Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087130 Posts in 71988 Topics- by 19235 Members - Latest Member: Grandpa Trashville
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-Chat(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Fire Drill Ruins Concert
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fire Drill Ruins Concert  (Read 3031 times)
« on: Feb 12, 2003, 12:10PM »

Today at my school we had the pleasure of hosting the Illinois State University Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble with Chris Vadala as a special guest.

Right during one Valada's amazing sax solos, the fire alarm went off. No one really knew what to do, and the jazz ensemble actually kept on playing for a short bit. Everyone eventually had to file out of the auditorium though.

The worst part is that my school's administration knew about the fire drill. It was planned! Arrrgggghhhhh!  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2003, 12:32PM »

You know, that really really sucks Tubone.  I can't believe your school's administrators would knowingly plan a fire drill for that time, and let that happen instead of moving it to another time/date   .  That's definately not a good way to get university bands (or any bands for that matter) to visit your school.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2003, 01:49PM »

quote:
That's definately not a good way to get university bands (or any bands for that matter) to visit your school.
Indeed. It must have been very embarrassing for my school's band directors. ISU is both their alma matter, and they knew the conductors very well.
Turkbone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2003, 02:48PM »

I can't beleive your school's administrators too !
Plan nonsense.

"Come, come again, whoever you are, come!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2003, 03:23PM »

Alternate headline:

Concert Ruins Fire Drill

Yes, it isn't funny. They should have held it a couple days earlier, to remind the locals in case there really was a fire.

Maybe you should get a small group together and go serenade (nicely, please!!! don't just blat) whoever thought of it at home at 0-dark-30 or so.  
Chang
Gas Sucks, Ride a Bike

"Does Your ComBadge Spin? I think not!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2003, 03:39PM »

well, at least you got to listen to a college band, my administrators would never think of letting a college band come to our school. we are lucky the band program is still alive, lucky us we have good parents.

Daniel Vore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2003, 07:27PM »

speaking of that sort of thing....a year ago, I was at JanFest at UGA (a honor band type of thing) and they had a trombone player come and perform. I wish for the life of me I could remember his name right now. Anyway, he was playing "Arrows of Time" with the UGA symphonic band. In the middle of the last movement, all of a sudden the crowd starts to yell, scream, and take lots of pictures (not too sure why). The performer thought it was to cheer him on, so he gave a small wave during a rest. (it was after an amazing little run)

People were pointing and whatnot, and so he looked up at the ceiling. Turns out, one of the stage lights was on fire almost directly above him. As people were filing out of the hall, he and the band finished the piece without a glitch. Looking back on it, it was a really cool thing to see. A great concert that night.
MoeTrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2003, 08:07PM »

Reminds me of our school last year. They were in the midst of building a new wing and for some reason, felt compelled to test the fire alarm system FOR THE WHOLE SCHOOL ceaselessly. We ended up having to put up with it 3-6 times a day. It only lasted for about 5-10 seconds at a time, and was hindering both the faculty's teaching and the students' sleeping. Extremely loud and annoying, you never got used to it. When the band rehearsed, we played right on through them and someone even determined what pitch they beeped at. Good thing we never had concerts at the school itself, as we didn't (still don't) have a real auditorium.

"Don't look at the trombones. It only encourages them." -Strauss
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2003, 06:43AM »

When I was in school there was a kid that liked to pull the fire alarm.  He got caught a couple of times.  We called him Sparkey.  His real name was Paul.
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2003, 06:47AM »

When my brother was at UMass, he lived in a huge 22-story dorm called John Adams.  The folks there used to trip on acid and pull the fire alarm a lot.  They also used to ride on top of the elevators and jump from one to the other.  One kid missed.
Driswood

"It's better to be smart than intelligent""

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2003, 07:24AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Tubone:
Today at my school we had the pleasure of hosting the Illinois State University Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble with Chris Vadala as a special guest.

Right during one Valada's amazing sax solos, the fire alarm went off. No one really knew what to do, and the jazz ensemble actually kept on playing for a short bit. Everyone eventually had to file out of the auditorium though.

The worst part is that my school's administration knew about the fire drill. It was planned! Arrrgggghhhhh!    

This just proves the "Peter Principle" - A person will rise to the level of their incompetence. Being in education, I find that to be true too many times! And if a school administrator will pull something like that, imagine what superintendants do!!!!

Jerry Walker

"Give a beggar a horse & he'll run over you"

"Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine you're a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" Mark Twain

'65 Bach 34B
Blowhard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2003, 08:00AM »

After the fire drill, did the concert resume?

- Al (The OTJ Poster formerly known as Al)
Trombone Spelling 101:
rhythm embouchure tongue tonguing diaphragm repertoire
http://members.cox.net/jazztrombone
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2003, 11:41AM »

Everyone got back in pretty quickly, partly because of the 10 degree or so temps outside, but mostly because the jazz ensemble was so good.

Sadly, Valada was right in the middle of a song he had written for a friend of his who had died in a car accident. They did not complete the song.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: