Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087334 Posts in 72018 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: M&W Custom Trombones is now open!  (Read 9947 times)
Rdaruwala

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2017, 02:17PM »

I don't mean to revive a fairly old thread, but how's it going? It's been a fairly long time since I've seen M&W trombones mentioned around the forum/internet
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:02PM »

Follow them on Facebook.  They seem to be doing well and are making some absolutely stunning instruments! 

Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:25PM »

Haven't seen them in person, but there are some great players with the horns out there.

They're definitely on my short list for the future.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
SethMatrix

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:38PM »

I love mine!

I've seen 3 in the wild.

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:56PM »

Man I have quite a few friends that are playing them now. I look forward to blowing one at TMEA!

Why am I not practicing?????
lmalewic

"Resonance"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:36AM »

The ones that I was able to try at Midwest were in my opinion the best large bore tenors there. I am primarily a small bore player but these were incredibly easy to play including the trigger register. They did some work on my King (converting it to a screw bell) a while back and the craftsmanship was absolutely perfect. Even my tech (who is very picky about other people's work) said before I told him who did it, that it had to have been performed by someone with a lot of experience that knew exactly what they were doing. Check out the horns when you can, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Chicago Freelance Jazz Trombonist
www.LukeMalewicz.com
KazKruszewski

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:32AM »

Baltimore Brass has a bass trombone for sale that hasn't hit their website yet.  Red brass bell, dependent; a 62H inspired trombone like one at the last American Trombone Workshop. Not sure of the price.  Plays like how I would imagine a sports car driving!     
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:04AM »

Baltimore Brass has a bass trombone for sale that hasn't hit their website yet.  Red brass bell, dependent; a 62H inspired trombone like one at the last American Trombone Workshop. Not sure of the price.  Plays like how I would imagine a sports car driving!    

An M&W bass trombone?

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
KazKruszewski

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2017, 04:07PM »

An M&W bass trombone?

Yes.
GetzenBassPlayer

"Learn as little as you have to, as well a"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2017, 04:54PM »

Wade, who is Wade on the forum, has owned more trombones than anyone I have known, has one now. From what I understand, he really likes his. I tend to agree with the idea that it matters who is building the product. I have played some the Bachs that Dan Oberloh has rebuilt and they really played much better after they were put back together.

Pro level? Pro level!  You make it pro, you make it good You make it loved and play nice Then its a pro level horn
Leif

I can justify my position with a trombone in my hands and that's good enough for me
Beware wise men bearing equations  C. Stearn
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:00PM »

Yes.

New or used?

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2017, 03:25PM »

https://www.customtrombones.com/
Lou Natunze
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Location: ...................... [ ] OffTopic ................... [ ] OutSpoken ............... [ ] Incorrigible ..............
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 06, 2017, 10:24PM »

Hmm...  I wonder if M&W is the best choice of company names.  The name M&W is similar to M&M.  M&M is an importer of tubas from China.  I don't know the M&M folks and certainly don't have anything against them, but I just don't think "quality" when I come across their name.  I think "Chinese." 

Just thinking out loud here...    :)

Now,  I grew up in a life based on

Agriculture,

and to me,

'M&W' is a name famous for both

Quality  and  Utility.

Even today,

many people earn their income by

making reproductions of M&W products.

Amongst the many entries on this page, see          "M&W Gear, Gibson City, Illinois".

M&W Turbo Charger

M&W was best known for their after-market turbo-charger 'conversion kits',

which were designed to be used on the engines of many popular

agricultural tractors of the day (  1960's, 1970's ).

( Gee, I wish we had one on Mom's John Deere 4020 !  )

To me, the name M&W means a significant increase in Power !

And you might say that an M&W moves a lot of air !

Oh, and here's a used kit for sale.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2017, 03:38PM by Lou Natunze » Logged

20Posaunen

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 26, 2017, 09:38PM »

Hi all,
I see there aren't many reviews by M&W Custom trombone owners in this thread, so I'd like to offer one here. 

The more time I spend with my M&W 322-2R trombone, the more I love it.  It is a very easy and efficient instrument to play.  Even so, I've been told by listeners in the orchestra hall that my sound has been projecting with incredible clarity, while still blending well in the section.  I also find it is possible to blend well with the other various instrument timbres in the orchestra and the instrument's colorful sound is wonderful for chamber and solo rep.  It gives a nice balance of breadth and focus, with plenty of core and a full spectrum of overtones in the sound.

I've really come to appreciate the horn's focus - when I increase my dynamics, it feels like I'm turning a dial that extends the distance of projection.  The sound doesn't want to spread; it want's to penetrate farther into the room (which actually relates very intuitively to the corresponding air stream).  It's quite an accomplishment to make such a colorful instrument that is able to maintain focus so well at higher dynamics! 

I'd say that the biggest benefits of playing my M&W are the ease and efficiency of sound production, articulation clarity/response, and the extremely well-sorted intonation.  IT JUST WORKS!  It even seems to encourage air/embouchure efficiency - my playing consistency and endurance have both improved as I've played my M&W for the last 7 months. 

I've found the M&W bass trombones to be equally efficient and well-designed, with excellent ergonomics and craftsmanship!  The independent valves play incredibly evenly between the various combinations with smooth, quick operation.  You can really feel the quality of the instrument even just by activating the valve levers while holding the horn.  The smal details are done right and every element of the design was thoughtfully considered. 

I'm convinced that Matt and Michael are the premier trombone artisans of our time.  The fit, finish, design, and attention to detail that goes into each instrument is truly second to none.  I highly recommend that all trombonists try out M&W Custom trombones! 
I'm very excited to try the designs they come out with next!

If anyone has other questions about my experience with their instruments, I'm happy to answer.  I play-tested the basses pretty extensively on two occasions and have, so far, played my 322-R tenor in the orchestra, brass quintet, trombone quartet, trombone choir, solo rep, in the pit for multiple ballets, with organ & brass in church, and with an intimate orchestra/choir/soloists (Mozart Requiem - both on the alto part and tuba mirum). 

All the best,
Daniel

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
-  Maya Angelou
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: