Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080721 Posts in 71535 Topics- by 19059 Members - Latest Member: francesco.ro79
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceThe Business of Music(Moderator: BGuttman) Los Angeles Philharmonic principal audition -- any news?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Los Angeles Philharmonic principal audition -- any news?  (Read 11117 times)
BRASSerie

View Profile
« on: Oct 09, 2014, 09:58AM »

Auditions for the L.A. Phil principal trombone position were supposed to be done yesterday.  Any news on if they offered the job or trials to anyone, or who happened to be in the running this time?  With Stacy's site being a bit behind due to her other commitments, I figured I'd ask here.

LX

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:06PM »

Just heard that no finalists were chosen.

"Perfection is a achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Bmalta

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:20PM »

Wow. So who has been playing principal? Jim Miller?

"No excuses, Play like a champion" - Wedding Crashers
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:30PM »

Wow. So who has been playing principal? Jim Miller?

He told me he's been playing in it a lot lately.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50T, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
BRASSerie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2014, 07:54PM »

Nitzan set the bar pretty high.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2014, 08:59PM »

So... what do they do next in this sort of situation? I presume this means no one acceptable applied.

Do they send out headhunters to try to lure someone they know?

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
davidbinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2014, 01:14AM »

http://trombone.myartsonline.com/news.htm#AUD
BigRedTruck

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2014, 04:46AM »

It is nice to see John Sipher's name show up.  I enjoyed his playing during his tenure in the  Syracuse Symphony before it folded.
LX

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2014, 08:52AM »

Just to confirm...spoke briefly to a couple LA Phil members and John was the one player chosen from the audition to do a one week trial. He came all the way through the prelims too!!

"Perfection is a achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BRASSerie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2014, 03:27PM »

Just to confirm...spoke briefly to a couple LA Phil members and John was the one player chosen from the audition to do a one week trial. He came all the way through the prelims too!!

Thanks, Alex.  Does that mean that Jim Miller isn't in the running too, or only that he didn't have to audition from the prelims all the way through the finals?
LX

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2014, 04:14AM »

I believe Jim will also be given a trial. The CBA for the LA Phil also gives management the right to invite other players at their discretion. I believe that is how Nitzan, and Steve Witser before him were selected.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Bobmranger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2014, 09:35AM »

But Jim Miller plays first trombone every week now anyway. How is a trial different?
Jay Heltzer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2014, 04:51PM »

Taking an educated guess here...

Trial weeks could be scheduled when the music director is in town, conducting a program, as well as playing substantial rep.  It doesn't serve a purpose to put a player through a week with a guest, and only an overture to play.

Jay Heltzer
Bass Trombone
US Air Force Concert Band
LX

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2014, 08:39PM »

Different orchestras do things differently obviously, but in previous auditions with the LA Philharmonic, in addition to whatever rep they performed , candidates given a week long trial have played solo and section excerpts with the whole orchestra, sometimes tacked on the end of a rehearsal. This is often the first time the conductor and committee has really heard the player in the context of the actual job. There are often other playing events that might be created the week a player is in town. Sometimes it is a solo recital or some chamber music reading.

If Jim is indeed doing a week long trial, I think this will be his fourth time. He really has little left to prove to anyone. He is a fantastic player who can obviously "do the job". If they hire someone else, they still have him in the section! Which is why incumbent acting principals are often at a disadvantage. "Let's hire ANOTHER great player for principal. Then well have BOTH the best players we have heard." The same thing would happen by offering the new person the Jim's job if they hire Jim on Principal. The orchestra management can still bring in outside players for week long trials too. Very often offers go out to players holding positions in other "top tier" orchestras.

<Edit: Duplicate post removed>
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2014, 08:51PM by BGuttman » Logged

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2014, 08:52PM »

Is this how they managed to have Peebles and Sauer as co-principals for many years?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BRASSerie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2014, 04:59PM »

Some clarification on the situation . . .

"A quick update regarding LA Phil's latest Principal Trombone search"
Bmalta

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2014, 10:02PM »

He played with cake? He has my vote, because it matters

"No excuses, Play like a champion" - Wedding Crashers
jennconducts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:00AM »

If Jim is indeed doing a week long trial, I think this will be his fourth time. He really has little left to prove to anyone. He is a fantastic player who can obviously "do the job". If they hire someone else, they still have him in the section! Which is why incumbent acting principals are often at a disadvantage. "Let's hire ANOTHER great player for principal. Then well have BOTH the best players we have heard." The same thing would happen by offering the new person the Jim's job if they hire Jim on Principal. The orchestra management can still bring in outside players for week long trials too. Very often offers go out to players holding positions in other "top tier" orchestras.

This.  Jim IS a fantastic player and has been doing all of the principal parts and sounding great.

Jenn

Conductor, Professor of Music, Performing Arts Division Chair, Low Brass Studio, guitarist, Cuesta College, San Luis Obispo, CA
Brassworks

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:21AM »

Any news on this?
BRASSerie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 04:16PM »

FWIW:  Colin Williams is playing as guest principal with the LA Phil for their four concerts this weekend.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: