Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1063611 Posts in 70698 Topics- by 18586 Members - Latest Member: THERIVERSIDEHOTBAND
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Suggestions on trombone stands?  (Read 5218 times)
playingstudentfor7years

View Profile
« on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:31PM »

Looking to buy an instrument stand for my trombone, any suggestions? What do you use, what should I look for in a product?
The Sackbutist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:59PM »

NOT Hercules. I've had a bad experience with the in bell storage type. Destroyed a slide when one of the springs gave out and it tipped over.
Matt K

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2015, 04:06PM »

The best are the K&m 14990. Hands down in my opinion. Ha,il ton are also good.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
hyperbolica

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2015, 04:11PM »

I like this one http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-8070-kampm-trombone-stand.aspx

Some people like the heavier duty one, but it has too many sharp edges to dent the ends of slides. Plus, this one is lighter and easier to deploy.

I don't like the cheaper On-Stage Stands version because the main tightening mechanism doesn't work well on the ones I have. Plus, they have a spring under the bell cup which just makes things less stable. Removing it isn't as easy as just buying a better stand in the first place.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:21PM »

Don't buy the K&M In-bell stand either.

I use the K&M that looks like a Hamilton on steroids (not the one mentioned above).  You can even use a Hamilton if you are careful.  One thing I do is to make sure the slide parks over one of the feet.  That's the most stable place.  The least stable is midway between two feet.

I know one guy with the Hercules that holds the horn by the slide grip.  Works OK for him.  It has the advantage that you can put a horn on it that has a mute in the bell.

There is a home-brew from Newell Sheridan that uses a cymbal stand lower part and it's VERY stable.  And heavy.  But a good stand.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:27AM »

This.

Second choice is a distant second choice.

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.tommattabigband.com
MattR1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:56AM »

+1 for one of these. I posted in another thread recently about these. I have a few which I use for alto to bass. Very well built and sturdy

Weril Gagliardi II Alto Doug Elliott LT103, C+, D3
Rath R3 Doug Elliott LT103, D/D3, F/F3
Rath R4F LT103,  G+, G8
Holton TR181 Bass Doug Elliott SB108, J, J8
Cerveny Eb Tuba Bach 24AW
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:01AM »

I've used the same Hamilton stand for the last 35+ years and it's never let me down. It's the old type that when put up the arms lay flat, horizontal with the ground. It's probably not the most stable available, but suits me fine. The old ones are also, in my opinion, the classiest looking stands around...........
Jox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:45AM »

I like the one sold by Newell Sheridan. They're great for bass

Xavier Gonzalez
BME- Stetson University
MM- University of Florida
Bach 50BG Greenhoe- Doug Elliot MB109 J-8
Selmer Bolero- Conn Goldtone
bobroden

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:20PM »

I vote also for the K&M 14990.  I have two of them and they're very solid and well built.  They cost a little more than some but will last forever.
Rath.of.Conn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:43PM »

Another vote for the K&M 14990. Spend enough time fiddling with the two adjustment points (shaft and bell plug) after you get it so that they're set just right: the shaft should be far enough up the bell to really prevent it from wiggling, but not so far that it bears the weight of the horn. Then indicate those points on the stand somehow (I use a couple small marks from shiny-paint pens - silver for one horn and gold for another) so that if you need to collapse it for travel you can easily re-set it.

The only thing I don't recommend the K&M - or any in-bell stand of its type - for is longer-term storage (i.e. more than a day or two). Remember that the horn's center of gravity is going to be offset from the central axis of the stand, so over time there's a subtle bending force on the bell section. That's actually the one thing the Hercules stand is good for (other than the ability to keep mutes in) - the weight is borne by the slide braces and is fairly well-centered over the stand.
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2015, 05:51PM »

The 14990 is great.

--Bach 50B (1966), Bach MV 2G
Tree1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2015, 11:27AM »

My mainline trombone stand from Amazon has worked well for my tenor f attachment and now my bass. I keep the slide 6" off the floor. Yes it leans a tad so had to adjust for the difference and replace it the same way each time. All tightens well and is both lightweight and sturdy. I place a long sock over the adjustable height cone. Shipping weight is almost a pound heavier than the K&M.
Leanit
Load of bollox

"How hard could it be?"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2015, 03:37PM »

I've always preferred the Hamilton to the K&M because the Hamilton's legs will sit flat on the floor. Less for somebody trip over on the bandstand.

"Only one moving part? Easy! Give me that!" - me in 5th grade
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:36PM »

I've always preferred the Hamilton to the K&M because the Hamilton's legs will sit flat on the floor. Less for somebody trip over on the bandstand.

Does that depend on the vintage of the Hamilton stand?  I have a very old one (50+ years) that will sit flat on the floor.  But I think recent ones may not be able to do that.

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
pineapple707

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:51PM »

Does that depend on the vintage of the Hamilton stand?  I have a very old one (50+ years) that will sit flat on the floor.  But I think recent ones may not be able to do that.

I have a Hamilton KB510 sitting in my office and the legs do not lay flat, nor is it as sturdy as the Hamilton stands of old. I purchased about a month ago on amazon for a student and ended up giving her one of my old spare stands instead because I did not trust the stand for my own use and especially not on carpet. 

If you are on a budget, look at the offerings from "On Stage Stands". I have seen a few people with their $17 trombone stand and IMO it seems much safer than the new Hamilton.

The other downside to the new Hamilton is that the adjustments to the part the bell sits on require the use of an allen key, where the K&M and On Stage Stands have knobs. If you play multiple horns like I do, having to keep an allen key around is a pain. The K&M 14990 is expensive but worth every penny.
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:34PM »

The K&M 14990 is expensive but worth every penny.

+1

It always amuses (?) me to see a player with a $5000 trombone who doesn't buy this sturdy $60-70 stand to help protect it.

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
Tree1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2015, 07:22AM »

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been looking for a $100-200 stand to replace my $15.00 stand. They're hard to find so they must be better.
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2015, 09:08AM »

I don't have experience with $100-$200 stands so I can't comment.

But the K&M 14990 that I got from Hornguys for $70 is worth every penny.  I am about to order a second one. 

--Bach 50B (1966), Bach MV 2G
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2015, 10:24AM »

Only the old ones' legs will sit flat on the floor. The new ones are not the same. If you have an old one keep it and look after it, they are much better than the new version.....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: