Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066701 Posts in 70906 Topics- by 18688 Members - Latest Member: woody
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My visit with Roy Lawler  (Read 16607 times)
DaveAshley

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2017, 07:58AM »

I definitely have noticed the distance thing with the 8 inch bell - Really only when I need to trim my fingernails!  :-P

Right now, I'm favoring the 8 in. bronze bell, believe it or not.  I did a 5-month cruise contract (December 7 to April 30), and only brought my 8 in yellow .022 and unsoldered 7.5 yellow .022 flares.  After getting adjusted to the horn, I found those to be a little light in the end. BUT, I only discovered this after I got home to my bronze flare (which was the one I settled on when I went to Roy's shop - funny how that works, eh?).  Anyway, I've also picked up a Kanstul 'S' leadpipe, which is working VERY well, though I'm still swapping off with the H6.  I'm on another cruise gig now (Queen Mary 2 dance band) and I'm quite happy with my current setup (.025 all yellow stem section with 8 in. .025 bronze flare, all nickel .500 slide, Kanstul S & H6 leadipes and a very early Bach New York 11C mouthpiece). I might have Roy put a brass crook on my slide this summer. I mentioned earlier in this thread when I first visited the shop that I found the vibrato to be more pronounced on the brass than the nickel. I think that'd be a good tweak for me.

I'm hoping to meet up soon with Alex Jeun, another Lawler player from NYC, to have a little Lawler party.  I'd like to try his all-brass slide to see if that might be a direction I want to go. He's ordered a carbon fibre outer slide from Butler as well! Who knows? Might do that too....  Don't know

All in all, I have been thrilled with my horn.  Simply put, I can do things on it that I haven't been able to do on my other horns.  Adjusting to it has taught me to be a more efficient player while at the same time giving me an added level of confidence that what is coming out of the bell is more & more musical.   

Oh, and P.S.  I sent my unsoldered-rim 7.5 yellow .022 to Kanstul for silver plating. Mostly just for kicks, but I think it'll be a nice, zingy contrast to the others I have. And I betcha it'll look cool, too!  Good!

sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2017, 08:48AM »

---snip---

Dave...

When you're going to meet Alex, let me know. I work with him a lot and he sounds even better now that he's playing the Lawler. I am interested in the horns. We work together but I have never had a chance to actually play his Lawler stuff because I don't like to confuse my chops on a gig. I'd like to join you.

Later...

Sam

P.S. Alex has all of my contact info.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
DaveAshley

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2017, 03:49PM »

When you're going to meet Alex, let me know. I work with him a lot and he sounds even better now that he's playing the Lawler. I am interested in the horns. We work together but I have never had a chance to actually play his Lawler stuff because I don't like to confuse my chops on a gig. I'd like to join you.
I'm doing the Southampton - New York run on the Queen Mary 2, and I have just a few visits to NY.  We'll be at Red Hook, Brooklyn on Monday, but we have a coast guard inspection/drill and my shore time will be very limited. I'm looking at having Alex visit on Wed. May 31st aboard the ship.  I won't be able to get off the ship that day (port manning duty), but I can have up to four visitors. You can eat for free, and we should be able to get a nice big room to play in. Get in touch with Alex -- I'll need passport info and address, but you can pool that with Alex.

The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2017, 06:13AM »

We work together but I have never had a chance to actually play his Lawler stuff because I don't like to confuse my chops on a gig. I'd like to join you.

Later...

Sam

That made me laugh. As great a player as you are Sam, I find it hard to believe that your chops would get confused! Seriously though, I know what you mean, but I suspect they'd be delightfully confused, if only for a while. ;-)

Scott Bentall-Freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
1935 Williams "L" Arrowhead
Conn 71H
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2017, 09:48AM »

That made me laugh. As great a player as you are Sam, I find it hard to believe that your chops would get confused! Seriously though, I know what you mean, but I suspect they'd be delightfully confused, if only for a while. ;-)

You have no idea...

It's the doubling thing, I think. I play so many rims on a regular basis...from 12C right on down to large tuba...that unless I am playing the same m'pce and performing the same general function (Idiomatically and in terms of volumes and ranges) day after day after day, whatever my balance may be on a gig can be drastically confused by messing around with other m'pces. I save that for the occasional no-pressure rehearsal and of course practicing at home.

So it goes...

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Sid

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2017, 11:35AM »

One question/issue for others with a current Lawler - do you find the distance between the slide and bell (especially with an 8" flare) closer than other instruments you play? I had to adjust my right hand position somewhat to avoid bumping the bell as I play - I've adjusted now and it only happens rarely.

Also - Roy has posted his recommended set-up on his website - he endorses an all yellow brass configuration there. I'm very happy with my current set-up... but I was just curious if others have come across this on his site.

Regarding the distance from the bell and slide - yes - I had to learn to adjust my right hand grip ever so slightly. I figured he uses the smaller flares when measuring the gap between the flare rim and slide. Not a big deal really, just something to get used to.

And as far as the all brass setup, I liked it for the complete bell section over having a nickel gooseneck. Something about it spoke more for me than the other.
RJMason

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2017, 03:32PM »

Talked to Alex last week too...I still have my Lawler which I love, but I've been rocking the Wayne Andre conn 6H bell I have with a new Butler carbon fiber slide and the Lawler 15 leadpipe...maybe everyone can try everything out! Think I'll be home May 31st if you end up having an extra visitor slot.

I'm touring with a pop country band out of Nashville this summer so hoping to take a few trips to Roy's shop and try out some new stuff...I really want him to put an f Attachment on a .508 horn for me.... ;-))))

-Ray

Bach LT36BG
Conn 6H with Butler Carbon Fiber Slide
B.A.C. Custom King 3BF w/ Williams rotor
Lawler .500 Bore
Conn 72H
Olds Flugabone
Bach16G

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2017, 04:57AM »

One minor question - what number is stamped on the bottom of your slide hand grip? Mine is 16.

Not sure what the significance is for this number?

Just curious...
Sid

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2017, 08:16AM »

I'm touring with a pop country band out of Nashville this summer so hoping to take a few trips to Roy's shop and try out some new stuff...I really want him to put an f Attachment on a .508 horn for me.... ;-))))

Hoping for a .525 with an F attachment myself. Even requested it to Roy and all that was said was that he was looking into it. Would love to see that come to fruition one day.
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2017, 02:52PM »

Hoping for a .525 with an F attachment myself. Even requested it to Roy and all that was said was that he was looking into it. Would love to see that come to fruition one day.
===

It will. Hang in there.

----

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2017, 02:54PM »

One minor question - what number is stamped on the bottom of your slide hand grip? Mine is 16.

Not sure what the significance is for this number?

Just curious...
-----

Mine is stamped 16 too. I don't know what it means. Probably a parts numbering system that Roy uses.

====

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
DaveAshley

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2017, 04:34PM »

Mine is also stamped '16'  Don't know I started to think maybe it stands for the year it was built, but didn't you get yours in 2015, Scott?

I switched to the gold 7 3/4 for one set last night.  No go.  Went back to the bronze.  It sounds killer with the tenor sax player next to me. Gutsy & punchy, yet smooth and creamy when I need it to be.
I'm sticking mostly with the Kanstul S pipe as well.  I need to try the W6 at some point.  Apparently it's the same size venturi, just a different placement. (Maybe a different length, too?). I do find some leadpipes (including the S)  difficult to get in and out of the slide. I use a wrench, and it's eating up the knurling on the ring.

Ray, I should be able to get you on the ship on the 31st. Talk to Alex about it - He knows what information I need to put in the request.  I'll need that by the 27th at the very latest.  I can't guarantee 100% we'll have an open room the whole time, but we should be able to find a spot. It's one thing to have a chat, it's another thing to have three or four strong trombone players all going to town at once!

The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2017, 12:12PM »

Mine is also stamped '16'  Don't know I started to think maybe it stands for the year it was built, but didn't you get yours in 2015, Scott?

I switched to the gold 7 3/4 for one set last night.  No go.  Went back to the bronze.  It sounds killer with the tenor sax player next to me. Gutsy & punchy, yet smooth and creamy when I need it to be.
I'm sticking mostly with the Kanstul S pipe as well.  I need to try the W6 at some point.  Apparently it's the same size venturi, just a different placement. (Maybe a different length, too?). I do find some leadpipes (including the S)  difficult to get in and out of the slide. I use a wrench, and it's eating up the knurling on the ring.

-------

He already uses a date stamp for the serial number so I kind of doubt it, but I'll ask him next time I speak with him. I used the "S" pipe in my Kanstul 1606 until I tried the "H6" and that's what I use in it all of the time, though I rarely play the Kanstul anymore. Both the "S" and "H6" were too tight for me in my Lawler so that's how I settled on the "W6" and am very satisfied with that set-up. And yes, the "W6" is a tad shorter than the "S".

I also sent my huge collection of leadpipes to Merlin Grady, repairman extraordinaire, and had him straighten all of them on the lathe. It makes a difference, because there is no chance of torquing the tube and throwing the alignment off. I'd suggest removing a bit of material so the pipe isn't so tight.

=====

Scott Bentall-Freelance
Lawler .500 bore
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
Williams 6 (Bob)
Conn 71H
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: