Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066417 Posts in 70881 Topics- by 18685 Members - Latest Member: MattG1116
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Delfeayo Marsalis  (Read 4754 times)
louilou

"Music, the fantastic universal language."

View Profile
« on: Apr 24, 2015, 03:49PM »

I really like the way he plays and he has a great talent in producing
great recordings

His last three records as a leader are extremely good!

"The Fellowship of the Slide- I second that!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2015, 03:57PM »

You should find the video of him putting down DJ at one of the Eastern Trombone Workshops ;-)

The entire Marsalis clan are great musicians -- Daddy Ellis and all his boys.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
r4mos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2015, 04:32PM »

He came to town a while ago and held an interactive masterclass type thing about improv. It started out with everyone in this small theater and he played in a combo with some members of a youth jazz program. He then talked a bit about what makes improv good and invited everyone who had an instrument to come down to the stage and circle around the combo. They set down a blues and everyone standing around took a chorus. After your solo he would come up to you and give you a fistbump or something.

Awesome guy, awesome player, and judging by the event I was at he definitely remembers his roots. Also he signed my Realbook which makes me feel obligated to practice more jazz haha!

'78 Corporation 42G - Greg Black NY 3M
'37 King 2B (FOR SALE) - Benge 12C
Doodle92
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2015, 11:56AM »

I'm sure he is a nice enough guy buy I distinctly remember reading an article in ITA where he seemed to have no problem bashing a few players that he didn't like because of their tendency to play soft and in the mike. I remember at the time it through me off because what he said was so mean spirited, something to the effect of "that style and all of the players involved are a disease". I don't really care much for Delfayos style myself but I wouldn't presume to say something like that.
francischap

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2015, 01:05PM »

I'd like a link to the article and the video - can't find either...
JeKohl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2015, 05:21PM »

I met him a couple years ago!  Great player and he was nice enough to let me pick his brain for a bit.
baileyman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2015, 06:25AM »

It seems after studying with Hal Crook, probably on improv, he improved dramatically.  And he's gotten a really decent doodle tongue going. 

Max Acree

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:21AM »

It seems after studying with Hal Crook, probably on improv, he improved dramatically.  And he's gotten a really decent doodle tongue going. 

I asked Hal about Delfayo one time and he didn't really seem to remember much or have much to say. He commented to me that he thinks Delfayo came by his studio and took maybe 1 or 2 lessons in the distant past. I dont think he was a mainstay or one of his students at Berklee. The thing is that lots of people have "studied" with Hal but few have STUDIED with him. I think Delfayo was probably listed as one of Hal's students more as a attention grabber than anything, since it is technically right and it adds to his "legend" as he says. Fact is, anyone can go out to his studio and pay him to take lessons. His small group ensembles at Berklee though, which I was lucky enough to be in for 3 semesters, are ridiculously exclusive and at any given time have 3 or 4 of the best student improvisers in the world, I would wager. These are the people in my eyes that really are around Hal long enough to be able to absorb his concepts and style. Cats like Elliot Mason, Esperanza and Antonio Sanchez.
zemry

"Steve Turre and myself in the French Quarter"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:06PM »

You should find the video of him putting down DJ at one of the Eastern Trombone Workshops ;-)

The entire Marsalis clan are great musicians -- Daddy Ellis and all his boys.

I was standing next to DJ when this happened. It was a hoot!

There won't come a time when you won't have to practice anymore.........J.J. Johnson

Richard Zemry Johnson, Jr.
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:40PM »

Zemry's back. :)
Pteranabone

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2017, 11:18PM »

I was fortunate to hear him live at a jazz club (Blues Alley in Georgetown).   It was a surprise, because It was billed as a "trombone summit" consisting of Al Grey, Steve Turre and Robin Eubanks. Delfeayo must have been a last-minute substitute for Robin.  Anyway, this was around 1999 or 2000 and I wasn't familiar with him, but had seen  his family members Ellis and Branford in live shows.     I thoroughly enjoyed his playing.  Still haven't had a chance to catch Robin live yet, though.
Bellend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:15PM »

This may seem harsh, but if this guy didn't have a famous brother would anyone be listening this closely ???..............   Really ???

BellEnd
bonenick

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:31PM »

To be honest, I like more Brandford and Wynton, Wynton being probably the most remarkable of all.
Delfayo is a good musician but can hardly compare to lets say...Wyclife Gordon for example.
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2017, 05:15PM »

This may seem harsh, but if this guy didn't have a famous brother would anyone be listening this closely ???..............   Really ???

Who knows... most of the trombonists I would consider exceptional wouldn't merit a sideways glance with many of the neanderthals that lurk this site. We've had arguments about whether JJ earned his legendary status on here so I don't think anyone should put too much stock in anyone's opinion just because it appears on TTF.

I like the guy. He has pretty strong opinions which either endear or enrage people, but he's a good guy.

Regardless of what you think of his playing, his writing is top notch. The album "Pontius Pilate's Decision" was killing. It was a huge influence on me. That album alone gives him special status in my book.

He engineered a lot of those Wynton and Branford albums in the 80's and 90's. Great sounding albums.

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:51AM »

Who knows... most of the trombonists I would consider exceptional wouldn't merit a sideways glance with many of the neanderthals that lurk this site. We've had arguments about whether JJ earned his legendary status on here so I don't think anyone should put too much stock in anyone's opinion just because it appears on TTF.

I like the guy. He has pretty strong opinions which either endear or enrage people, but he's a good guy.

Regardless of what you think of his playing, his writing is top notch. The album "Pontius Pilate's Decision" was killing. It was a huge influence on me. That album alone gives him special status in my book.

He engineered a lot of those Wynton and Branford albums in the 80's and 90's. Great sounding albums.

Zach and the Neanderthals

:D

...Geezer

Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2017, 08:00AM »

The Marsalis bros never seem to lack strong opinions.
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2017, 09:35AM »

I love that song!

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2017, 09:47AM »

I love that song!

Lol. I always have as well. I just love the 50's Beatnik manner of expression.

So as not to appear to be digressing from topic too far; seems to me that artists oftentimes play the music of their lives. So I'm wondering where the doo-wop, pop and other music of MY life is being performed on stage by present trombone artists - including the subject of this thread.

...Geezer

Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:06PM »

In the case of the Marsalis family "the music of their lives" would probably be jazz anyway. The reason I do not object to their expressing strong opinions is because their arguments are usually based on excellent knowledge of the early jazz styles and pioneers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnWt21HxMQ

I quite like Delfeayo's playing but the thing I find annoying is his introduction of passages that are only there to show off his technique and do not really contribute to the structure of the solo itself. What Baileyman called his "really decent doodle tongue" is a bit of an annoyance to me in some of his otherwise excellent solos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krg7MFgxJAM

I have to say I am a big fan of the Marsalis brothers and their involvement with the promotion of jazz generally. Ellis is sensational and you never hear one note out of place in his wonderfully structured solos which always enthral me. And he listens to the other soloists and carefully places his comping to back them up.

Yep, good to see Zemry back! Good!

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:39PM »

In the case of the Marsalis family "the music of their lives" would probably be jazz anyway. The reason I do not object to their expressing strong opinions is because their arguments are usually based on excellent knowledge of the early jazz styles and pioneers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnWt21HxMQ

I quite like Delfeayo's playing but the thing I find annoying is his introduction of passages that are only there to show off his technique and do not really contribute to the structure of the solo itself. What Baileyman called his "really decent doodle tongue" is a bit of an annoyance to me in some of his otherwise excellent solos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krg7MFgxJAM

I have to say I am a big fan of the Marsalis brothers and their involvement with the promotion of jazz generally. Ellis is sensational and you never hear one note out of place in his wonderfully structured solos which always enthral me. And he listens to the other soloists and carefully places his comping to back them up.

Yep, good to see Zemry back! Good!

I agree. But why does that seem to always mean songs of the 40's & 50's? Why not more current songs - "Uptown Funk", "Dream On", etc. Why can't they be "jazz" as well? Did jazz stop evolving when it hit tunes in the 40's & 50's? Apparently...

...Geezer

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: