Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080487 Posts in 71508 Topics- by 19054 Members - Latest Member: trombonejb
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Suggestions on trombone stands?  (Read 8047 times)
stanzabone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: Apr 21, 2017, 11:54AM »

http://www.kolberg.com/products/en_GB/152/product/4928.html

This is what we use in the pit. Heavy beasts but solid. At home I use 3 K&Ms and am quite happy (alto, spare tenor and bass).
Kolberg are a percussion company and make the best percussion stands around so you can trust their work. The 330 price point may turn you off though.

It's the spitoon added to the leg that runs the cost up... Also those don't appear to be very roadworthy, (as in foldable legs) but are doubtless just the thing for an orchestra pit or rehearsal room.

On a related note, a number of commenters have mentioned watching out for your slide crook being dented by the leg of a stand. On my old Hamilton, I used about 2 inches of Velcro with the sticky back, (just the soft part, not the "hooks") and applied them to the tops of the legs in the area where the slide might contact it. It's just enough cushioning to protect the crook from a metal-to-metal ding, and has probably saved my crook from damage on more than one occasion. Some thin Neoprene or a similar soft material with an adhesive backing would probably work fine, as well.  Clever Good!

"Keep it greasy so it'll go down easy" - Frank Zappa
Dombat

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 21, 2017, 10:54PM »

It's the spitoon added to the leg that runs the cost up... Also those don't appear to be very roadworthy, (as in foldable legs) but are doubtless just the thing for an orchestra pit or rehearsal room.

On a related note, a number of commenters have mentioned watching out for your slide crook being dented by the leg of a stand. On my old Hamilton, I used about 2 inches of Velcro with the sticky back, (just the soft part, not the "hooks") and applied them to the tops of the legs in the area where the slide might contact it. It's just enough cushioning to protect the crook from a metal-to-metal ding, and has probably saved my crook from damage on more than one occasion. Some thin Neoprene or a similar soft material with an adhesive backing would probably work fine, as well.  Clever Good!

They weigh 3kg and are solid they get put in place and stay there. Great for what they are. Useless for travel.
Big Daddy K

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 27, 2017, 09:58AM »

BIG OL' HONKIN' shout-out to the folks at Hamilton Stands!
I emailed them asking about purchasing a top cap and a couple of feet for my 70's vintage trombone stand. The replied saying they'd ship the items out to me AT NO CHARGE. Well, here's what came in today's mail:
Top Cap
Bell Support
4 Feet
All for FREE!

1940 King Liberty
1949 Olds Special
Roy Benson 227F/Gb

"The contest entry form said 'void where prohibited' so I pissed on the Captain's desk".
Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Apr 27, 2017, 03:41PM »

I emailed them asking about purchasing a top cap and a couple of feet for my 70's vintage trombone stand. The replied saying they'd ship the items out to me AT NO CHARGE. Well, here's what came in today's mail:
Top Cap
Bell Support
4 Feet
All for FREE!

Good!

I had a similar experience - lost a couple of rubber feet, called Hamilton, sent them a check for $4 for postage, and a few days later received six rubber feet.  Excellent customer service.  I'm now a loyal fan!

:) 
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: Apr 27, 2017, 04:39PM »

Top Cap
Bell Support
4 Feet
All for FREE!

Yeah...but...

My several month old Hamilton's screw tighteners are already pretty well worn out and the cup suppoprt for the bell that's supposed to be adjustable never worked.

A large piece of crap, basically. I'm using it...using tape to set the lengths...but REALLY!!!

They probably sent you and Posaunus extra feet because they can't read very well.

Sorry...I get pissed off when things that I pay for don't work. If I played like they are now making trombone stands I'd be working as a fry cook now.

S.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2017, 11:27AM by sabutin » Logged

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 27, 2017, 04:50PM »

Sorry for your bad experience, Sam.  I think the newer ones aren't as good as the old ones.  I have a couple of Hamilton stands that are 30 years old and work fine, but with a replacement end cap (cane tip) and a cut plunger as a bell support.  The plunger setup I have is probably better than the original dome for my larger bore horns.

But there are other good stands out there.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Big Daddy K

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:00AM »

They probably sent you and Posaunus extra feet because they can't ead very well.

I feel ya pal

1940 King Liberty
1949 Olds Special
Roy Benson 227F/Gb

"The contest entry form said 'void where prohibited' so I pissed on the Captain's desk".
Whitbey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2017, 06:35AM »

Over the years I find the bad part of trombone stands is leaving the horn on the stand when you are not with the horn. Flute players seem to be the worst. One took down my horn and two music stands.
If I use a stand I find they work much better if my size 12 is resting on a leg. Otherwise I just do not leave the horn on the stand. I find with my size 12 even the in the bell stands work just fine.
The last few years I just hold my horn and save the trouble of bringing a stand most of the time.
At home I have a stand rack I built that holds seven horns. It is screwed to the floor so as long as the basement floor does not fall over they will be fine. 

See my profile for my horns. To long to put on each post.
Sliphorn
Pedal Pusher

"Tenor & Bass, Jazz & Classical"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2017, 07:26AM »

Those K&M 14990s are nice.  I really like the Aida, too. 

chipolah

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 10:50AM »

I have a K&M 14990 and I like it. But...  I now have a Wessex trombone stand and it is much sturdier than the K&M. It is far better for a bass trombone.  It is based on a cymbal stand bottom and a trombone stand top. It is not expensive.

Holton TR-100 / Bach 6-1/2A
Wessex Trombone Consultant
www.chiphoehler.com
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 11:44AM »

I have a K&M 14990 and I like it. But...  I now have a Wessex trombone stand and it is much sturdier than the K&M. It is far better for a bass trombone.  It is based on a cymbal stand bottom and a trombone stand top. It is not expensive.
This guy?

http://www.wessex-tubas.com/shop/accessories/stands/trombone-stand/

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
bonenick

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2017, 11:49AM »

does the wessex tuba company have a dealr in Turkey or Bulgaria?
chipolah

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2017, 02:09PM »

Yes...  That's the one.  It's more heavy-duty than the K&M stand.  The legs will open up more than the photo and the top is adjustable.  The stand is chrome.

Wessex does not have a dealer in Bulgaria or in any of the Balkan countries.  Wessex sells on line instead of through dealers to keep the prices down.

www.chiphoehler.com
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2017, 02:22PM »

Yes...  That's the one.  It's more heavy-duty than the K&M stand.  The legs will open up more than the photo and the top is adjustable.  The stand is chrome.

Wessex does not have a dealer in Bulgaria or in any of the Balkan countries.  Wessex sells on line instead of through dealers to keep the prices down.

Good deal I'll order one tonight. I ran over my k and m stand and it hasn't been the same since!!

crazytrombonist505

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2017, 02:24PM »

I ran over my k and m stand and it hasn't been the same since!!
Amazed
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2017, 03:01PM »

I did a web search for that stand...nothing under $100, about $80 of which was shipping from China.

Am I missing something?

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
bonenick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2017, 03:26PM »

I did a web search for that stand...nothing under $100, about $80 of which was shipping from China.

Am I missing something?

S.

IMHO, They don't quite the feel the need to expand the network and can't be bothered for the moment - which is normal, they seem to be a relatively new brand (at least to my knowledge).
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2017, 04:01PM »

Ouch, yeah I didn't see the shipping. If you can figure out a way to get it to my door for no more than the cost of the stand itself I'll definitely give it a shot!!

chipolah

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2017, 01:59AM »

OK...  We have the stand in stock in England.  The price of the stand including shipping to the US will be around $40, give or take $1 or $2 either way, because I don't know the exact shipping cost.I'll find that out in a day or two. If you are interested, contact me directly and I'll take care of it for you.  chipolah@earthlink.net

www.chiphoehler.com
bonenick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2017, 03:17AM »

OK...  We have the stand in stock in England.  The price of the stand including shipping to the US will be around $40, give or take $1 or $2 either way, because I don't know the exact shipping cost.I'll find that out in a day or two. If you are interested, contact me directly and I'll take care of it for you.  chipolah@earthlink.net

How about shipping to Turkey? Is it about the same?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: