Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087133 Posts in 71988 Topics- by 19235 Members - Latest Member: Grandpa Trashville
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brass Band Woes  (Read 12115 times)
MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Mar 23, 2017, 02:37AM »

No I don't know Bill Giles.  I've been out of it since 1995 and only got a trombone again (a bass one) last June and have been playing with the Open Orchestra since September.

I used to play with Broxburn but I see they are now Broxburn & Livingston.

Ronnie

I thought everybody around Edinburgh with links to Scottish banding in the last 40 years knew Bill Giles!

Broxburn & Livi are the result of a 2004 merger of Broxburn Public and Livingston bands. I don't know what the circumstances of the merger were.
Broxburn Silver appear to still be going independently, but as a non-contesting group for the last decade or so.

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
ronnies

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Mar 23, 2017, 03:45AM »

I thought everybody around Edinburgh with links to Scottish banding in the last 40 years knew Bill Giles!

Broxburn & Livi are the result of a 2004 merger of Broxburn Public and Livingston bands. I don't know what the circumstances of the merger were.
Broxburn Silver appear to still be going independently, but as a non-contesting group for the last decade or so.

I was involved with Broxburn Public from about 1978 to the mid 80s and then briefly in 1994 (for the British finals) and 1995.

Honestly I have no idea who Bill Giles is.  I was never very much into the banding community though.

Ronnie

--
Slowly getting back into it...
Roscotrombone

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Mar 23, 2017, 10:17AM »

No I don't know Bill Giles.  I've been out of it since 1995 and only got a trombone again (a bass one) last June and have been playing with the Open Orchestra since September.

I used to play with Broxburn but I see they are now Broxburn & Livingston.

Ronnie

Bill Giles is involved in everything around Edinburgh & parts of Fife and is out most nights playing in orchestras/brass bands/big band...you name it so I'm surprised you haven't come across him even back in the day.

He runs a trombone group which meets once a month in Heriots private school if you fancy coming along for a blow sometime Ronnie. There are usually about 8 or 9 of us and we just play a few pieces. It's good fun with no pressure.

The next one is on the 28th but I can't make it but if it's something you fancy then send me a PM and we can swap details.

Ross

Trombones are for life,not just for Christmas
ronnies

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Mar 23, 2017, 11:25AM »

Bill Giles is involved in everything around Edinburgh & parts of Fife and is out most nights playing in orchestras/brass bands/big band...you name it so I'm surprised you haven't come across him even back in the day.

He runs a trombone group which meets once a month in Heriots private school if you fancy coming along for a blow sometime Ronnie. There are usually about 8 or 9 of us and we just play a few pieces. It's good fun with no pressure.

The next one is on the 28th but I can't make it but if it's something you fancy then send me a PM and we can swap details.

Ross

Thanks, Ross.  Sounds like fun.  I'll maybe take you up on that but I can't make the 28th either.

Ronnie

--
Slowly getting back into it...
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Apr 29, 2017, 06:50AM »

Question for you Brass Banders (as I sit here listening/watching the European Championships):

When you put out 4 trombones, what parts are they playing?  Solo/1st/2nd/bass?  2x1st/2nd/bass?  1st/2x2nd/bass? 1st/2nd/3rd/bass?

I'm also kicking myself for needing sleep.  Missed the Cory Band performance.  Hear they are the guys to beat.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
cozzagiorgi
Schnädäräbänz!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Apr 29, 2017, 08:08AM »

Certainly 2xsecond trombone.

I think the Norwegians will be hard to beat today.

I'm to bad to be a pro...
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: Apr 29, 2017, 08:17AM »

Depends on the band and the music. Sometimes the first part gets divided. This was often the case in some newer Salvation Army pieces.

Rarely would a band have 2 bass trombones in a section of 4 or 5. It would be the same as 2 Eb sopranos - which is never good.

And the Norwegians are in a class by themselves. On my last trip to Bergen, I wangled an invitation to a rehearsal of the Eikanger band. Wow!

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno bass (both played regularly) , '74 Bach 42B, Yamaha 322 bass
MoominDave

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Apr 29, 2017, 09:23AM »

The usual Salvation Army arrangement is a divisi first part for two players. But often the ideal in that setting is for there to be various players surplus to the basic set-up. The reasons for this are a bit different.

It's interesting to see bands in the European championships start to evolve the contesting format from the statis that it's occupied for more than 100 years. The pieces they are having written to play at the contest tend to depend on making the most enormous sounds, and, without the usual player restriction, it's common for the more heavily physically taxing parts to have an extra player drafted in to offer extra firepower. Soprano cornet, solo cornet, basses - these often have an extra body or two at this contest. I hadn't heard of trombones being treated similarly, but it makes some sense.

Dave Taylor

(me, not the other one)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Apr 29, 2017, 04:20PM »

So I guess Eikanger won.  Had to leave for a session before the end of today's performances.  They certainly sounded good on the Test piece.

Dave, I even saw a couple of bands with 2 flugel players.  Mostly to bump up the solo flugel during loud passages.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: