Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088371 Posts in 71910 Topics- by 19303 Members - Latest Member: erin3140
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) Ian Bousfield's new book?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ian Bousfield's new book?  (Read 1346 times)
mlarsson

View Profile
« on: Aug 25, 2015, 11:05AM »

Has anyone read Ian Bousfield's new book "Unlocking the trombone code"?
http://www.warwickmusic.com/Main-Catalogue/CDs-Books/Books/Bousfield-Unlocking-The-Trombone-Code-BK018

Did he present any new views which you found useful and inspiring?

CuBone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:45AM »

I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts on Ian's book and if it's worth buying. I also spotted this video course which goes with the book.

https://www.musicgurus.com/course/ian-bousfield-unlocking-the-trombone-code-course

Anyone got any endorsements for either book or videos or both?
vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 07:43AM »

I know Elkartian was very impressed with Ian's book!

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
Bard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 11:54AM »

I have the book and liked it. Some parts are (for me) more useful than others but then depends of course where you are and what you are looking for. I also have the video series and think they are very good, but most of the lessons are for advanced players. Stuff like how to play Bolero is high above my level but it is anyway interesting to watch the lesson. You always pick up something anyway.

There are also several free videos by Bousfield on Youtube. I recommend you look at them first and then decide what to do. The Youtube videos contains some of the same ideas and topics that are in the book and in the rentable videos.

King 2B/3B - Marcinkiewicz ET3 Charlie Loper
Conn Artist Symphony - Greg Black 5GS
LX

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:34PM »

I love Ian's book. It has some great written ideas as well as some excellent exercises and drills to use to develop sound, articulation and flexibility. The videos are really great. He is such a refined and consistently musical player. He is also a very smart and informed player who really has thought through so much about details of playing and the musical demands of an orchestral player. His playing on the videos is worth the price. It amazes me [especially as a teacher myself] how effortlessly he goes from talking right to playing with [apparently] so little effort. He has great ears [every note he sings is at pitch and right on the money] and what you might call a textbook embouchure. Solid, purchased and efficient.

Even if the musical discussion might leave some amateur and student players a bit confused, it is still pretty inspiring to get to spend some time hearing what one of the greatest orchestral trombone players of all time has to say about music and trombone!

Good! Good! Good!

"Perfection is a achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
growlerbox
Just a clown with an axe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2017, 02:32AM »

... and what you might call a textbook embouchure. Solid, purchased and efficient.

At last!  What I've been waiting for.  Where did he buy it?   :D

If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: