Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087210 Posts in 72006 Topics- by 19242 Members - Latest Member: simonvd
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBQ on the cheap  (Read 18332 times)
greg waits
« on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:11PM »

It's not like it is expensive anyway, but I wanted some ribs the other day. We were in an Asian market the other day. I spotted a package of beef ribs that were cut in half. The racks were normal length,. but they weren't as wide. And they were cheap.

It was cold outside and I didn't really want to fire up either the gas grill or the wood smoker. I cheated; after marinating them awhile in bbq sauce I put them in a baking dish and slow roasted them for a few hours @ 275 degrees.

The meat was literally falling off the small rib bones. I took the bones out (after cooling obviously) and then I chopped it all up, trying to remove as much of any gristle I could. I added a healthy amount of bbq sauce, stirred it up and reheated it. Wrapped in flour tortillas, this was excellent.

Sure, it wasn't done purist style. I didn't really care. I was hungry and the clean up easier.

I always preferred pork ribs to beef, but these came out great!
Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:21PM »

Great minds think alike!

I prefer dry rub: sprinkle them liberally w/your favorite seasonings (I like a couple: the Stubbs dry rub and a general New Orlean's mix we found called "Joe's"), wrap in aluminum foil, maybe add a tiny bit of beer or vinegar, slow-roast in oven for 45 at low heat.

Yum!

Oh, and then there's the crockpot....

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.tommattabigband.com
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2014, 07:07AM »

But you can't really call it BBQ if there is no smoke involved in the cooking process. Even though it is still very tasty.
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2014, 08:29AM »

But you can't really call it BBQ if there is no smoke involved in the cooking process. Even though it is still very tasty.

that really depends on where you're from.  In some places BBQ refers to the method of cooking, in some it's the method of dressing the meat/saucing. 

I love smoked meats, but I don't consider the smoking necessary as long as the meat is cooked well and seasoned nicely. 

purists be damned!  Okay, I admit, I want a little smoker - you know, something 10X15X30 that I can get a few carcasses in.  Ever had smoked Elk or moose? 

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
ArtL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2014, 09:20AM »

I cannot remember the specifics, as I am at work (shhhh...), but take spareribs, dry rub them and let them sit.  Using heavy duty foil, make an 8x8 pouch and poke a few holes in it.  Soak some chunks (1/2"-1") of your favorite wood (I prefer oak, but you can use hickory, mesquite, or apple)in water for 15 minutes and put them in the pouch.  Light up all the burners on your grill and let it get hot.  Shut off all but one of the burners.  Place the foil pouch directly on the lit burner and put the ribs on the opposite end of the grill.  Take a piece of foil and lay it over the ribs to act as a lid to trap the smoke.  Try to keep the grill temp at 220F or so.  Let them cook for an hour, then remove from the grill.  Rub them down again, wrap tightly in foil, and then put them in your oven (250F? can't remember right now) until meat falls off the bone.  Unwrap like a Christmas present and enjoy.  Finishing in the oven is easy; spending an entire afternoon tending a smoker can be tedious.

Zac,  easiest smoker in the world:  http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_2/Smokette-Original-Model-SM009-2

Load with meat, put wood in the box at the bottom, shut the door, set the timer, and walk away.  Come back when the timer rings.  Plugs into a standard 120V outlet.  Neighbor has one, and it works magic on anything you put in it.  What it does to turkey must be illegal.  Made up the road in Ponca City.   

...we are not yet what we shall be, but we are growing toward it...
Martin Luther
Exzaclee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2014, 09:24AM »

I'm gonna have to get one of those when i'm home again - which will be in the fall, the perfect time!

www.zacleemusic.com
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2014, 03:07PM »

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I microwave the ribs for a while, then put them on the grill.  They are a bit chewy, but they get done a lot faster than slow roasting on the grill but still have the smokey grill flavor. 

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2014, 06:48AM »

that really depends on where you're from.  In some places BBQ refers to the method of cooking, in some it's the method of dressing the meat/saucing. 
In New England, "barbecue" just means that you cooked it outside.  It's more like an event than a style of food.  People will invite friends, neighbors, and relatives over for a "barbecue" and spend 20 minutes cooking some burgers and hot dogs, serve them with with ketchup and mustard, and they will still call it a "barbecue."  The guests usually bring beer, and you hangout in the back yard.  There might be Frisbee, lawn darts, croquet, bocce, horseshoes, or some other lawn games.  "Barbecue" isn't really about the food; it's more about hanging out together.  I think that in other parts of the country, this is called a "cookout."
Rathrombones
The Lone Bone Soloist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2014, 11:05PM »

Making your own ribs is too much work :)...  I just go Applebees and get my ribs done for me  Embarrassed!...
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2014, 02:38AM »

For someone who hails from an area of the country where we have at least one delicious form of BBQ per state if not more, this topic just makes me sad. BBQ isn't a sauce or cooking - it's an art form. A cultural event. A way of turning cheap, tough cuts of meat into delicious awesomeness.

*Sigh*
Exzaclee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2014, 07:06AM »

Applebees has the worst ribs I've ever tasted.  Ever.

Of course I don't even order ribs at restaurants anymore unless they are dedicated BBQ shacks.  We have some pretty good shacks here in OKC and the surrounding areas - and much cheaper than that crap at applebees.  (full disclosure, I worked at applebees almost 20 years ago- i know what's in the food there.)

My buddy Chad runs a joint called the Chop Shop in OKC - the smoker there was built on site and it's pretty good size.  That guy knows his BBQ.  If I want ribs, that's where I go.

www.zacleemusic.com
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2014, 07:08AM »

I'm not a huge fan of BBQ. The last time I went to one, the guy brought out some lovely stuff which his wife had been cooking in the oven. He then threw it on the barbie to finish it off, and proceeded to ruin it. What is the point of that??  Confused

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
jorymil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2014, 08:38PM »

I've been eyeing this topic--gotta hold off... gotta hold off... dang it!

I'm originally from Kansas City, so I grew up with some fantastic BBQ.  There's some serious competitions all over the Kansas/Missouri/Oklahoma/Nebraska/Arkansas area.  My sister's in Texas, so I've been to some awesome BBQ joints near Austin.  Been to NC and Memphis, too, but don't feel like I've gotten the full experience there yet.

If it's not smoked, it's not BBQ.  Period.  It's grilled meat.  You might throw some ribs on the "barbecue grill," or you might go to a "barbecue," but it's just not the same.  Don't call a hamburger or a hot dog "barbecue."  Crockpot??  Really??  Might still taste good, mind you, but don't call it BBQ.  Ribs on the grill?  Sounds good.  Marinate some chicken breasts and stick 'em on the grill?  I'm all over it.  Not BBQ, though, unless it's been slowly smoked.  Now that I live in New England, I shudder every time people talk about Barbeque (yes, that's how I spell it, dammit), then proceed to talk about their hamburgers.  People don't realize that good barbeque is its own cuisine, one of America's culinary contributions to the world, and that it's all about smoked meats.

It's not about the sauce, either--in Texas, sauce is an afterthought in a lot of places.  People will line up _just_for_the_meat_.  The kind of wood you use in the smoker, the kind of rub you use (have yet to see marinated BBQ), that's where it's at.  If you have a good sauce, it helps matters, but your meat better be good.  If the meat isn't smoked on-premises, you're in trouble.  I want to see you slicing the meat (or taking a cleaver to a rack of ribs).  I want to smell smoked meat from a block or two away....

John
Rathrombones
The Lone Bone Soloist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2014, 10:56PM »

(full disclosure, I worked at applebees almost 20 years ago- i know what's in the food there.)

^This scares me  :( :( :(...
MrPillow
Organologique et plus!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2014, 08:12AM »

(full disclosure, I worked at applebees almost 20 years ago- i know what's in the food there.)

If it was that bad 20 years ago I can only imagine how awful it is now  Evil

King 3B/F Silversonic - King 608F - Holton Paul Whiteman Model
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2014, 08:50AM »

Easter week, thawed-out (I hesitate to call them fresh, even though the grocery store chain did) turkeys were $1.29 a pound--couldn't pass it up, bought one, carved out the spine and split it...brined it (eighteen hours) and smoked it (six hours). A thin slice of heaven... Pant

Daniel De Kok
Principal, Warminster (PA) Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2014, 02:01PM »

In New England, "barbecue" just means that you cooked it outside.  It's more like an event than a style of food.  People will invite friends, neighbors, and relatives over for a "barbecue" and spend 20 minutes cooking some burgers and hot dogs, serve them with with ketchup and mustard, and they will still call it a "barbecue."  The guests usually bring beer, and you hangout in the back yard.  There might be Frisbee, lawn darts, croquet, bocce, horseshoes, or some other lawn games.  "Barbecue" isn't really about the food; it's more about hanging out together.  I think that in other parts of the country, this is called a "cookout."
Must be a Boston thing. IN CT we call cooking out cooking out. Sometimes we have barbeque at the cookout.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2014, 11:15AM »

I don't know if I've mentioned this article before, but at least in North Carolina, there are articles in scholarly journals regarding barbecue.  Check this out if you have access to Academic Search Complete:

Thompson, M. D. (2005). "Everything but the Squeal": Pork as Culture in Eastern North Carolina. North Carolina Historical Review, 82(4), 464-498.

It says (among other interesting things) that the cut of pork you chose to eat was an outward determiner of your social class.  It's a fascinating read.

Next up for my smoker--beef, either short ribs or brisket. Pant

Daniel De Kok
Principal, Warminster (PA) Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
Paul Martin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 28, 2014, 11:23AM »

I'm not a huge fan of BBQ. The last time I went to one, the guy brought out some lovely stuff which his wife had been cooking in the oven. He then threw it on the barbie to finish it off, and proceeded to ruin it. What is the point of that??  Confused

No real BBQ is made in an oven; it might be kept warm in one, though.

Real BBQ is smoked over a long period of time, using hardwood logs or charcoal, and almost always involve a lesser (but increasingly, no longer cheap!) piece of meat like a pork shoulder, a brisket, or spare ribs.  The real thing is abundant in the Southern US through to about Texas, and has all sorts of regional differences (ribs are a lot less common in central Texas than beef brisket and sausage, but in East Texas, you start to find more ribs).  Once you've had the real thing, you realize how sad most of what is called "BBQ" actually is.

"Yankeeland" (Northeast and Upper Midwest in the US) increasingly has some decent BBQ places, guys who know the difference between parboiling ribs and slapping some sorry ass sauce on them, and taking the time to cook meat slowly with wood or charcoal, but if "cheap and ubiquitous" is your mantra, go to the Southern US, where they take such things seriously, and nearly every town has a BBQ joint.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2014, 02:19PM by Paul Martin » Logged
BiggieSmalls

"Visit my studio in Santa Fe, NM!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2014, 12:29PM »

if "cheap and ubiquitous" is your mantra, go to the Southern US, where they take such things seriously, and nearly every town was a BBQ joint.

If you're ever in Memphis, try the dry-rubbed ribs at Rendezvous Ribs:

https://www.hogsfly.com/

The holy grail of Southern BBQ ribs! But not particularly cheap...

"If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise."- William Blake

"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up for work."- Chuck Close
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: