Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1069603 Posts in 70984 Topics- by 18771 Members - Latest Member: schaarea
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brass Band Woes  (Read 10675 times)
eightyeightH

View Profile
« on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:48AM »

Well, after my band's success at Butlins, off we went to the area championships. 2 hour rehearsals every night in the week leading up to it, recording made at each rehearsal, and the run-through on Friday night was a cracker  :D .

The contest performance was a chuffing disaster >:(. Cornets out of tune Don't know, players forgot to mute Amazed and the percussion section got lost Bad dog.  No Biscuits.. Thoroughly depressing. We came 13th/18.  :cry:

Only one consolation - and that was 4barsrest.com's tweet:

https://twitter.com/4barsrest/status/574214813699670016

#regs2015 Mid 3: Trombones are the shining light for Stamford. Nice rounded sound as a section. Well done Trombones!

To cap it off, our local rivals got promoted.

The definition of a gentleman: Someone who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't.
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2015, 03:50AM »

Have a word with your GP. He can prescribe something for severe depression but it might not be strong enough for a case like this. Evil

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
elev8

"Jazz flute is for little fairy boys..."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:13AM »

We've all been there. Part and parcel of banding unfortunately.
Incredibly disappointing nevertheless, given the number of man-hours prep work that goes in to playing at Areas.
All you can really do is try & learn the lessons for next year.  Clever
Sounds to me like having focused strongly on mastering the piece, perhaps next time try to somehow work on "delivering on the day".
Much more difficult to tackle.

Hopefully I won't be adding a similarly toned post to this thread on Monday, as it's WoE areas this weekend for me!
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2015, 07:17AM »

My sincere advice is to take every
Posh Spice" themed football chant and re-word it to belittle your rivals.

It will make you feel better!
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:34PM »

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Such a disappointment after so much hard work, but as previously mentioned, it's a familiar situation for every contesting bander from some time or other.

The stage fright of contests doesn't half get to some people, just silly things like forgetting a repeat can cause chaos.  You can't comprehend how someone can get lost in a piece that's been so well rehearsed, but I've seen it happen enough times.

We're off to sunny Torquay on Saturday to face our doom. Relegation is almost certain, having come last in the previous two Areas, but our new MD has gelled really well with the band and we're all enjoying the piece. Spirits are surprisingly high.
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2015, 05:08AM »

Saturday was a beautiful day.  We were drawn 4th to play, and felt we'd given a really good performance.  The 4BR and Bandsman comments were positive, which makes a change, and our 'ears' in the auditorium were giving the thumbs up and enormous smiles.  Feedback from various sources was expecting us to get into the top half of the results. 
Sadly it was not to be, we were placed 14th out of 15.  I hope it's warm and cosy in the 3rd section, as we're being relegated.  :cry:

The most irritating things was the adjudicator's notes.  The pair of them appeared to be listening to two different bands, they directly contradicted each other in several places, so we're left with no clear idea of what they were looking for and how we failed their expectations.  Gah. 

Despite all that it was a really enjoyable day, I had a great time with my bandmates, and met some delightful new people.  I have now recovered from the hangover.  :D
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:33AM »

I have now recovered from the hangover.  :D

:-0 Already  Eeek!

Commiserations.  :(

Cheers

Stewbones

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:38AM »

:( :( :(

Welcome to the 3rds  Hi

It's not that bad, really.

And I know a great cure for hangovers.

The definition of a gentleman: Someone who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't.
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2015, 10:39AM »

Thanks chaps.  I'm sure it'll be lovely in the third section with such good company.  :)

Top tips for hangover cures will be very welcome, so I'll have time to test them all out before the next contest. Good!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2015, 10:48AM »

The cure for hangover is supposed to be hair of the dog that bit you.  I have two dogs and a lot of hair.  Guess I'm not going to have much hangover. ;-)

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
elev8

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:44AM »

The most irritating things was the adjudicator's notes.  The pair of them appeared to be listening to two different bands, they directly contradicted each other in several places, so we're left with no clear idea of what they were looking for and how we failed their expectations.  Gah. 

Who were your A Judy cators, if you don't mind my asking?
MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2015, 06:31AM »

If I might plug a website I have quite a bit to do with:
http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/west-of-england-area-second-section/2015-03-14/

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2015, 07:28AM »

Our adjudicators were Roger Webster and David Hirst.

That's a great website Dave, I will spend a bit more time browsing it when I've got some spare time, or I won't get any work done this afternoon.
Max Croot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:05PM »

Hi.I've been in similar situations. Maybe too much rehearsing and by the time you get to the contest the band is tired of it and the actual performance is a let down. Every body loves a winner, Lets hear it for those unsung heroes, The Losers. Max.

Bass Clef
elev8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2015, 02:55AM »

Well, my band were most definitely losers lol.
Sadly I must shoulder a lot of the blame, I had an absolute shocker. Just did not perform on the day.
Overdid it in rehearsals in the lead-up I think. Went on the stand with swollen sore lips before even blowing a note.
Started badly, nerves kicked in, and we were halfway through the piece before I recovered any sort of composure.
Definitely a bad day at the office. One of my worst ever.

I asked about the adjudicators, because we also had Roger & David and their comments on our performance were both insightful, constructive & extremely fair.
MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:30AM »

Sorry to hear people's area results haven't gone as wanted here yet. I'll do my best to help break that streak on Sunday in Stevenage - fingers crossed! Funny old piece "The Torchbearer" - not hard to get to 90%, but really hard to get much further. Has made for some unexpected results in other areas.

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
elev8

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2015, 04:44AM »

Best of luck Dave. And a very fair assessment, if I may say so.
I actually really enjoyed working on The Torchbearer and thought it was a very thorough test right across the band.
Brought home starkly to me that after a long lay-off from serious contesting my issues are with delivery, as opposed to technical mastery of the music. That's encouraging in a way as it's something which can be worked on (I've started already).
I'd have been far more dispirited if I'd played my best on the day but not been able to get near the piece.
As it stands I know the performance is in there, I just need to pull it off when it counts.
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2015, 09:43AM »

Oh dear elev8, I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped.
It's a frustrating thought that you can play badly because of too much practice, just as easily as with too little.
Was it just you that overdid it, or was the whole band fatigued in the same way?

I'd like to wish Dave the very best of luck, have a great day tomorrow and show us all how it's done!
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2015, 07:41PM »

For those of us on this side of the pond, would someone please explain how this whole "relegation" thing works? It sounds a bit like the British soccer league, which I don't understand either.
eightyeightH

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:41AM »

For those of us on this side of the pond, would someone please explain how this whole "relegation" thing works? It sounds a bit like the British soccer league, which I don't understand either.

5 sections: Championship,1st, 2nd 3rd 4th.

Regional championships held every year. Scores from the last 3 years added. 1 pt for 1st 5 pts for 5th etc. top 2 go up, bottom 2 go down.

Most of the time you might as well roll dice.

http://mabbc.org/

Should give you an idea of how it works.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: