Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088565 Posts in 71936 Topics- by 19309 Members - Latest Member: subs4ks
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBQ on the cheap  (Read 18416 times)
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 01:18PM »

Next time I fire up the smoker, I'm making these:
http://www.grilling24x7.com/oring.shtml
five words: Smoked. Bacon. Wrapped. Onion. Rings.
It is to weep.

Daniel De Kok
Principal, Warminster (PA) Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Jul 16, 2014, 08:16AM »

Next time I fire up the smoker, I'm making these:
http://www.grilling24x7.com/oring.shtml
five words: Smoked. Bacon. Wrapped. Onion. Rings.
It is to weep.

I made them, once in the oven (300 degrees for 70 minutes)--delicious!
once on the smoker, along with sausage and boneless chicken breast--beyond awesome. The guests at my son's graduation party couldn't get enough of them. :D

Daniel De Kok
Principal, Warminster (PA) Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
Manexbi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2014, 11:39PM »

I'm getting hungry and it is about 8:30 here...
I will definetly try this!!!

"Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation. Revolution is the second!"
littlerockjohn

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 19, 2014, 07:58PM »

I just have to pipe in here, even if I am late to the party.  I bought myself an electric smoker last year, and ... wow!  Take it out on the patio or the deck, plug it in the AC outlet, throw in 2 handfuls of chips, and you will be amazed.  225 F for 6-10 hours, dry rub your ribs, pork butt, whole chicken, whatever....  I went to one of my favorite BBQ places a couple months ago and realized just how mediocre they were, and my smoking isn't that great! 
Manexbi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2014, 12:14AM »

I have been in Iran for some days for work and the do use some kind of BBQ there to cook...

I had some amazing dishes there but there is one that I will include in my BBQs in the future...

They cook some fresh tomatoes as a side of the meet/fish you get as main dish... it is a must try!

"Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation. Revolution is the second!"
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2014, 05:03PM »

Labor Day, so I barbecued a pork shoulder.  It really is pretty cheap given how many servings one gets out of a shoulder.  Served it with fingerlings and sauteed beet greens.  Daughter had a friend over, so we had one additional meat eater.  Gave the cat some pulled pork before saucing it.  Heated up a veggie burger for daughter.

Steven Cangemi
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2014, 07:25PM »

I have been in Iran for some days for work and the do use some kind of BBQ there to cook...

I had some amazing dishes there but there is one that I will include in my BBQs in the future...

They cook some fresh tomatoes as a side of the meet/fish you get as main dish... it is a must try!

We are getting baseball bat size zucchini in the garden.  My wife slices or chunks them (depending on how fast I want them to cook), tosses them with some oil and seasoning, and I grill them in a basket or on a fine mesh grill on top of the regular grill.  Nice smoke flavor, nice carmelization of the skin.  Tasty way to get rid of too many zuks! 

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
NJSouth

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2015, 01:41PM »

I love BBQ cheap, expensive, smokey, on the grill, any which way. This year I got into open fire cooking. It was great for ribs but its a lot of work and not so good for steak. The smoke does wonders for the ribs but beef not so much. Its time consuming too. My wife likes ribs in the oven coated with BBQ sauce. Fine by me but its just not challenging like that. I enjoy cooking and now that the weather it turning its where I want to be on the weekend. BBQing!
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2015, 08:06PM »

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I microwave the ribs for a while, then put them on the grill.  They are a bit chewy, but they get done a lot faster than slow roasting on the grill but still have the smokey grill flavor. 
Hmm
Last night I had to hurry up a frozen pork roast. I threw it, frozen, into the pressure cooker. I added a couple cups of water, a half can of stewed diced tomatoes I found in the freezer, half an onion and half a dozen garlic cloves salt pepper some Indian spice mix and 45 minutes at 25 PSI. Then an hour at 425 in the oven to brown. Too long, burnt the oven fries, trying to get to the hardware store and back while cooking.
The Aha came when I was eating the leftovers with a little smokey BBQ sauce. TO TRY- Place the empty pressure cooker pot upside down over a low smoky fire. Then continue with the above process. What will happen? would a sane person try this?

DRB
Seola Creek

For a more traditional viewpoint
http://libraries.mercer.edu/repository/bitstream/handle/10898/1520/Barbecue%20project.pdf?sequence=5
Paul Martin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:49AM »

Any more, Salmon can be cheap, filets are pretty much 100% useable meat by weight, and salmon or any kind of fatty fish (trout, mackerel, bluefish) smoke very nicely, and relatively quickly.

You should brine the fish beforehand and allow to form a skin prior to smoking, so a bit of advanced prep, and use a mild hardwood, but the results are as good as any cold-smoked fish you can find.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: