Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092671 Posts in 72310 Topics- by 19428 Members - Latest Member: trosedos
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapstick  (Read 7692 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 20, 2017, 02:01PM »

It shows my age, but the metal ChapStick container was circa 1956 ---- over 60 years ago !  GEEZ !!  Amazed  I gotta go take a nap !  Cheers !!  Bob

I understand that at that time "Knaubie" was the alternative to studying with Remington.  When Remington died a lot of his students got picked up by Don.  Others went insane :-P

I have a recording of the Ithaca Brass Quintet with Knaub on trombone.  I understand he used to play the trombone parts on a single trigger bass.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Terraplane8Bob

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 20, 2017, 02:28PM »

Not exactly ChapStick related : Don Knaub taught all the euphonium and tuba students, although there were a couple of us who studied trombone with him.  I entered ESM as a euphonium student and so was assigned Don.  I started playing trombone my Junior year using a Conn trombone loaned to me by Emory Remington but stuck with Don.  An interesting horn, that, with TIS, friction fit between bell & slide sections and an "F" valve actuated by using a leather thong !  I never looked at the Model Number.  It played great !  Now : Back to the previously scheduled program ..................
Terraplane8Bob

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 20, 2017, 02:37PM »

Don Knaub did play the trombone parts on a single trigger bass, a Conn 72H with a 1 1/2G Bach mouthpiece, although he did have a Reynolds Contempora bass for several years prior to the Conn.  He later became a Yamaha Clinician and played Yamaha to the end of his playing career.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2017, 02:44PM »

It shows my age, but the metal ChapStick container was circa 1956 ---- over 60 years ago !  GEEZ !!  Amazed  I gotta go take a nap !  Cheers !!  Bob

Oh! You mean back in the Pond's Cold Cream era! Now there was some bad-ass Yamaha Snot of it's day!

Lol. I remember when Suzy Chaffee was hocking ChapStick

Lol. Someone had to post it.

...Geezer
Raphael boner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: Sep 18, 2017, 10:41AM »

Hi everyone !

Some chapsticks are good... and some are bad.

Some are good for skiing and horrible for brass playing ( like Nivea for example, it makes it hard for my lips to vibrate somehow )

SO what to choose?

What to look for exactly :

- does it leave residue?
- does it make it hard for my lips to vibrate?
- is it made with natural and nutrition rich oils ? ( avocado, calendula, ... )

Your lips should be hydrated but not soggy.

My personal favourite is the ChopSaver. I have used it for years now, with the classic one, and the SPF15 one when it is sunny out.

Here is a little article / video I made on that subject :

https://www.raphaelreiter.com/best-chapstick-lip-balm-for-musicians/

Hope it helps!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: