Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087334 Posts in 72018 Topics- by 19243 Members - Latest Member: CABurton159
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakFood and Drink(Moderators: RedHotMama, BFW) Open fire, Rotisserie cooking anyone?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Open fire, Rotisserie cooking anyone?  (Read 1928 times)
NJSouth

View Profile
« on: Oct 29, 2015, 05:55PM »

Not sure if I'm taking a step forward or a step backward in my cooking but tomorrow I'm cooking a bottom round roast on an open fire with a rotisserie. Looking for anyone's advice on prep or the cooking in general.
I'm a big fan of churrasco style beef and want to give it a shot myself.

I read before a gentleman was cooking over an open fire and his kids loved it because they thought they were playing "caveman" That gave me a chuckle.
Paul Martin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2015, 02:39PM »

That should be a fairly long cook, the only suggestion is to either use charcoal (avoiding mesquite, as it is pretty strong and can overpower the taste if cooking times are long), and if you use hardwood logs (and you should only use hardwood logs), reduce them to coals first separately, then add to the pit (you can get some nasty creosote off of burning wood before it reaches a certain temperature, which you can avoid by reducing to coals first.
NJSouth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2015, 05:00AM »

Gotta tell you it went MUCH better than I expected. I bought the "Grizzlie" Rotisserie set off Amazon and it was here the next day. I have a 4ft diameter fire pit with bricks/stones stacked to 2.5 Ft. I used a Bottom Round Roast as my inaugural cooking experiment. Covered it in Kosher Salt and pepper and let it sit for about 3 hours to room temperature.

Started my fire with junk wood that was laying around, waiting to put the good hard wood on last. I set the spit up where I actually had the rotisserie motor outside of the fire pit. It worked well. Got some bad batteries to start with that only lasted 15 minutes. I was nervous after that but second set lasted duration of the cook.

I tried to stay low and slow with my heat which seemed to be the case. I cooked it for 2.5 hours and after sampling some while still on the spit, I gotta tell you I was impressed. Took it in, let it rest while a wonderful gin and tonic was consumed and then cut it down the middle. Beautiful pink in the center light pink through out. It really came out well. I had it with baked potatoes that were thrown in the coals and some green beans and mushrooms. Turns out I'm a much better cook than I am a trombone player but the good thing is I'm looking to get better at both.

While it was a decent amount of work I loved cooking like this and look forward to doing ribs next. I recommend it.
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:07PM »

Check out these cookbooks:
"Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way" http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Fires-Grilling-Argentine-Way/dp/1579653545/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463022176&sr=1-1&keywords=seven+fires+grilling+the+argentine+way
"Planet Barbecue" http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Barbecue-Steven-Raichlen/dp/0761148019/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463022377&sr=1-20&keywords=barbecue+bible
Chances are good they'll be available thru your local public library.

Daniel De Kok
Principal, Warminster (PA) Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: