Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087406 Posts in 72027 Topics- by 19247 Members - Latest Member: jasonsato1
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Andreas Eastman ETB310  (Read 2454 times)
Stubbs

View Profile
« on: Jul 10, 2015, 08:44AM »

Is this a decent horn?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2015, 10:50AM »

For what purpose?

As a student horn?  Yes.
As a conservatory level horn?  No.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Stubbs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2015, 12:59PM »

I am returning to playing after a very, very long time. I want so much to start again, but don't want the big outlay of cash.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2015, 01:06PM »

You might easily be able to get something used that is a better quality horn for what you would pay for a new Andreas Eastman.

Check out Dillon Music, Hornguys (Ferguson Music) or Forum Member DJ Kennedy (who has a house full -- literally -- of used playable if not pretty horns all at good prices).

If you are really considering new, look at Mack Brass, Wessex Tubas, and JP-Rath.

But I wouldn't reject the Eastman outright.

Bruce Guttman
Stubbs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2015, 01:08PM »

Excellent condition - might be able to pick this one up for less than $100
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2015, 01:13PM »

For less than $100 and in playable condition it's fine.  Give you anywhere from 2 years to infinity (depending on what you plan to do).

Bruce Guttman
td2bsosweet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2015, 02:41PM »

Mark....I have a ETB-310, it is ok....best I can say...I bought one as a adult returner on a can't pass price, a demo new cond. less than 100 bucks incl. shipping and for that it is great....I still keep it on a stand in my practice room because it is so light(compared to b7 and my b88)  so makes for a good practice horn and marcher....but it is a definite student quality...cream and water quiet it down but in student fashion for maybe 45 min. then it gets a little noisy BUT not unusable..a squirt and its ok... but  reminds you what you are playing...a young fellow in the community band I am in has a prelude tb-711 and it is like its clone...they run 400 or so new(preludes) so if you get a mint one cheap like 100 its ok . i guess being a cousin to a prelude isn't bragging rights i would rather say it is like a 3b , but it isn't...but it is better than a ISO ..You are better off (in my h/o)with a jupiter 432..(no i'm not selling one,,lol)but a new cond one just sold on ebay for 150.00 and they run ridiculously at 1000.00 or so new...but if a 310 pops up on a steal ,like mine did, its not that bad as a practice horn , a starter or returner, but like all student horns you will yearn for better if you stick with playing..but they resale so low and play ok it is a good one to hold onto(even as a backup or marcher), hence you do not see them for sale to often...hope that helps .
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2015, 08:22PM by td2bsosweet » Logged
Stubbs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2015, 05:42PM »

Thanks so much to all for the input and information. I know that I will want better once I get my chops back! I guess it's just that I want to play again so badly. 
td2bsosweet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2015, 07:24PM »

No Problem Mark, I like you, was a adult returner after a long layoff and also like you couldn't wait to get back into it. You are smart asking here , I didn't find this forum until after I started up again. I still hold that the 310 is not bad as a average student horn that can be had on the cheap. Like Bruce said you may want to PM DJ. He helps out alot of guys and may be able to meet your budget with a horn you can fit into longer term..worth asking...There are many threads on here in regards to best starters..If you have some time to seek out other possibilities,higher regarded student horns are King 606, Yamaha 354,Conn Director(18H) and Olds Ambassadors as well as Reynolds Medalist(Olds and Reynolds will be older but manufactured when workers cared!). I would avoid Blessing and Bach students( paying for name. I believe their students are chinese horns ,but not sure)and if you go chinese Jupiters (taiwan)are good (332 and 432 are 500 bore students)...These all become available cheaply if you have time to wait for the right one. Just trying to give you a few model#s (to research)that may help you more as a longer serving horn for maybe just a few bucks more.Good luck
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2015, 05:55AM »

thanks  for the   recommendation
      -----
stubbs has been  sending me  pm  and asking for  pics 

meanwhile i shipped  a holton 63  101 [508]   extra red flare    lt42go    72h bell  kanstul 1606 
     benge 190f 
  bruce smith came  monday all afternoon
  aaron chandler///acmetrombones  came thur   nite delivered  a bell  swap  36 trad  --no  w satin flare  -and potential  customer AMY COOPER 
            who has been waiting for months  messaged  found something locally
  meanwhile ///DRIVING PARK  Hi Hi --may or may not be  coming to studio today  Way cool Way cool Way cool
===============
  AND STUBBS   ASKS FOR  PICS --OF THE 100  OR SUB 100 BONES
==============
 so i  send  a bunch from   phone to his  email  :D :D :D
===============
also hit a nice looking  king  on eboo    for  cheep  Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT.  and  sent link 
 to mpscookn@aol.com as asked  by  stubbs  Good! Good! Good! Good!
==============
 SO LOOK STUBBS  IF YOU WANNA  BONE  FROM ME  OK
SHO ME THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
================ in the past  for many  many years   i  did bones  NO PICS  !!!!!!!!!!!  YES  NO  PICS  Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed
  HOW  MANY  SUB  100  BONES DO I HAVE ---AND YOU WANT PICS   OF ALL OF THEM I MENTIONED
rort /reynolds //besson pre 55//misc conn//king 605-606//olds
   -----------
MISTER STUBBS   --i really do apologize for  not having the  ability or even desire to take   the type of pics   my noble  competitiors  can create
 THE BRASS  EXCHANGE
 BRASS ARK
   DILLONS ---------THESE ARE PICS ????????????????????????

-------
 SO ABOUT PICS  ------i could take pics of a dead dog bone  and make it glamorous   -because i have been ripped off numerous times 
       EVEN WITH PICS 
-------------
 THERE is a certain degree of trust rrespect and reputation 
   in the small world of trombones    it is easy to  get a  sad bad  reputation AND hard to earn AND  maintain  a good reputation
==========
TIME SUCKERS -----------WASTE YOUR TIME W  BUNCHES OF  QUESTIONS ---never  buy  anything --BRET STEED --
                    SOME DO --KLEMEN REPE
INFO MINERS  ----------ask many  qqq  about gear  why where  --never  buy anything --or somewhere else
PUNKS  KIDS WANNA BEES ------always wnt something hard to find   that nobody has  and when they get it wanna trade it  for something good
RIP  VAN  WINKLES -wake up its 2015 -----GET REAL WITH THE  $$$$$$$$$$$$
LOOKING FOR CHEEP - great when  you find  6hs for  200    i will send you 5 and you can send me 2 ----JON BLONDELL
VISITING COLLEGE  BOYS  TO STUDIO -----sometimes like a tornado
THE BEST  visiting pros who can really really play  and tryout the extensive collection here
        MIKE DEASE //BRETT BARLOW// ZAC LEE //PAUL BELAVIEU///DR  RODNEY LANCASTER //DOUG BERT //DOUG ELLIOT//JEFF PETERSON
          DR  BOB CONGER //DR MILLER[VALVE]  //AARON CHANDLER //BRUCE SMITH //DR  BRENT WALLARAB//DR  TIM PITCHFORD
          and many many   more
--------------------
 I ALSO APOLOGIZE FOR DROPPING THE BALL  ON MANY MANY  DEALS  --forgetting spacing out
      not answering  pm em  chats phone calls --ship real fast  -not having everything esp inline bass bones for cheep
       i have made  many mistakes --i have sinned --i am not perfect 
   actually i  make money sometimes  //sometimes loose  /and have invested  much  of my resources  in trombones
============
  NOW THE  THING ABOUT   BUYING  CHEEP TROMBONES  ---------FROM ONE WHO HAS  AND CONTINUES  TO DO SO
      >:( >:( >:( >:( Amazed Amazed Amazed Don't know Don't know Don't know Pant Pant Pant Confused Confused Eeek! Eeek! Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Idea! Idea! Idea! :) :) :( :( :( :(IT  IS RISKY    RISKY  RISKY       BUYER BEWARE 
      FROM  UNSCRUPULOUS  SELLERS  -I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABT  -LIAR  ---  SLIDE MOVES  -HAH  -EARTH AROUND SUN
         NEEDS A LITTLE TLC  -YAH 250  FROM BRASS SHOP

-----ALL THIS and no coffee  yet  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but cats are fed
 stubbs if you  want that king i  just hit  ok  sho me the  $$$$$$$ASAP  w your address   paypal to my  em
  i recommend this one
 and  if you dont want it  will  stock it here
---------------

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Stubbs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2015, 06:03AM »

Thank you DJ. I appreciate your time and expertise. I will keep you posted as I am still on the hunt. I don't think the one you sent me a link on is for me. I thank you, however.
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2015, 07:37AM »

dj-

Please post pics of the glamorous dead dog. I- heh heh heh-- might have a thing for dead possums, and a dead dog might.....uh..... be just what I am looking for.

Money no object for glamorous dead dog pics.

Thanks.
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2015, 08:15AM »

[EXACTLY  --  thanks  now i  can do the pp for it
 ------------
 ok  so  here it  is
  if you are an adult  and have means or limited means
     I DO NOT RECOMMEND   buying  the cheepest  student  horn esp   chinese --bad resale  --iffy  quality
  I DO RECOMMEND   investing in a  good serviced  pro grade  horn  like  king  conn  bach--parts availability proven  playability -good resale
        your money  om a  pro horn  can usually be recouped   and it is more enjoyable to  play something  good
            because if you are restarting  --and stick it out on a junk  --later you are going to  want something better
-----------------------------
   i actually have  PRO HORNS --unknown -- forgotten --not  mainstream anymore -these are secret   treasures

-----------------------------
         but for you  at lowest price point --- a conn victor  6h  or  connquest [step up]--mostly under 500
      lo average prices      king  2b  450-5  and  a bit more $$$$$$$ for average    3b 600-----750 --usually needing serviced
------------------------------  
    get over being cheep  --get something  good -- if get it  from  trombone mafia --  small bell brotherhood //williams club
                                                        you become part of something
------------
 there are deals  --craigs list  yard sales  pawn shops
 ------------
 your time is worth  something  ?????????????????  maybe  not  ?????????????????
-----------
  so many time these  bums  ask me for el cheepos  for 50 bucks
    then later brag about  finding something for 359. 95   that i woulda sold for 2

Thank you DJ. I appreciate your time and expertise. I will keep you posted as I am still on the hunt. I don't think the one you sent me a link on is for me. I thank you, however.

<Edit: Fixed quote>
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2015, 10:43AM by BGuttman » Logged

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2015, 08:29AM »

Pant Pant Pant Pant
yamaha 354s  ---good used --good luck  !!!!!!!!!!!!
---------
 the olds are  great  some ambassadors  play  really good !!!!!
   my favorite is the special tu tone
        all the olds  inners are  chromed  nickle silver ---very very  durable  !!!!!!!! the later ambass w oval  logo  weight are fav  of  shout bands in carolinas
------------
  reynolds   emperor =ppro--the old clevelands   heavy  built solid  --cheep  //medalists  are step up
--------------
certain holtons  //bessons///martins //buescher  york//conn 20h etc
----------------
  some of the top players are still on the quest  for  just a bit better   blow  --the techs  custom  techs   are very helpful
-------------
 i am paying  quite a bit for hn white 3bs --even needingsome resto
----------------
     stubb   --he hard head --aint gonna listen to no body --go head  buy  some crapola  and pay 2 much stubb
            yo done been told= b  a bonehead  ---------- or find sometin  fantastic 4 a  bit-o-nothin
    but  yo betcha when u git ready to sell it //trade in  -o dats a diffrent story now
-------
i  buy cheep as i  can  and sell  hi  as i can  but sometimes  not so much
  repairs are what gits you on the cheepo deals
     so  paying more for better stuff is cheeper than spending dough  on fixing cheepos   

No Problem Mark, I like you, was a adult returner after a long layoff and also like you couldn't wait to get back into it. You are smart asking here , I didn't find this forum until after I started up again. I still hold that the 310 is not bad as a average student horn that can be had on the cheap. Like Bruce said you may want to PM DJ. He helps out alot of guys and may be able to meet your budget with a horn you can fit into longer term..worth asking...There are many threads on here in regards to best starters..If you have some time to seek out other possibilities,higher regarded student horns are King 606, Yamaha 354,Conn Director(18H) and Olds Ambassadors as well as Reynolds Medalist(Olds and Reynolds will be older but manufactured when workers cared!). I would avoid Blessing and Bach students( paying for name. I believe their students are chinese horns ,but not sure)and if you go chinese Jupiters (taiwan)are good (332 and 432 are 500 bore students)...These all become available cheaply if you have time to wait for the right one. Just trying to give you a few model#s (to research)that may help you more as a longer serving horn for maybe just a few bucks more.Good luck

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
Stubbs

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2015, 09:09AM »

DJKennedy - I hold your opinion and expertise in high regard. I am no longer interested in the Andreas and that is why I reached out to you to begin with. This was based on BGuttman's recommendation. I am not a bonehead other than the fact that if loving the playing of or listening to the Trombone makes me a bonehead than THAT is what I am.
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 18, 2015, 10:58AM »

Stubbs-

I've bought multiple used vintage trombones from dj and also hold him in the highest regard. Stubbs, what you are unfortunately missing here, on your 8th post, is the previous 15 years of internet blather where literally thousands of young players have asked dj to get something for nothing.
You're not a young player.
You're a returning player.

Anything written in haste here on TTF is a reflection of the unfortunate fact that there will continue to be unthinking and uneducated kids asking the impossible. For free.
There will be also another thousand kids asking for free advice as to where to find free mouthpieces --- since the kid is in high school-- and it's a lot easier to spend money on free advice here than seek lessons.

Go the the MOUTHPIECES forum here today. A kid in high school has gone thorough a half dozen extremely large professional quality mouthpiece WITHOUT lessons and is asking for free advice from professionals who would charge $150/hr for lessons.
What is the difference between that "student in high school" and the person attempting to answer their question?
The student has spent 30 minutes practicing in their life, the responder has played professionally for 30 years.
(And nobody has the b*lls to tell a kid here on TTF that it takes 4 to 6 hours a day for 5 years to get to the place where you can even begin to appreciate a mouthpiece the size of a Schilke 60. ( But, we all have rights......))

And, so, Stubbs, forgive us all if we get short with you. It is not YOU that the TTF is getting short with, it is the thousands of kids asking for free advice, or for something for nothing.

You're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2015, 03:26AM »

many roads
many paths
many  trombones
--------------------

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2015, 06:09AM »

Stubbs, if cheap is the most important parameter for getting a trombone, look to Goodwill, yard sales, and Craig's List.  Lots of cheapos either because the kid lost interest, or it was sitting in an attic, or whatever.

I know one guy who used to play a Pan American (the Conn student model of years ago).  He wasn't terribly good, but it was a trombone and he had it.  It beat the heck out of anything the Chinese made for cheap.

Another option if you really just want something to honk on in your basement is the Pbone (not the Pbone Mini!!!).  It's plastic, but still will sound like a trombone; especially if you replace the mouthpiece that comes with it.

But if you want a real playable instrument, pay a little more to DJ.

Bruce Guttman
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2015, 06:24AM »

Funny thing about that guy dj-

He is sitting on a museum of vintage Olds bones in all shapes and sizes. But the remarkable thing about Olds ( and dj) is that they/he can replicate any modern boutique bone with 1930 R&D and 1930 technology.

If you go to the Rath website and read with comprehension you'll see that by 1930 Olds had made horns that are now offered by Rath...same sizes. Same alloys.

There is nothing new in the trombone world. Its ALL been done and dj is sitting on all of it. Somewhere there is a cheap stencil horn ( thanks BGuttman for reminding us) from 1950 that predates the next big offering from Shires by 70 years. Guaranteed.

I asked dj for an Olds bass. He sent me one sight unseen. He named it Big George before he sent it. Tough to hold, but gorgeous to blow. 1955 Los Angeles. A few months after I got it I had it blow a few professional friend's minds. I measured it-- 10 3/8" thick yellow bell with double valves from 1955. The specs say .562 F attachment but it blows more freely than any Bach 50B3 ever made.... I played a 50B3 for 25 years, I know.
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 2015, 05:55AM »

yeah olds  bass bone  --just  got inquiry  about  needing help w  linkage  on  a  50s inline --thinking about  maybe  new  valves 
  well benn  chimed in about how good these valves are 
one of  my favorites  is a narrow slide  martin 547.f  the  valve is fantastic -can come apart easily  -big thin bell beautifully  engraved 
---------
  i just  got in a cheepo  2b  bell hn white tempo
   the slide  is  nearly  immovable    -but i think it is  just  goo
       some fresh ponds   will  tell
  this is one w the soft gray  plating  -and there is  much wear 
     however  it  may  be  playable     perhaps  great  ?????????????????????????????
---------olds  quality is  much better overall   as even their basic ambassador inners are  chromed  nickle silver
---------
  the getzen 351/451  is  a  very high  quality  ''student'' trombone 
----------
 saturday  3   highly skilled  schooled players arrived  around  noon ///the left  around 11pm  !!!!!!!!
  2  just  got  masters    and a  very  well rounded  member here [also]   was  amazing -
    many many trombones  got played  --we  hit reid's harvest house    --returned and the playing continued 
------------
  matching  driving parks      needs  was  very interesting ---he needed a  jazz///salsa horn   --to replace a   work  holton  66 galaxy
    AND   a  large  bore   to replace a classic  king  pre 4b/5b   that he  had  gotten  from me  previously 
edwards  components   were the  main menu  ///earl  greenhoe  //axial  several bells slides //LACK OF  LEADPIPES  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!///
  deco bell  8h ///holton big straight // the finalts  were  TWO  SELMER PARIS LARGOS--  one in near mint  was easily the  most responsive  vibrant 
    player  --which to  my ears  was immediately a match   --because  as DP   [brennen]   began playing    the  parts pieces       all came easily 
      and  it was  like letting a  pet   loose to  run --i could hear it  --and  i knew 
-----------
   bassbone 90    brought in  a very very  nice   towards the  legit  elkhart 88h    and left with an  edwards  /axial  setup  after  much mixing      parts
-------------
      meanwhile on fb  a recent hs  grad  greatly  needs  a  bass bone --so it turns out  drivingpark  has[had   a getzen 1052  !!!!!!!  for  sale 
      so this  was  a  hookup
--------------------
   OH YEAH  BONESMARSH   TRADED THE DROOLER  FOR THAT  OLDS BASS !!!!!!!
  and the drooler  went west  w  biggiesmalls to  his teacher of many  years  who has nearly  worn out his  nearly identical instrument
    so the  drooler  will  be presented  by teacher's wife  --a very beautiful  gesture  of love 
----------------
  as  most of us here  feel  for the trombone   and  trombone community  here  and    in wider circles 
 in many  ways it is  a small world esp of the  enthausiasts  //collector // serious  researcher//curious  slide seekers
-------------------
   the third player  had  just  bought  a new  edwards for 4700   and was  broke  but he really wanted  the  big bell w snakes  rotary  valve  --ha ha !!!!!!
------------
 rheinish trio    biggest  hit
  most  fun --jazz  duets 
  biggest kick  incredible reading skills  - Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed
-----------
 what a beautiful  day  !!!!!!!

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: