Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088979 Posts in 71983 Topics- by 19325 Members - Latest Member: StanKenton69
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next Horn  (Read 4520 times)
LowBrassKing
« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2014, 12:26PM »

Please do not under value the advice people like DJ and sabuin give you.

Really don't under value any advice on this forum, but these guys know their stuff.
Bimmerman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2014, 06:48PM »

I would consider other small bores too than just the 3B. A good Bach 16m might suit you better, or a Conn. Try everything and use what works. I prefer the 16 to the 3B for most jazz work and the 2B to the 16m for lead. I just got a Bach 8 that is giving the 2B a run for its money.....point is, try everything and ignore the name on the horn. What works for me likely won't for you.

Also, you dont need to spend $1500 on a small bore. I bought a 2B off of the classifieds here for $500, with a refreshed slide, and that horn has been great. I would say since you're a freshman, keep your Bach and Rath and find a cheap small bore. Once you figure out what you want to actually play going forward, change equipment if you need to. A .547 and a .500ish will take you far.
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2014, 07:17PM »

I just got a Bach 8 that is giving the 2B a run for its money...

It got there safely!  I'm glad it's working  :D

-John
Bimmerman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2014, 07:23PM »

It got there safely!  I'm glad it's working  :D

Yup, arrived today but have only had 20min to play it. I'm liking it so far!
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 12, 2014, 07:43PM »

Also...if you have a car, I would strongly suggest making a day trip to Dillon Music in NJ. They always have a whole wall of used horns plus a good stock of new ones. You want to know the difference between a brass bell and silver bell 3B? No better place to find out. You might luck out there as well and find a horn...not necessarily a 3B...that you like at a price that you can afford.

I should mention that according to their website, Dillon Music has FOUR Selmer Boleros, and a few other Selmer Paris Horns. They are, spec-wise, around the same as a king 3b.  Heck they even look a bit like a king with the curved front bell brace. I have heard great things about them, even from former King 3B lovers. There is also a selmer "largo" that is sometimes seen.

Have you been to Dillon Music? It's worth the trip to get a chance to blow through a whole bunch of horns in a short amount of time.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
Andrew Pacht

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2014, 07:55PM »

I should mention that according to their website, Dillon Music has FOUR Selmer Boleros, and a few other Selmer Paris Horns. They are, spec-wise, around the same as a king 3b.  Heck they even look a bit like a king with the curved front bell brace. I have heard great things about them, even from former King 3B lovers. There is also a selmer "largo" that is sometimes seen.

Have you been to Dillon Music? It's worth the trip to get a chance to blow through a whole bunch of horns in a short amount of time.

I was there a few weeks ago.  I played on some 2Bs and 3Bs, but I was mostly there playing on large bore horns.  I liked one of the 3Bs I played, but I didn't neccesarily care for the other one.  I'm leaving for college next week, so I can't imagine when I will make it back to Dillon's in the near future.

Andrew Pacht
SUNY Fredonia - Class of 2018
Rath R4F
1975 King 3B
Selman Alto
JimR

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 13, 2014, 07:02AM »

Who deals in 3Bs that would have more insight?

I saw a 3B bell in the classifieds and I have been considering getting it, but I don't know if I want to spend $300 on a bell section of a horn that I don't have, and a bell section that I may not even use.  I think the bell came from you DJ.

As info, I am selling the 3B bell.  I got it from DJ probably 6-7 years ago but only AFTER much discussion with him on my needs.  I would NOT recommend buying this bell or any other trombone "part" at this stage of your development.  Call DJ, talk to him, tell him your goals, how much you can spend and LISTEN to his recommendation.  I have done that on multiple occasions as have so many others here.

I am selling this bell because it is part of a 3B "backup" horn and I have a F bell also - don't really need both bells for a backup horn.  I would NOT want to sell you the bell given your circumstances.

Did I mention to call DJ?

Cheers
Jim
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 13, 2014, 07:27AM »

I was there a few weeks ago.  I played on some 2Bs and 3Bs, but I was mostly there playing on large bore horns.  I liked one of the 3Bs I played, but I didn't neccesarily care for the other one.  I'm leaving for college next week, so I can't imagine when I will make it back to Dillon's in the near future.

Thanksgiving?  Christmas?  The day after Thanksgiving, Dillon's is usually a bit of a mad house with customers in town for the holiday.  This is fine when what you mostly want is to be left alone with the instruments. 

Going to Dillon from here, I usually grab Metro North in Poughkeepsie, get from Grand Central to Penn Station, then take the North Jersey Coast Line to Woodbridge.  It saves wear and tear.  I guess Amtrak would take you directly to Penn Station, saving the bit on the Subway, but I've never done that.

Steven Cangemi
Andrew Pacht

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 13, 2014, 09:55AM »

Thanksgiving?  Christmas?  The day after Thanksgiving, Dillon's is usually a bit of a mad house with customers in town for the holiday.  This is fine when what you mostly want is to be left alone with the instruments. 

Going to Dillon from here, I usually grab Metro North in Poughkeepsie, get from Grand Central to Penn Station, then take the North Jersey Coast Line to Woodbridge.  It saves wear and tear.  I guess Amtrak would take you directly to Penn Station, saving the bit on the Subway, but I've never done that.

Not sure, probably sometime when I'm home from college, probably between semesters.  I'm sure I could round up friends and make a day out of it.

Andrew Pacht
SUNY Fredonia - Class of 2018
Rath R4F
1975 King 3B
Selman Alto
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 13, 2014, 06:17PM »

this is a  nice bell  --!!!!  from the engraving --a  post eastlake  pre 2103 
 AND   a complete 3B  from this era is  very desirable in the MIAMI  REGION
--------------
 for reasons unknown --but guessed  at --the  3bs  from this specific  time frame 
   are   usually super solid players  with  a denser  tone   that will take  much fff

----------
i have had  many variations  from ''THE SPLASH =A FREAKSHOW''   this flare was very thin --UNSOLDERED BEAD  !!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH  !!!!!
        along with a hot blowing slide    --this had to be-- volatile AND  volcanic  ---was  bought  by a  very knowing  tryee 
          who played  nimble and  quick--who appreciated  the  taste --and  wanted  a  more unique  voice  --
             also at same show --a  ropy bell in mint    --that went to  MIAMI  !!!    these two  are about as opposite as it gets
==================
  silver sonics are totally  variable   ----the sgx   and anniversary  being  the  most  consistant  --some flares being  very  heavy
    some thinner   ---along with the  differing  leadpipe  and overall resistance  ---there are some outstanding  sonics
===================
 b/f   fattachment ----WHY  NOT  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--i have  often gotten fatt 3bs   with intent    to convert to straight [done many times]
       however some blow  just fantastic --so best  not to mess 
======================
  gold brass  flares  -again depends on  the  resonance of flare  --from very dark -less  cut ---to a more  edgy  at certain volume
    most often  occuring in  variants  like 3b+   and benge 170 freelance
---------------------
 currently  studio has  perhaps  10-12  3bs --and it is a joy when  top players  come to pick  out a particular  one
   because  then and only then    do the   personalities  of these  excellent  3bs   emerge
--------------
 cody  henry ///rodney lancaster // scott bentall// chris moncelli //doug bert//steve frejus// brett barlow//bob conger//zac lee//brent wallarab //aaron chandler //chops katzen//luke malewitz//david themie//bruce smith//---gobs of college  boys ---and NO GRADE SCHOOLERS  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--and virtually no locals either
=================
   a  ''typical''  vintage[55-62] --3b  is quirky  and be stubborn  -can resist -twist  and  perplex -
    can be tempermental  -demanding  --
 basically   one must adjust explore  get used to   be surprized  find  new things  not force   nor expect too much
  there is something special  about these  undefined   unexplainable --the case  -the feel --
      especially  for one in  a ''jj  phase''    3bs  have a lot of discovery
--------
  as  does  every trombone  fancy  or  humble
in the end it comes  down
to
you

As info, I am selling the 3B bell.  I got it from DJ probably 6-7 years ago but only AFTER much discussion with him on my needs.  I would NOT recommend buying this bell or any other trombone "part" at this stage of your development.  Call DJ, talk to him, tell him your goals, how much you can spend and LISTEN to his recommendation.  I have done that on multiple occasions as have so many others here.

I am selling this bell because it is part of a 3B "backup" horn and I have a F bell also - don't really need both bells for a backup horn.  I would NOT want to sell you the bell given your circumstances.

Did I mention to call DJ?

Cheers
Jim

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Aug 13, 2017, 07:23AM »

Post taken down...I didn't realize this was an old thread.

Sorry...

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 13, 2017, 08:51AM »

As a freshman going into Music school (and Fredonia is a Great School) Don`t rush into the unknown too fast. You have no idea what is ahead of you for the next 4 years.
Sell the Bach and WAIT. You may find that the "Classical" side of the horn really calls you. You may find in a year or so you`d like an Alto.
Or the "Jazz" horn you pick now isn`t really what you want but you had to have one now.
Relax.
Let the year and your College career settle in and then find out what you really need and not just what you want.

“Where words leave off, music begins.”
― Heinrich Heine
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 13, 2017, 08:54AM »

Guys, this thread ended three years ago.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Aug 13, 2017, 10:22AM »

Guys, this thread ended three years ago.

Yup.

When I clicked on the "Show unread posts since last visit" above...which I do regularly...it glitched sent me into the past. The "Wayback" past. And there I saw a post from someone who has seemed to me recently to be a little...off. I thought he was being off now, but I see he was doing it much earlier.

Sorry...

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 14, 2017, 01:00PM »

Make a feature of your brightness, get a Jiggs or Connstellation........
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 14, 2017, 02:18PM »

For the win

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: