Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066682 Posts in 70904 Topics- by 18688 Members - Latest Member: woody
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My visit with Roy Lawler  (Read 16605 times)
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:09AM »

Does Roy have a horn that is along the line of the classic 8" bell 6H?

Yes. I'm not sure what Roy would suggest but here is what I would do. An LB1-2 (.022) yellow brass stem with an 8" .022 yellow brass flare with a conventional round bead, soldered, no rim wire. Yellow brass tuning slide crook and inners, yellow brass neck pipe. A .500 yellow brass hand slide with a nickel crook. That should do it.

Another choice would be to have the flare made using his method. The rim rolled flat back onto itself and soldered.

Scott Bentall-Freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
1935 Williams "L" Arrowhead
Conn 71H
RJMason

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:39AM »

I wish you took pics Scott I want to see your horn! wow!

Also today I put my older Big Boy bell section on my .500 slide...perfect fit.

8.5 inch yellow brass bell on this yellow brass slide is INSANE...gonna gig on it tonight. Might have to keep the .525 lawler in the arsenal just in case...

Bach LT36BG
Conn 6H with Butler Carbon Fiber Slide
B.A.C. Custom King 3BF w/ Williams rotor
Lawler .500 Bore
Conn 72H
Olds Flugabone
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Feb 21, 2017, 12:49PM »

I wish you took pics Scott I want to see your horn! wow!

Also today I put my older Big Boy bell section on my .500 slide...perfect fit.

8.5 inch yellow brass bell on this yellow brass slide is INSANE...gonna gig on it tonight. Might have to keep the .525 lawler in the arsenal just in case...
===

That's very cool, man. A .525 is in the pipeline utilizing this latest (newest) design of his along with some other things that I will not reveal until the prototype is in my hands for assessment.

I'm an old schooler in just about every aspect of my life, except this dang computer, so digital pics are not something I do. Such is life.

----

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
Sid

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Feb 21, 2017, 12:51PM »

Thanks for the replies! This is what Roy said:

Slide: LS5N .500 bore nickel slide, brass end bow.
Bell stem: LB1-2 yellow brass .020 thick yellow brass neck pipe.
Flare: .020 yellow 8 inch round soldered bead
Extra Flare: red brass 7 3/4 inch .025

It seems to be a fairly light setup, aside from the extra flare. Do you think it would still hold together well at volume?

My normal setup is very similar to that (.020 all yellow brass bell stem / tuning slide / gooseneck; .022 7 3/4 red brass flare; .500 nickel slide w/ brass bow) and I have no problems being heard.

I'll parrot everything that Ray, Scott and others have said about Roy and his work. I've picked up my 3B Silversonic exactly twice since August. While I will always have a soft spot for that horn and still enjoy playing it, my Lawler horn is just a much better horn and better for me in how I play. I don't work anywhere near as hard as I used to, and that for me translates to playing more of what I want to play without fighting a horn. I encourage anyone considering taking a trip to visit him and play his horns there with him listening to do so.
Sid

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Feb 21, 2017, 12:58PM »

That's very cool, man. A .525 is in the pipeline utilizing this latest (newest) design of his along with some other things that I will not reveal until the prototype is in my hands for assessment.

That's good news Scott. Will look forward to seeing what comes about in the coming months.
RJMason

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Feb 22, 2017, 12:09PM »

This thread inspired me to reach out to Roy again yesterday, as its almost been one year since I received my horn from him.  He's going to loop me into some play testing for the new things as well.

I've been playing the 15 lead pipe...but recently felt like I needed a bit more resistance and have gravitated to the 5 lead pipe and I'm really into it.

I also needed to blast some low E-Flats on a recording session last night...pulled the tuning slide alllll the way out and it sounded SO GOOD.

Other modern makers I've worked with made me horns that wouldn't even sound in tune if I pulled the tuning slide all the way out or all the way in.  His horn is so in tune.

I'll always love my vintage horns, but this horn really is, to me, the modern day answer.

Bach LT36BG
Conn 6H with Butler Carbon Fiber Slide
B.A.C. Custom King 3BF w/ Williams rotor
Lawler .500 Bore
Conn 72H
Olds Flugabone
DaCapo

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:07AM »

When I do slur's I feel like a cello player doing that technique they use in the horror films.
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:57AM »

I'll always love my vintage horns, but this horn really is, to me, the modern day answer.
===

Me too. Right again!

----

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:37AM »

I've been playing the 15 lead pipe...but recently felt like I needed a bit more resistance and have gravitated to the 5 lead pipe and I'm really into it.

Can those of you who have played the horns speak to the leadpipes a bit more?  Materials, sizes, blowing characteristics, etc.? 

I'm just curious.  I understand fully the value of trying them myself, but I want to hear others' opinions! 

-John
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:56PM »

Can those of you who have played the horns speak to the leadpipes a bit more?  Materials, sizes, blowing characteristics, etc.? 

I'm just curious.  I understand fully the value of trying them myself, but I want to hear others' opinions! 
===

Venturi sizes are .405-.410-.415. They are either two piece like a King which is Roy's standard or one piece which is what he made for me because that is what I prefer.
                              #5   #10  #15

They are all brass, 7-5/16" in length and as far as I know have the same taper. For the longest time I played a #15 but needed more room so I play a Kanstul W6 and am very happy with that set up. Roy's pipes are nice but I found the overall volume that I can achieve with the Kanstul to be greater. Roy's pipes do respond a tad quicker than the Kanstul, but the immediacy of his horn's design is superb to begin with, so I'm fine with the Kanstul W6.

I find his pipes to have a very pointed feel to the attack and the sound too, but that decreases somewhat as you go up in size from #5 to # 10 to #15.

I hope this helps.

===

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:44PM »

That is excellent info; thank you! Is your Kanstul pipe press fit?

-John
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:48PM »

That is excellent info; thank you! Is your Kanstul pipe press fit?
----

Kanstul is pressfit as are the Lawler pipes.

===

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
DaCapo

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:42PM »

Leadpipes match different with different bells. My red brass 7 3/4 is super nice on the 10 lead pipe. The 8 inch bronze with the W6 Kanstul.  Pant Pant Pant
dembonesMA

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:48AM »

Hi, first-time poster but (very) long-time player here (playing professionally for 40 years...)

I ordered a horn from Roy Lawler first week of January. He was wrapping up his final trumpet orders so lead time was longer than normal.

My last long-term horn was a Rath R3 .525 with nickel silver bell that I played for about 10 years. Fantastic horn (which I'll be selling here if I love the Lawler), but too big for the musical context I mostly play in now. For that reason for the last year I've been playing  my old Bach 12 I bought new in 1975 - great horn though hoping I like the Lawler better.

After taking to Roy for well over an hour, at his recommendation I ordered  a .22 red brass stem, .500 nickel outer slide with brass bow, a 7.5" .22 red brass flare, and a 7.75" .25 yellow brass flare.

I sure hope I love it, but these things already impress me:

- I can return it for full refund.

- The cost is a good $1,000 less than a small-bore horn from Shires or Rath etc. And this includes 2 flares, and 2 cases! (He was throwing in both the flat hard case and the gig bag when I ordered) This is a remarkable value. Between that and the time he takes consulting with you over the materials choices, it gives the impression that he is in it for love and not the money.

- it's a one-man shop

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this! Should be within the next few weeks...
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Feb 24, 2017, 01:40PM »

Hi, first-time poster but (very) long-time player here (playing professionally for 40 years...)

I ordered a horn from Roy Lawler first week of January. He was wrapping up his final trumpet orders so lead time was longer than normal.

My last long-term horn was a Rath R3 .525 with nickel silver bell that I played for about 10 years. Fantastic horn (which I'll be selling here if I love the Lawler), but too big for the musical context I mostly play in now. For that reason for the last year I've been playing  my old Bach 12 I bought new in 1975 - great horn though hoping I like the Lawler better.

After taking to Roy for well over an hour, at his recommendation I ordered  a .22 red brass stem, .500 nickel outer slide with brass bow, a 7.5" .22 red brass flare, and a 7.75" .25 yellow brass flare.

I sure hope I love it, but these things already impress me:

- I can return it for full refund.

- The cost is a good $1,000 less than a small-bore horn from Shires or Rath etc. And this includes 2 flares, and 2 cases! (He was throwing in both the flat hard case and the gig bag when I ordered) This is a remarkable value. Between that and the time he takes consulting with you over the materials choices, it gives the impression that he is in it for love and not the money.

- it's a one-man shop

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this! Should be within the next few weeks...
===

Nice! I hope you love it too. It will be very different from your Bach. Please take the time to adjust to the blow. I suggest easing off a bit. Yes, Roy loves what he is doing and is as fair a man as you will ever come across.

----

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
DaCapo

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Mar 11, 2017, 12:13PM »

Leadpipes match different with different bells. My red brass 7 3/4 is super nice on the 10 lead pipe. The 8 inch bronze with the W6 Kanstul.  Pant Pant Pant
The 10 just works overall the best for me actually, both flares...
Bach16G

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38AM »

I thought I would check in on this thread to share my experiences so far... I posted earlier about my Lawler - received late Sept 2016 (85/15 .25 stem, .500 all nickel slide, .22 7.75" red bell, .25 8" yellow bell, .25 8" bronze bell - all soldered rounded bead)

I initially had some difficulty finding the right balance of mouthpiece and leadpipe - and after MANY different trials I think I have found the best solution that works for me.

Mouthpiece - I am now using several Doug Elliott configurations, and they ALL seem to work really well with the Lawler depending on the playing situation:
  • LT100/C+/D3 (most used)
  • LT100/D/D3
  • LT100/C/C3

Leadpipe - after trying several options, I have settled on the Kanstul H6. I also like the W6, but I am finding the best results for me with the H6. Roy's pipes are good as well - I have a #5 and #10.

The more I play, the more I appreciate the flexibility of intervals and the stability of pitch and intonation. My attacks feel more secure at all dynamics - bigger "targets" it seems to me. I feel much more at ease working through the middle to upper registers - much smoother for me without the "wall" I always fight on my Bach 16 (a good playing Bach except for the obstinate upper register at times.) I like all three bells in different situations - I love the options! I'm still experimenting with all three to see what I prefer for different situations.

The slide has been great! Relatively short break-in time - and I did lots of careful cleaning at first - it now has the best action of any slide I have ever used. Trombotine (very lightly applied) has given me the best results so far.

One question/issue for others with a current Lawler - do you find the distance between the slide and bell (especially with an 8" flare) closer than other instruments you play? I had to adjust my right hand position somewhat to avoid bumping the bell as I play - I've adjusted now and it only happens rarely.

Also - Roy has posted his recommended set-up on his website - he endorses an all yellow brass configuration there. I'm very happy with my current set-up... but I was just curious if others have come across this on his site.

Steve
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2017, 12:42PM »

To those of you who own or have tried the Lawler small bores, which combination of parts most matches the sound and feel of a vintage 6H, not the heavy belled '50's version but the lighter weight ones  from the '60''s..... I don't mean the specs but how they play?....
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2017, 06:20AM »

To those of you who own or have tried the Lawler small bores, which combination of parts most matches the sound and feel of a vintage 6H, not the heavy belled '50's version but the lighter weight ones  from the '60''s..... I don't mean the specs but how they play?....
===

See my reply #160. Same stuff but with an .020 yellow brass bell. You can get close to the sound and feel of a vintage 6H, but obviously, it's a Lawler and has it's own characteristics that I much prefer over any 6H I have ever played.

----

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2017, 06:24AM »

I thought I would check in on this thread to share my experiences so far... I posted earlier about my Lawler - received late Sept 2016 (85/15 .25 stem, .500 all nickel slide, .22 7.75" red bell, .25 8" yellow bell, .25 8" bronze bell - all soldered rounded bead)

I initially had some difficulty finding the right balance of mouthpiece and leadpipe - and after MANY different trials I think I have found the best solution that works for me.

Mouthpiece - I am now using several Doug Elliott configurations, and they ALL seem to work really well with the Lawler depending on the playing situation:
  • LT100/C+/D3 (most used)
  • LT100/D/D3
  • LT100/C/C3

Leadpipe - after trying several options, I have settled on the Kanstul H6. I also like the W6, but I am finding the best results for me with the H6. Roy's pipes are good as well - I have a #5 and #10.

The more I play, the more I appreciate the flexibility of intervals and the stability of pitch and intonation. My attacks feel more secure at all dynamics - bigger "targets" it seems to me. I feel much more at ease working through the middle to upper registers - much smoother for me without the "wall" I always fight on my Bach 16 (a good playing Bach except for the obstinate upper register at times.) I like all three bells in different situations - I love the options! I'm still experimenting with all three to see what I prefer for different situations.

The slide has been great! Relatively short break-in time - and I did lots of careful cleaning at first - it now has the best action of any slide I have ever used. Trombotine (very lightly applied) has given me the best results so far.

One question/issue for others with a current Lawler - do you find the distance between the slide and bell (especially with an 8" flare) closer than other instruments you play? I had to adjust my right hand position somewhat to avoid bumping the bell as I play - I've adjusted now and it only happens rarely.

Also - Roy has posted his recommended set-up on his website - he endorses an all yellow brass configuration there. I'm very happy with my current set-up... but I was just curious if others have come across this on his site.

Steve
----

Nice report, thanks. I don't have an 8" bell flare so I can't speak to the bumping the bell situation you speak of. But you've adjusted, so...

===

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: