468 Posts in 72278 Topics- by 19421 Members - Latest Member: Decifix
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Obamacare explained for musicians  (Read 14010 times)
snorsworthy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:47AM »

"If you have your plan, you can keep it!" (Obama's promise, repeated over and over again)

Obama was privately informed prior to that statement that it would only apply if you had your plan prior to 2010, but he did not say that.

"Let's pass the plan so we can see what's inside the plan." (Nancy Pelosi)

Passed without one Republican vote. So much for Obama's compromises and lack of leadership.

He promised lower premiums.

My plan, which I had prior to 2010, well, I was able to keep it. But the plan went up 200% higher over the next few years. I checked to see if I could get a lower premium on an ObamaCare-qualified plan, and it would have been 100% even higher than the 200% increase I was getting on the non-Obama-care plan and for less total coverage!

Professional Engineer
Professional Trombonist
snorsworthy.com
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:54AM »

I don't really have an answer for your comment.  Obamacare was intended to be a way for people who didn't have health insurance through an employer to get health insurance.

One thing I kept hearing during my time as an employee was that health insurance premiums were increasing faster than any other cost.  This probably would be the same time as your stint at Motorola.  The health care expense problem long predated Obmamcare.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:58AM »

I wouldn't say anything about Hispanics.  You folks nearly nominated Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.  Plus you had another nominee who was married to a Hispanic (and speaks fluent Spanish).

Instead you elected a guy who ridicules them.

Dusty, you and I were both growing up before the Equal Rights act.  We both had family who were prejudiced.  Just because a law was passed saying it's not nice any more doesn't change the fact that some people still are prejudiced.
How about a black supreme court justice? Just for starters.
Condeleeza Rice, Conservativeblackchick.com, Mia Love,Dr Ben Carlson, Sheriff David Clarke,....
The anti black nutjobs are a small minority.
The left has racists just like the right Al Sharpton, the black panthers, many people in black lives matter. ...

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:13AM »

"If you have your plan, you can keep it!" (Obama's promise, repeated over and over again)

Obama was privately informed prior to that statement that it would only apply if you had your plan prior to 2010, but he did not say that.

What should have been explained is if you have a plan that meets all the legalities (preexisting conditions, etc.) then you can keep it.

Most states regulated their insurance agencies and so most plans did meet the new requirements.  Some states let insurance agencies do anything they wanted to maximize profits and those agencies did not meet requirements. 

Tim Richardson
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2016, 12:01PM »

Actually, leading up to the implementation of Obama care, my health insurance thru my employer was good and not near as expensive as it is now. This so called crisis was just that. It was a manufactured crisis for the democrats to create a one player, gov controlled healthcare provision. They didn't get the one payer, but they planned on going there next after the latest failures.

Then Trump.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 19, 2016, 12:06PM »

"Let's pass the plan so we can see what's inside the plan." (Nancy Pelosi)

Passed without one Republican vote. So much for Obama's compromises and lack of leadership.

He promised lower premiums.

My plan, which I had prior to 2010, well, I was able to keep it. But the plan went up 200% higher over the next few years. I checked to see if I could get a lower premium on an ObamaCare-qualified plan, and it would have been 100% even higher than the 200% increase I was getting on the non-Obama-care plan and for less total coverage!

I feel your pain.

My wife and I covered each other (double insurance). But thanks to Obama Care - no longer.
I have less coverage now.
My premiums JUMPED (they go up every year a minimal amount, but have jumped drastically since Obama Care).
I lost my plan, and had to settle for less.
I lost some Doctors, as they left this new plan.
I have higher deductibles.
I have higher Co-pays.
I have higher prescriptions.

Everything went up, even with loosing coverage, and with less family covered.

Obama is a liar, but then again - so are most politicians.

T.

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2016, 12:18PM »

My premiums JUMPED (they go up every year a minimal amount, but have jumped drastically since Obama Care).
I lost my plan, and had to settle for less.

That does make sense. 

You lost your plan, because it didn't cover everything that was required. 

Your new plan cost more, because it covered more things. 

For you it is lose lose, because you were happy with what you were getting, even though it didn't meet the new standards.  For a larger group it was a win. 

Tim Richardson
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:12PM »

That does make sense. 

You lost your plan, because it didn't cover everything that was required. 

Your new plan cost more, because it covered more things. 

For you it is lose lose, because you were happy with what you were getting, even though it didn't meet the new standards.  For a larger group it was a win. 
Sounds like Karl Marx. :-P

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:17PM »

Actually, leading up to the implementation of Obama care, my health insurance thru my employer was good and not near as expensive as it is now. This so called crisis was just that. It was a manufactured crisis for the democrats to create a one player, gov controlled healthcare provision. They didn't get the one payer, but they planned on going there next after the latest failures.

Then Trump.

You had employer provided health insurance.  How about the folks who either were self-employed, worked for very small companies, or worked for a Cheapskate like Wal-Mart?

Obamacare was not intended to replace employer provided health care.  In fact, there were parts of the law that imposed severe penalties on employers who removed healthcare insurance in favor of Obamacare.

Now a single payer or Government provided health care is a different animal...

Bruce Guttman
mbarbier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2016, 03:35PM »

maybe time to move this thread to the PP section?
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2016, 04:53PM »

You had employer provided health insurance.  How about the folks who either were self-employed, worked for very small companies, or worked for a Cheapskate like Wal-Mart?

Obamacare was not intended to replace employer provided health care.  In fact, there were parts of the law that imposed severe penalties on employers who removed healthcare insurance in favor of Obamacare.

Now a single payer or Government provided health care is a different animal...

You know, when we first started out working, health care insurance was offered to employees as an added bonus or incentive to allure better employees. Somewhere in time, people (liberals) decided that employers owed it to their employees, and it wasn't really a benefit anymore, but a government demanded entitlement.

You now see where that line of thinking has got us.

Energy City Big Band
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:00PM »

You know, when we first started out working, health care insurance was offered to employees as an added bonus or incentive to allure better employees. Somewhere in time, people (liberals) decided that employers owed it to their employees, and it wasn't really a benefit anymore, but a government demanded entitlement.

Nah.  You're not as old as we are.  We had health insurance because our unions fought for it.  Of course medical care wasn't as expensive then, that changed with an aging population, technology, etc. 

When capital succeeded in breaking the unions, health insurance started going down the tubes. 

Tim Richardson
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:07PM »

And when Unions were fighting for health care, it was more important because industrial safety was nonexistent.  Workers lost hands in machinery, or lungs to dust.

Bruce Guttman
hassein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:19PM »

Maybe you won't like this, but sleep on it. US government buys all insurance companies at their current stock price. Fire the CEO"S(They're such geniuses,they will fine employment elsewhere)Keep all employees on to keep things running. Regulate prices(like Medicare)What could be worse?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:28PM »

Maybe you won't like this, but sleep on it. US government buys all insurance companies at their current stock price. Fire the CEO"S(They're such geniuses,they will fine employment elsewhere)Keep all employees on to keep things running. Regulate prices(like Medicare)What could be worse?

This is total anathema to the Conservatives, who feel that free market is the solution to everything and that it's impossible for Government to do anything right.  And right now they control the both Houses of Congress and the Executive Branch.

After all, look at the lousy job Government did with managing Medicare and Medicaid.  Nobody gets good coverage from either of them, right? Evil

Bruce Guttman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:55PM »

The gov runs the VA. What could possibly go wrong with the gov running everybody's healthcare?

Energy City Big Band
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:49PM »

This kind of nonsense is why I blocked Chit Chat. It has nothing to do with trombones. It shouldn't be part of "The Business of Music."
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:58PM »

You now see where that line of thinking has got us.

Actually, employer-based health insurance was an accident of history. Because of WWII wage controls (intended to combat wartime inflation), employers competed for employees during a labor shortage, but couldn't offer them higher wages. Benefits were exempt, so we ended up with employer-based health insurance. It worked okay for a while, but not very much lately.

As a logical proposition, employer-based health insurance doesn't make much sense, because one's need for health care has nothing to do with employment.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:19PM »

Actually, employer-based health insurance was an accident of history. Because of WWII wage controls (intended to combat wartime inflation), employers competed for employees during a labor shortage, but couldn't offer them higher wages. Benefits were exempt, so we ended up with employer-based health insurance. It worked okay for a while, but not very much lately.

As a logical proposition, employer-based health insurance doesn't make much sense, because one's need for health care has nothing to do with employment.
Employer based health care made perfect sense as you were trying to attract employees with better benefits than the company down the street. Worked great until Obamacare kicked in.

Ronald Reagan
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:21PM »

This kind of nonsense is why I blocked Chit Chat. It has nothing to do with trombones. It shouldn't be part of "The Business of Music."
What "kind of nonsense"?  The OP brought up the topic of health care as a trombone professional. 

Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: