Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083568 Posts in 71818 Topics- by 19123 Members - Latest Member: AU Tico
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Driver's Ed  (Read 3917 times)
« on: Feb 09, 2003, 12:36PM »

I just got back from driving for 3 hours with my driver's ed instructor and that **** used the break on me for no real reason, in my opinion...Has anyone had this kind of experience before?
Matt Rich

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2003, 12:58PM »

Hey, don't worry about it, he was just being cautious.  Besides I don't get my license for almost three months after my birthday because I couldn't take Driver's Ed until the summer, and... most of my friends either went into a ditch or hit a dog while they were driving. Having your instructor use the brake really isn't that bad...

Matt

Remember - Spit happens
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2003, 01:15PM »

ya, i had to do driver's ed today too.  the girl that i was driving with started driving on the wrong side of the road... quite interesting to say the least.  but don't worry about the break thing. at least you know that they're paying attention...

-Erin
Andrew

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2003, 02:01PM »

Mine did it to me last week. He said he was testing my reflexes but in the middle of highway 35?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2003, 02:15PM »

I never took Driver Ed!  I just waited until I was 18 to get my license because I was too lazy to take the class.  I was spared from driving with a double-brake pedal car!  woohoo!

---   ---   ---
Music For Life
---   ---   ---

-=Nate
Frank B
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2003, 02:25PM »

mine used the brake one time. almost caused us to get in a wreck with that brake, as someone was tailgating me. he seemed to think that if you had a car pulling out of a side street maybe 150 meters in front of you, you could not softly brake and coast, but had to squeal the tires....  

but I also scared him back... I had a tendency to drift when I was just learning to drive. driving on I-40... 18 wheeler right beside me... drifting slowly towards him(he was on the same side the instructor was on). needless to say the instructor grabbed the wheel a couple times  
Joe_Guarr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2003, 04:05PM »

Driver's Ed was not completely torturous for me, but it came close. Two hours in a classroom every day for three weeks, plus drives with a bunch of old guys who don't like it when you go the speed limit (too fast).

But up here in Michigan we have a segmented program. Segment I lasts three weeks, then you take a written test and are given your learners permit. The test includes such questions as, "You see a stop sign. What should you do?"

You then have to collect 30 hours of driving time, then you go for segment two, which is just three days of classroom. The final day ends with a showing of the fabled Red Asphalt safety video. Gruesome.

Another 20 hours, and you can take your road test, which is fairly easy. You're allowed 25 mistakes, which is actually a lot harder to collect than it seems. So after that, you get to go sit at the DMV for up to 2 hours before getting a picture taken that will haunt you for years to come.

Joe Guarr
--------------------
"Life without music is a mistake." --Nietzsche
jwt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2003, 11:27AM »

Can you still wait till your 18 in Texas and not take driver's ed?
Tralle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2003, 11:34AM »

when I took drivers ed my instructor fell asleep half the time.  You actually get feedback.  This guy kinda grunted.  I still preferred him to driving with my dad.  If my dad had a brake on his side he would have used it often.

Andrew Tralle
http://andrewtralle.com
Music Education and Performance Major at University of Minnesota Morris
Lead Bone - UMM Jazz I
Principal Trombone - UMM Concert Band
Frank B
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2003, 01:47PM »

quote:
Originally posted by boss006:
Can you still wait till your 18 in Texas and not take driver's ed?

I think you can do that in all states. however the insurance rate will be higher...
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2003, 02:53PM »

I remember one particular occasion whilst learning to drive. I was calmly sitting, and indicating, and waiting to turn right, with traffic coming towards me, when the instructor suddenly grabbed at the wheel and started shouting "More gas, more gas!!". I thought, "Pardon?". It turned out that I'd actually come to rest in the wrong lane, so that the traffic coming towards me was in fact coming AT me! Oooops.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2003, 07:02PM »

Well, after hearing all of your stories, I guess I have been lucky so far.  I have one more class session, and two more in-car sessions to go, and I have not had any  too bad experiences...  --At least not yet...  
kenleeau
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2003, 07:51PM »

Ah, the memory!        

Most of you folks have never had the sheer pleasure of learning to drive a Volkswagon Squareback or in the sugar sand of an orange grove.

My Dad thought that if I could learn to drive a stickshift in sugar sand, the road would not be a problem.

He was right, but I did a bit of digging in the meantime.

By the time I had to take Driver's Ed in summer school, I had already been driving all over Central Florida in that souped-up VW of my Dad's for a good seven months, even to towing and launching our boat.

The "instructor" slamming on the brakes was the first I knew of that second pedal being there.

I thought the rear wheels had locked up.

When the "instructor" slammed on the brakes, I was executing a right-angle left-hand turn going DOWN a steep hill with a lake at the bottom of it.

When Bozo-boy hit the brakes (thinking I was going too fast the make the turn), the car started to spin, so I cranked it over further to MAKE it spin until it was backing down the hill  (the only way to get the front brakes to have any effect when the rear ones are sliding downhill).

Fortunately, that brand-new 1972 Pontiac Firebird spun a lot slower than the VW.

After recovering from his near heart attack and demanding to know what the Hades I thought I was doing, he got an earful on physics, friction, dynamic forces, slip angles, suspension geometry and stiction that I had no idea I knew.

Seems that good ol' Dad liked to "babble" while I was digging and driving......

First time in my life I ever argued with an adult on an equal footing..... and won.
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2003, 08:34PM »

I had a wacky drivers education instructor.  I never got my license when I was a teenager, but when I was around 20, I decided that I wanted to learn how to drive.  I was in the Navy at the time.  I was going to Nuclear Power School in Orlando, Florida.  I got this guys number out of the phone book.  He came over with this huge Crown Victoria.  It was a boat.  He must have had a deviant streak to expect people to learn how to drive with such a beast.  He had it rigged up with a gas pedal and a break on the passenger side.  He never used the break on me, but he used the gas pedal once.  Anyway, the guy was very greasy looking, and he didnt smell too good either.  He chain-smoked the whole time that he was teaching me how to drive.  He had me drive to the strangest parts of Orlando.  Anyway, I got my license, and I have only lost it twice since then.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2003, 11:48AM »

Yeah, once when I was driving with my instructor, he told me to change lanes, only realizing that when we got over, that lane ended... and so he slammed on the brake as hard as he could... later, when he dropped me off, he took points off my grade for the day for it!  What a ******!
Anyway, has anyone ever noticed that they never slowly put on the brake?  They always slam their foot down as hard as they can!  Kinda' makes me wonder what kind of driver they are when they're alone.
ScottieVan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2003, 06:19PM »

Yup....my instructor had this thing about asking you to "turn left", but on a one way street going right. One student just didn't get it and we (the other two students in the back) would ride with our hands in front of us, up against the seat to prepare for the frequent locking of the brakes by the instructor.

Scott

"Good things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: