Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087132 Posts in 71988 Topics- by 19235 Members - Latest Member: Grandpa Trashville
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Valentines gift?  (Read 14170 times)
bickle
Formerly titled by the Walt

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2003, 05:51PM »

Best idea I ever had was leaving roses in her viola case, back when she was Prospective Girlfriend rather than Beloved Wife.

Acourse, she was kinda mad that she couldn't find her viola, but I gave it back.

Honest.
Daniel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2003, 06:33PM »

...ooh, good one.

I'm going to have to try that.  Thanks for the suggestion, bickle!

Daniel
"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" -Voltaire
Frank B
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2003, 06:34PM »

maybe next time put the flowers inside the viola ! wonder if she'll still love it...
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2003, 07:00PM »

what do ya'll think about cookies?? food is always the way to a guys heart, right??  

-Erin
SLewis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2003, 07:15PM »

How about a candy tie?  I was only thinking about guys getting tired of the same old tie for concerts.  (The wind symphony wears coat and tie, though.)  I've seen ties with music pictures but only brass without trombones.  
Erin,the cookies idea sounds good.  Are you going to buy or bake?

If hummingbirds were the size of crows,
it wouldn't be safe to go in the woods.
-Ogden Nash
bickle

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2003, 01:19PM »

quote:
Originally posted by EdandMe:
what do ya'll think about cookies?? food is always the way to a guys heart, right??  

-Erin

Oooooooooh, bake bake bake! I could go for a big pile of snickerdoodles!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2003, 02:27PM »

i bake, of course.  That'll be good.  He told me today, that he wouldn't mind getting something somewhat girly, so, i'll get him a rose or something to go with the yummy yummy cookies.  Thanks for all the help guys (and gals!)!

-Erin

p.s. today is my boyfriend's and mine 10th month avviersary!
Joe_Guarr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2003, 04:17PM »

quote:
Originally posted by trombone_mania:
I have a college audition on Valentine's Day.  Hah....good thing I don't have a girlfriend~

I've got an honors band...the entire weekend. And I DO have a girlfriend...

Flowers go over VERY well with most women. As a guy, I've never received flowers...but here's an idea. Look up the significance of a few flowers, and put them together in a nice arrangment. You could do an internet search on what each flower symbolizes. Just be sure not to get one that symbolizes "Friendship" or "hatred"

Joe Guarr
--------------------
"Life without music is a mistake." --Nietzsche
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2003, 05:21PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Guarr:
You could do an internet search on what each flower symbolizes. Just be sure not to get one that symbolizes "Friendship" or "hatred"

Or Death....    
what kind of flower would symoblize hatred?? (out of curiosity) it would prolly be a dead one. hee hee. Thanks for the info.  Sorry to hear about your Honor band thing, that sucks.  But, you could always give her... FLOWERS!!!    

-Erin
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2003, 05:35PM »

hmm well i found one color rose that i shouldn't get.  it turns out that if you get a whilted white rose, it means that you're ugly.  and if you get a dried white rose it means that Death is preferable to loss of virtue.  (i dunno if that last one is good or bad.  But i thought that that was interesting that a rose could tell you that you're ugly...

-Erin
Frank B
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2003, 05:37PM »

ok, I can my first post. what a guy would really like is a kiss, a smile, and COOKIES!!!! yes, the cookies is a very good idea. especially snickerdoodles  
Jeff Albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Feb 04, 2003, 05:38PM »

I had a friend that worked in a flower shop.  A couple days before Valentine's day a guy walked in and told her he neede something that says "I like you a lot."  Not quite "I love you," just "I like you a lot."  She showed him a few things, then finally he saw something he liked and said, "that's perfect...I'll take two."

bickle

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 04, 2003, 05:42PM »

quote:
Originally posted by EdandMe:

what kind of flower would symoblize hatred?? (out of curiosity)

Wull.... if you went back to 16th century England, and had on the wrong color rose.....
rlb
Demiurge

"Hails of derisive laughter, Bruce!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2003, 07:36PM »

*ROTFL*  Omigod, a real Renaissance history reference.  Bow down to the great and mighty Bickle.  You be a Yorkist or Lancastrian, Sir Bick?  [Editor's note: One of my all-time _favorite_ board games remains to this day an old Avalon Hill bookshelf game called "Kingmaker;" if anyone is familiar with it an anywhere near Houston, EMAIL ME and we'll set up a weekend to play!]

*the King o' Useless Information raises his ugly, bespectacled, bearded haid*

As a matter of fact, I did a fair amount of research on this esoteric bit of Victoriana a few years ago; here's an extract from my findings (which, of course, conflicted in some places.)  Generally speaking, dead or withered flowers communicate the "drop dead, I hate yer guts" feeling pretty well, but contrary to popular opinion, a black flower does NOT mean "I hate you;" rather, it means "farewell."

Victorian rose color meanings:
Burgandy: Unconscious beauty
Coral: Desire
Lavender: Enchantment, love at first sight
Leaves: Hope
Moss Rose: Confession of love
Orange: Fascination
Pale colored rose: Friendship
Dark pink: Admiration, thankfulness
Light pink: Perfect happiness, joy and grace
Red: Love, passion, respect
Red buds: Pure and lovely
Tea roses: I still love you
White: Innocence, purity, secrecy
White buds: Too young for love, girlhood
Yellow: Friendship, joy, in Victorian times, jealousy

Now, on to the "I hate you" bit.  *warms to topic*

The Victorians, being the repressed people that they were, used the flower code to communicate secretly through nosegays and bouquets. The meanings attached to flowers was not always positive--after all, you had to secretly reject suitors as well as encourage them. Here is a selection of some of the "darker" meanings in the flower code, so the next time you want to tell someone to "drop dead", Just Think Flowers (tm).

If you want to be obvious, sending withered flowers indicates rejected love, and dead leaves indicate sadness. Both striped and yellow carnations mean "no" or "rejection", but yellow carnations carry the additional implication "disdain" and "You have disappointed me". Variegated pinks (dianthus) also mean rejection. Yellow chrysanthemums mean "dejection" and "slighted love". If your message is one of "misanthropy", then aconite (wolfsbane) and teazel are both appropriate.

If you must send roses...

Besides "jealousy", yellow roses can also mean "decrease of love". Carolina roses mean "Love is dangerous", white withered roses mean "transient impression, fleeting beauty"
Dried white roses mean "Death is preferable to the loss of virtue."  A garland or crown of roses mean "Beware of virtue." If you send both York and Lancaster roses, it means "conflict".

Do you have a rocky relationship? Hemlock means "You will be the death of me". Mandrake says "I wound to soothe". Marigolds are "cruelty in love, despair, grief". Rhododendrons mean "Beware, I am dangerous", and tuberoses are "dangerous pleasures". (Tube roses...heh heh heh)

Does your loved one have a few faults? Crown imperials mean "arrogance and pride of birth", daffodils and narcissus mean "vanity", and darnel means "vice". Clotbur or xanthium is "rudeness". Horseshoe geraniums or nuts are "stupidity". Meadowsweet is "uselessness", and mistletoe is "You are a parasite". Lettuce is "cold-hearted". Nettles mean "slander" or "You are spiteful". Monarda (bee-balm) says "Your whims are unbearable".

Are you angry? Send petunias, peonies, or furze. Jealous? You have a selection of flowers: adder's-tongue, purple or yellow hyacinths, yellow roses. If you want to say "falsehood" or "deception", you could send snapdragons, apocynum, dogbane, foxglove, or manchineel. Laurel is "perfidy and treachery". The result of all these problems? Give pennyroyal if you want to say "You had better go", anemones if you mean "estrangement", and achillea or milford if you mean "war".

So how do you say "I hate you?" Basil or orange lilies. Of course, you may need to send along a copy of this post to be sure they get the message.    

Dr. Richard L. Byrd, Forum Director
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
   --Bertrand Russell, 1950
Frank B
« Reply #34 on: Feb 04, 2003, 07:41PM »

quote:
Originally posted by rlb:
*the King o' Useless Information raises his ugly, bespectacled, bearded haid*

so true.

but nothing says "I hate you" like a kick in the jewel and a smack across the face with the thorny stems of a dozen roses.
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2003, 12:00AM »

Flowers are nice, but to have to cart one around all day is not so nice.

Frank came up with the best Idea.  A hug and a kiss will be appreciated the most and remembered the longest.
Patrick Bates

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2003, 01:26AM »

You could do what we're doing. Dinner and dancing to the finest big band this side of Toronto! (I'm the bass bone:D). It's a fundraiser for our local community band program. We run a free band school on saturday mornings ten months a year, so finding a fun way to raise money like this is great! Everyone's invited!

Last Bone
SLewis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Feb 05, 2003, 04:49AM »

RLB,
Thanks for all the flower nosegay information.  But, all my favorites mean someone doesn't like me?  Oh dear    .  
I like any kind of lavender/purple flower and most unusual roses, particularly yellow roses.  In the spring we have spider/toad lilies in bloom, touch-me-not balsam and hawaiin ginger lilies all summer long(great perfumy smell after dark).  So a flower expert might not like them but I do.

If hummingbirds were the size of crows,
it wouldn't be safe to go in the woods.
-Ogden Nash
« Reply #38 on: Feb 05, 2003, 08:33AM »

Go here for the most interesting discussion of the Victorian Languange of Flowers I found. Below is a **Conversation** cribbed straight from the site. BTW, Frank is sending RHM a Yellow Acacia (hee hee!). I'm sending him an African Marigold.  

Amethyst, Meadow lychnis, Moss rosebud:
You're so clever! I have to admit - I love you.

Betony, Marjoram, Southernwood, Spiderwort:
???? I'm surprised, and very embarrassed. I was only joking. I like you, but don't love you.

Vine, Great Bindweed, Almond (Common), Mimosa:
You were drunk and misled me, and that was very thoughtless of you. I can't handle such behavior.

Humble Plant, Clotbur, Henbane, Bee Ophrys, Hazel:
I'm miserable to think that I was such an oaf. But nobody's perfect. Please forgive me.

Yellow Tulip, Cloves, Fir, Swallow-wort:
Love you though I may, I can keep my act together, and time will heal my sorrow.

Volkamenia, Flos Adonis, Acalia:
May you be happy. I'll remember this and try not to get so foolishly drunk in the future.

Arbor Vitae, Hyacinth, Convolvulus Major:
I will always be your friend, and share good times with you. I no longer harbor any hope for more.
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Feb 05, 2003, 08:43AM »

Hey, some of those could come in handy. Especially the "Arbor Vitae, Hyacinth, Convolvulus Major" combo.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: