Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092575 Posts in 72179 Topics- by 19440 Members - Latest Member: drater421
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How to tell how thick a bell is  (Read 2783 times)
SethMatrix

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:32PM »

How can you check how thick a bell is?

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:49PM »

Ask it some hard questions  Eeek! Eeek! Evil Evil

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:46PM »

Well, there you go!  :D

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Bach 50B2, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Bach 42BG, ditto
Conn 6H, Yamaha 48
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
marccromme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 01:47PM »

Using a thikness gauge, kind of millimeter caliber with an extendend arm. Something like this:

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/metal-sheet-thickness-measure.html

http://www.mercateo.com/kw/dickenmessger%28e4%29t/dickenmessgeraet.html?switchToCountry=de&chooseGeo=true

There are gauges specially made for brass bells, with long and curved arms, those are very expensive. I have no idea where to get them - maybe Böhm in Germany or Ferrets in the US?

Sliphorn
Pedal Pusher

"Tenor & Bass, Jazz & Classical"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:58PM »

I imagine a decent set of digital calipers would do the trick.

boneagain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 02:54PM »

I imagine a decent set of digital calipers would do the trick.

Not really.  You need to first reach around the bell wire.  After that, to get the correct measurement you need to be perpendicular to the tangent at the measured point of the bell curve, AND have clearance over the rest of the curve.

I like Chris' response best :)

Dave Adams
Staunch admirer of all who still make a living at this!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 02:57PM »

Digital calipers won't work.  The bell rim gets in the way.

You have a problem trying to measure bell thickness.  You have a layer of lacquer or plating on top of the brass that must be compensated for.

You could probably use a 0-1.000" (0-25 mm) micrometer since you can put the measuring part past the bell rim.  Still, you need to figure out how thick the lacquer coat is and remove that.  Or you could scrape off the lacquer where you want to do the measurement if you don't mind the spot on the bell (not recommended!).

I think you might be able to use a caliper if you create a gauge block: take a piece of metal that is thicker than the bell rim and small enough to lay flat against the bell.  Measure with the digital caliper.  Now place the gauge block inside the bell rim and measure the bell and gauge block.  Subtract the value of the gauge block from your result.  Nowhere near as convenient as a micrometer.

You will then need to find a conversion chart from thickness to metal gauge.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 03:10PM »

Using a thikness gauge, kind of millimeter caliber with an extendend arm. Something like this: http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/metal-sheet-thickness-measure.html
http://www.mercateo.com/kw/dickenmessger%28e4%29t/dickenmessgeraet.html?switchToCountry=de&chooseGeo=true
There are gauges specially made for brass bells, with long and curved arms, those are very expensive. I have no idea where to get them - maybe Böhm in Germany or Ferrets in the US?
Not having the speciality tool you could place a small block, having enough height to allow you're micrometer to clear the rim, on the outside of the bell and measure the thickness of block + bell then subtract the block thickness to get the bell thickness. This make do would be less accurate but might get the data you need.

Duff
Seola Creek
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 04:19PM »

Double ball end micrometer. Here is a closeup of the jaws:

Of course, this only works close to the rim, and doesn't allow for lacquer thickness.

I use a single ball end micrometer for measuring slide wall thickness so I can calculate bore size.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
SethMatrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 07:29PM »

Not down to exact millimeters, just through tapping it I guess? I heard you can tap it and the sound it makes can tell you how thick it is?

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:58PM »

Not down to exact millimeters, just through tapping it I guess? I heard you can tap it and the sound it makes can tell you how thick it is?
If you have years of experience, maybe - but there are many other variables that go into the "ring" of a bell when it's plunked. I could see someone like Steve Shires having a feel for how HIS bells should sound when he's done spinning them, and maybe even later in the manufacturing process.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 10:05PM »

The difference between thickest and thinnest is probably only about a millimeter anyway.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
simso

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 04:01AM »

Calipers or verniers, like brake verniers are perfect, you could also use a thickness measurement machine like an elcometer or similar

What is it your trying to work out, or just curious

Steve
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 04:40AM »

The difference between thickest and thinnest is probably only about a millimeter anyway.

Far less, actually. The design space for thickness is very narrow. With actual measurements, the difference between thickest and thinnest was about 0.010", or about .25mm.

Tapping? Ha. Even if a person with a lot of experience and skill thinks they can tell thickness that way, I'd bet real money that they can't find one out of five repeatedly. Now, that isn't to say that they can't gage something far more important than thickness. Thickness may not be the most critical variable, particularly when comparing different manufacturers.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 05:26AM »

With underground storage tanks we measured thickness with an ultrasonic gauge. 

(You need to know if you have thin spots that might leak.) 

http://www.amazon.com/Flexbar-15945-Ultrasonic-Thickness-Gauge/dp/B001CTJP04#product-description-iframe

Tim Richardson
Bruce the budgie

"A burp is not a grace note."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 05:52AM »

In the fiddle business, nonferrous plates (spruce and maple) a few millimeters thick can be measured nondestructively with a magnet/spring arrangement, to a precision of a tenth of a mm or so, IIRC. Search for Hacklinger. I don't know if anything similar exists for brass or bronze in gauges appropriate for bone bells.

Around string instruments, tap tones are very useful. They don't tell us a lot about thickness itself, but more about balancing various parts to each other, and finding subtle discontinuities in vibrating structures. Tapping is also a quick way to find weak joints. Oddly enough, a cold hide-glue joint works (or doesn't) a bit like a cold solder joint.
SethMatrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 06:01AM »

Calipers or verniers, like brake verniers are perfect, you could also use a thickness measurement machine like an elcometer or similar

What is it your trying to work out, or just curious

Steve
I just wanted to find out how thick this Bach 50 bell is, the horn itself is quite light, but it doesn't get too nasty in the loud dynamics.

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 06:43AM »

In the fiddle business, nonferrous plates (spruce and maple) a few millimeters thick can be measured nondestructively with a magnet/spring arrangement, to a precision of a tenth of a mm or so, IIRC. Search for Hacklinger. I don't know if anything similar exists for brass or bronze in gauges appropriate for bone bells.

Around string instruments, tap tones are very useful. They don't tell us a lot about thickness itself, but more about balancing various parts to each other, and finding subtle discontinuities in vibrating structures. Tapping is also a quick way to find weak joints. Oddly enough, a cold hide-glue joint works (or doesn't) a bit like a cold solder joint.
A tenth of a millimeter is the difference between a heavyweight bell and a lightweight bell in some manufacturers.  It really is that small of a difference.

For the second part, yes this is very important.  Tapping is a great way to find cracks or incomplete joints.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 08:55AM »

>Elcometer:

An Elcometer would be good for measuring the thickness of the lacquer, but not of much use for the thickness of the brass.  Not too many folks own one (although I happen to, used it to measure solder mask thickness).

For Seth, if there is a metal shop in his school he might want to ask the teacher to use a micrometer on his bell.  Buying a micrometer, especially a good one, for this single measurement is a great waste of money.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 09:21AM »

keep in mind that especially on a one-piece bell, the thickness may vary considerably from the end where you'd be able to measure  to further down at the throat and stem of the bell.

--
Barry
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: