Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092671 Posts in 72310 Topics- by 19428 Members - Latest Member: trosedos
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapstick  (Read 7691 times)
Steerpike

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:47PM »

I've found that anything petroleum based tends to make my lips drier over time. Beeswax or Shea butter based products don't have this effect and so work a lot better for me.
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:02AM »

http://www.pedalnotemedia.com/the-brass-junkies/

So listen to episode 24. It is with the guy who invented Chopsaver.  Apparently you can get a free sample from them.  Guy is a trumpet player from Indianapolis. His journey makes me want to try the stuff.

I don't generally use anything.  Maybe some vaseline when things get really bad, but I find hydration to be the better (preventative) solution.  Yeah, it is rough to keep up.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
bbalika

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:55AM »

Another good one is Lip Ivo. It's cheaper than Chop Saver, has a nice vanilla scent and doesn't cake up!

If you're looking for another chapstick to try, I highly recommend it!

They have a website, but it's actually cheaper to buy it from Rivendell.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/goo11.htm
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:19AM »

$1 at Dollar Tree. I just needed something quick.

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
jedrph

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2016, 05:55PM »

I use lansinoh HPA - pure lanolin usually in the baby care isle (used for nursing mothers - don't laugh it's great stuff). I also use it for tuning slide lube. Doesn't irritate like a lot of the medicated lip balms do.
Roebird37

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:06AM »

$1 at Dollar Tree. I just needed something quick.

I picked up one of these in the supermarket last week because I couldn't get hold of my usual Burts Bees.
It's actually very good, but I accidentally bought a tinted one. 
First time I used it, I didn't realise that I'd smeared pink stuff all around my chops for quite some time.  I usually rub balm on my lips and all the skin around the edges too, to protect it all from the nasty weather.

Krazzikk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 17, 2017, 02:05PM »

For about 6 months now I've been using Carmex Classic Medicated lip balm that comes in the white/yellow jar. I never thought about the camphor/menthol affecting the muscles in my lips, so maybe it would be best to find a different solution.

I feel like I have chapped lips over 50% of the time if not something more like 60%, and they often get a bit torn up from me biting off the skin despite my best efforts to resist the urge. This is a huge problem for me. Recently I'm setting a new goal for drinking more water so hopefully that will help although I always thought I drank a lot.

Could it also possibly be that my lips get chapped from breathing through my mouth when I sleep and otherwise?
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 18, 2017, 04:41PM »

For about 6 months now I've been using Carmex Classic Medicated lip balm that comes in the white/yellow jar. I never thought about the camphor/menthol affecting the muscles in my lips, so maybe it would be best to find a different solution.

I feel like I have chapped lips over 50% of the time if not something more like 60%, and they often get a bit torn up from me biting off the skin despite my best efforts to resist the urge. This is a huge problem for me. Recently I'm setting a new goal for drinking more water so hopefully that will help although I always thought I drank a lot.

Could it also possibly be that my lips get chapped from breathing through my mouth when I sleep and otherwise?

Nailed it. Drink water, and cut out soda. Water cures everything. I knew a guy who was bald, overweight, a pirate, and had a peg leg. But then he drank water...

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
baileyman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 2017, 07:26AM »

Trader Joe's, for some reason it just feels great.

harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 2017, 04:55PM »

LOL Virtuoso. Hahahahha

T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Jul 19, 2017, 05:45PM »

Virtuoso: 50% ORGANic / 50% PIANistic ?
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 19, 2017, 05:59PM »

I seem to find every time I use a chapstick, usually in the winter, I get a coldsore on my lip which is not great for a brass player.

You might be getting the causation backwards, there. I've gotten cold sores most of my life, and gotten better at preventing and clearing them up.

Cold sores are caused by the Herpes Simplex virus, which produces symptoms at times of weakness (hence, 'cold sores' and 'fever blisters'). The symptoms of the virus are also facilitated by chapped or sunburned lips. I'm guessing that what's happening is that you get chapped lips, then put the Chapstick on, then you get a cold sore, which is cause by the chapped lips which caused you to use the Chapstick, then mistaking the Chapstick rather than the chapped lips as the cause of the cold sore.

I try to keep SPF on my lips anytime I have exposure to sun, and to keep my lips from ever getting chapped, in order to avoid cold sores. For people who don't get cold sores, this may not be as important, but anything's better than a damned cold sore.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 19, 2017, 07:53PM »

And that's why dirty cheek pinching Grammas shouldn't kiss grandkids. Protect your children!

T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2017, 07:59PM »

And that's why dirty cheek pinching Grammas shouldn't kiss grandkids. Protect your children!

You really do get the Herpes Simplex virus from your dirty kissing grandma, or more likely your parents. The thing is that most people have it. People who don't get cold sores are more likely to be asymptomatic than uninfected. If you get 'em (and they're freaking miserable), you have to learn how to prevent them, and how to make them go away.

The short answer to the former is to prevent chapped lips and sunburn, completely. That improves your odds a little.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 20, 2017, 04:11AM »

Wow! Thanks guys! Now I have something else to worry about! I buy Chapstick by the case, am an avid user of it and never get a cold sore. But I will probably be covered with them soon now that my consciousness has been raised.   Evil

My parents and grandparents are all gone so maybe I'm safe.  Amazed

...Geezer
Terraplane8Bob

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 20, 2017, 09:44AM »

I haven't used any lip balms for decades, but recall as a student at ESM when my instructor [Donald Knaub - RIP] suddenly grabbed my tube of ChapStick from my hand and threw it into a trashcan.  He told me to NEVER use ChapStick and told me to get something called "LipAde", which of course I did.  The issue wasn't anything about a magical formula but about the fact that ChapStick came packaged  in a metal tube and LipAde came in a plastic tube.  He wisely pointed out that if someone accidentally bumped me when I had it pressed to my lips that it would act like a "cookie cutter" and slice a chunk out of my lip !   Eeek!  The winters in Rochester, NY were usually horrific and brass players needed something with which to fight back.  Every once in a while some wise-guy would make a crack about my rather prominent proboscis and it wasn't until I pointed out that I was the only one in the brass department that had a "heated awning over my embouchure" that the wise cracks ceased !  A tuba player friend once pointed out that brass players should never eat fried chicken before a gig because the chicken fat wouldn't allow your lips to slide against each other.  Try putting a bit of chicken fat between your fingers and then try to slide them back and forth.  They won't "slide" --- they will "chatter" ---unlike if you used motor oil or even beef grease which allows them to "slide".  Not that anyone uses chicken fat in their lip balm, but I'd definitely suggest that test when choosing any lip balm --- you may be surprised !   Cheers !!    Bob
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: Jul 20, 2017, 10:10AM »

My friend Tesha makes nice natural things and I use her "All Healing Salve" - the little 1 oz tin is good size for lips.

http://www.teshastone.com/?product=all-healing-salve-29-g-1-oz

It's a simple formula of infused jojoba wax with beeswax: light mellow non-greasy healing that wipes away as desired.

This, or something similar that is local to you, is the only way to go. ;-)

Good!

let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 20, 2017, 10:22AM »

I'm wondering when Chap Stick went from a metal tube to a plastic tube. All the ones I have stashed around my house are plastic tubes.

...Geezer
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2017, 01:16PM »

I'm wondering when Chap Stick went from a metal tube to a plastic tube. All the ones I have stashed around my house are plastic tubes.

...Geezer

It's got to be at least 20 years.  I remember the metal tubes, but haven't seen them in a LONG time.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Terraplane8Bob

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 20, 2017, 01:52PM »

It shows my age, but the metal ChapStick container was circa 1956 ---- over 60 years ago !  GEEZ !!  Amazed  I gotta go take a nap !  Cheers !!  Bob
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: