Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088988 Posts in 71983 Topics- by 19325 Members - Latest Member: StanKenton69
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-Chat(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) OMEA Solo & Ensemble Competition
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OMEA Solo & Ensemble Competition  (Read 2953 times)
« on: Feb 08, 2003, 09:27AM »

Well, I can safely assume that many of you here in Ohio are going to one in your region!  Good luck to you all!
MoeTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2003, 09:36AM »

How many ensembles are you playing?
What solo are you playing? And what class is it if I'm not familiar with the piece...

"Don't look at the trombones. It only encourages them." -Strauss
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2003, 10:58PM »

I'm only playing a solo, no ensemble stuff.  One solo, entitled 'Bolero'... unfortunately it's only a class 'C' piece, which was what I was handed.  Next year I want to play a 'B' or even an 'A' piece, and next year i'm going to get about a 2 month head start on it.

I think that it'd be neat if they had also a Trombone Trio or Quartet class.  We'd show those danged saxes how to play in a group!
MoeTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2003, 02:43PM »

Bolero, Class C? I assume it is not the one that starts on high Bb like the trombone solo in the full symphonic piece with the same name.

I played a hard class B solo last year (my freshman year) and I can tell you it was pretty easy; I got it worked up in about a week (had to, I kind of procrastinated until a week before contest). The OMEA solos don't really start getting tricky up until hard class A's. I'm playing a hard class A solo this year (as a sophomore) and it pretty tricky. It's the ostrander arrangement for trombone of Vivaldi's concerto in A minor. The good news is it does not require too much in the way of really high playing, the bad news is it is mind numbingly fast and there are far to few places to breathe. My lesson teacher described it as "very...notey". Still it is a very fun piece to play, if you don't already have your mind set on the piece you want to play next year, you might consider asking your lesson teacher about this one.

As far as ensembles I'm playing a 1st bone in a trombone quartet, Equale No. 2 by Mendelssohn and 1st bone in a brass quartet, Canzone Dopo L'Epistola by Frescobaldi. I don't know what class these are, and I don't need to because if they do make us play scales, I will already have all the A scales memorized from my solo anyway.

Alex McMahon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2003, 03:01PM »

This year I am in 5 events.

1- Canzon duodecimi toni; for Brass Choir, I play bone 1 in choir 1, believe it's Class B

2- Every Time I Feel the Spirit; Bone Choir, First Part, Class B

3- Symphony for Brass Choir; Brass Sextet, Class A

4- Valse de Concert; Bone Quartet, First Part, Class A

5- Desert Star; Solo Bone, Class A

I am also a sophomore this year. Last year I played Concerto, Rimsky-Korsakov arrangement, for my solo an was in six other ensembles, two being percussion ensembles. Judges don't ask ensembles for scales in district 10 because it's too hard to coordinate on the director's or player who starts the ensemble's part and takes too long.
MoeTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2003, 03:29PM »

Wow Alex, your band must be huge to have that many ensembles, or your conductor is just really confident in his kids' playing ability. I think there are only 4 wind ensembles our school is doing this year and I'm in half of them. I'm really surprized that we got a bone quartet to do this year, because our band director isn't too confident with the 3rd or 4th bones' playing abilities.

Alex McMahon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2003, 04:04PM »

My band has somewhere around 85 members. Our direcor does all the brass ensembles, about ten and half the percussion ensembles, five I believe.
The assistant director does the woodwind ensembles, twelve this year and the other five percussion ensembles. Both directors work with soloists and also a middle school director, a trombone player also, who help with brass soloists.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2003, 01:04PM »

Boy, do I feel as if i'm an idiot...  I really want to play a more advanced piece, though I don't think my band director is too confident in any person's abilities at our school...  Unfortunately, there are only a handful of really good musicians at our school, me being one, a sax being another, a trumpet being a third, and a flute being the last.  

I can only imagine that 'A' trombone pieces are quite nightmarish.
MoeTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2003, 06:13PM »

Anyway guys, I hope to see you there. Look for a  Shires with the CL resistance balancer on it and that will be me; I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one there with one. I know what bone you play Alex. What kind of trombone do you play Warp? (as to pick you out from the crowd)

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2003, 10:35PM »

Blech... i'm playing a battered-looking Bach... my other horn was in the shop, and so i'm playing the most comfy horn I have for my solo... i'll be there around 12:30, probably wearing khakis and a red sweater.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2003, 04:40PM »

quote:
Originally posted by MoeTrombone:
Bolero, Class C? I assume it is not the one that starts on high Bb like the trombone solo in the full symphonic piece with the same name.

I played a hard class B solo last year (my freshman year) and I can tell you it was pretty easy; I got it worked up in about a week (had to, I kind of procrastinated until a week before contest). The OMEA solos don't really start getting tricky up until hard class A's. I'm playing a hard class A solo this year (as a sophomore) and it pretty tricky. It's the ostrander arrangement for trombone of Vivaldi's concerto in A minor. The good news is it does not require too much in the way of really high playing, the bad news is it is mind numbingly fast and there are far to few places to breathe. My lesson teacher described it as "very...notey". Still it is a very fun piece to play, if you don't already have your mind set on the piece you want to play next year, you might consider asking your lesson teacher about this one.

As far as ensembles I'm playing a 1st bone in a trombone quartet, Equale No. 2 by Mendelssohn and 1st bone in a brass quartet, Canzone Dopo L'Epistola by Frescobaldi. I don't know what class these are, and I don't need to because if they do make us play scales, I will already have all the A scales memorized from my solo anyway.

No, no scales are needed for ensembles.  And by the way, the trombone quartet is a class B piece and the brass quartet is a class A.
And I do wish to tell you, Seth, that although you sit at the top of the section in concert band and you play the first parts on the quartets, you are not technically first bone.  There's a certain euphonium player who when he pulls out his trombone, is first.
Don't let your ego run away with you just yet, dude.  Next year you will have no competition.
MoeTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2003, 05:56PM »

Forgive me for that Chris, but I was just trying to one up Alex as he seems to be doing that to Warp.  

« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2003, 01:33PM »

Correction:  I'll be playing a Open Wrap Conn with Rose Brass Bell and a CL mouthpiece.

It's alright, I get a lot of dumping by lots of people.  Last night, a euphonium started critiquing me... it was alright until he started on '3rd position is a little bit further down the slide'... I hate TOO much criticism.

And no, not Bolero that starts on a Bb.  I'm not good enough to play an A piece, a tough 'B' perhaps.
MoeTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2003, 01:36PM »

Ok, I'll look for you there, but there are quite a few open wrap conns around. I might confuse you with the lead player for the CCM Youth Brass Choir. When I went to a concert he had one, and I know there are a few more around. On that topic, when I went to the brass choir concert, I think I was the only one there that wasn't a parent, sibling, band director etc. of one of the performers. I think more people should get out there and go to local high school and honor band performances if they have a chance to. Hey, maybe it will catch on and people will come to yours. Plus, almost all of them are free.

« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2003, 03:38PM »

Oh, speaking of performances, look on the Cinci Brass Band's website and mark your calendars for May 17th because the Cincinnati Youth Brass Band is performing with the regular Brass Band and with a couple other performers, I think...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: