Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066774 Posts in 70911 Topics- by 18693 Members - Latest Member: Marvin.neal62
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wake Up, America: Take 3  (Read 27409 times)
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:02AM »

Considering over the course of his campaign, Trump promised most sides of most issues... it'd be hard for him NOT to do what he promised at some point. Though he'd still be breaking campaign promises right and left regardless.

The wall is a funny one. How is he going to get mexico to pay for it again? Seems like the Mexican president just cancelled his visit thanks to poor politicking on Trump's part.

Or wait, are we going to start a trade war with our three largest trading partners, and delude ourselves that we won't get hurt by it?

OUR GDP is currently something like 18.5 trillion. Exports make up 1.5 trillion of that, and imports 2.2 trillion. Which basically puts direct trade at 20% of GDP, not to get into downstream impacts. That's a whole lot to screw up right there...

I think it's pretty clear who's running the show. LOL!

You guys need to catch a breath!

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:30AM »

I think it's pretty clear who's running the show. LOL!
You lost me after the first two words there, DD. Not so sure you do. ;-)

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:39AM »

Thank you for that. I'll think about it.

Energy City Big Band
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #803 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:44AM »

Strike one, B0B

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:00AM »

Guess we should just stick to HAHAHA posts that vaguely mock other posters without saying much else then.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #805 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:00AM »

This proposal to pay for a wall using a special tax levied on Mexican imports is not a good idea. It will only penalize US consumers of Mexican imports.

Considering all of Trump's business failings and bankruptcies, it doesn't give me confidence that he has a clue as to what he is doing.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #806 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:02AM »

Guess we should just stick to HAHAHA posts that vaguely mock other posters without saying much else then.

Of course there is the 'yeah right' emoticon.   Yeah, RIGHT.

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:09AM »

This proposal to pay for a wall using a special tax levied on Mexican imports is not a good idea. It will only penalize US consumers of Mexican imports.

Considering all of Trump's business failings and bankruptcies, it doesn't give me confidence that he has a clue as to what he is doing.

You have to learn how to read Trump. He is trained to make outrageous demands to start the negotiation process. That serves several purposes. The president of Mexico is already taking heat from his citizens, because the Peso is dropping faster than a rocket surgeon.

Energy City Big Band
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #808 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:00AM »

The price of new construction will be going up if the new 20% tariff passes.  Much of our cement, steel, and gypsum comes from Mexico.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:26AM »

The price of new construction will be going up if the new 20% tariff passes.  Much of our cement, steel, and gypsum comes from Mexico.

To note, taxing mexican imports would also mean pulling out of NAFTA (and our trade relationship with Canada) in order to add a new domestic tax (which would cause issues with us and the WTO) to pay for a wall even his new cabinet pick for that department says is ineffective and a waste of money. And mexico STILL wouldn't pay for it... We would.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:07PM »

The thing that we we have to remember is that any border tax is paid by us.

Immigration from Mexico has slowed to a crawl--it's basically at net zero for quite some time now. So the wall and the border tax are basically huge, messy, costly solutions to a minor, controllable problem, like swatting a fly with a Howitzer.

The Carrier deal is a perfect example. It cost Indiana taxpayers $7 million (that's why Pence didn't make the same deal before, when he could have). In the end it saved fewer jobs than were lost when Ringling Bros. folded.

If Trump's going to keep his promises, he should veto bills that mess with SS and Medicare, provide universal medical coverage, and insist that drug companies negotiate prices with the government. And release his tax returns.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06:12AM »

Onward and downward.........

Leninist

Well, week two of the Drumpf regime was no better than week one. It would be impossible in this limited venue to list all the disasters wrought on the American people and our government this week, so I will stick to two that are inter-related.

The scarier of the two was the removal of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Director of National Intelligence from the Principals Committee of the NSC and replacing them with Presidential Strategist Steve Bannon. Bannon has been quoted as saying; “I’m a Leninist. Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.”

Coupled with the bromance between Drumpf and Putin, and Russia’s involvement in our election this is an ominous turn. Frederick Forsythe nor John LeCarre could devise such a twisted plot.

Early in the week, pandering to the small-minded hate and fear of the typical Drumpf supporter, the President signed an Executive Order “temporarily” banning travel to the United States by ALL citizens from seven Muslim majority countries in the Middle East, and indefinitely suspending the issuance of refugee visas to persons fleeing the conflict in Syria.

As with every action taken by the new administration it was poorly thought out and disastrously implemented. Affected departments were not given advance notice the Order was coming, and the roll out resulted in mass confusion and disruption at airports throughout the USA and around the world. 

Many people with every right to enter the US were detained at airports, denied boarding privileges at airports around the world, or put on flights returning them to their country of origin. The lack of governmental experience in this administration was painfully obvious in this debacle.

This order is a disaster. First of all, there has NEVER BEEN an attack in this country by a person allowed in through the existing vetting process for refugees, NOR FROM ANY of the seven countries listed in the order. The countries that HAVE generated attacks in this country ARE NOT included. Kind of ironic that Drumpf has business dealings in all of them. Coincidence?

Secondly, this order plays directly into the hands of the jihadists of ISIS and Al Qaeda whose main recruiting pitch is that the USA is waging a war against Islam.

You can’t make this stuff up. Lenin would be proud!

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #812 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:57AM »

Onward and downward.........

Leninist

Well, week two of the Drumpf regime was no better than week one. It would be impossible in this limited venue to list all the disasters wrought on the American people and our government this week, so I will stick to two that are inter-related.

The scarier of the two was the removal of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Director of National Intelligence from the Principals Committee of the NSC and replacing them with Presidential Strategist Steve Bannon. Bannon has been quoted as saying; “I’m a Leninist. Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.”

Coupled with the bromance between Drumpf and Putin, and Russia’s involvement in our election this is an ominous turn. Frederick Forsythe nor John LeCarre could devise such a twisted plot.

Early in the week, pandering to the small-minded hate and fear of the typical Drumpf supporter, the President signed an Executive Order “temporarily” banning travel to the United States by ALL citizens from seven Muslim majority countries in the Middle East, and indefinitely suspending the issuance of refugee visas to persons fleeing the conflict in Syria.

As with every action taken by the new administration it was poorly thought out and disastrously implemented. Affected departments were not given advance notice the Order was coming, and the roll out resulted in mass confusion and disruption at airports throughout the USA and around the world. 

Many people with every right to enter the US were detained at airports, denied boarding privileges at airports around the world, or put on flights returning them to their country of origin. The lack of governmental experience in this administration was painfully obvious in this debacle.

This order is a disaster. First of all, there has NEVER BEEN an attack in this country by a person allowed in through the existing vetting process for refugees, NOR FROM ANY of the seven countries listed in the order. The countries that HAVE generated attacks in this country ARE NOT included. Kind of ironic that Drumpf has business dealings in all of them. Coincidence?

Secondly, this order plays directly into the hands of the jihadists of ISIS and Al Qaeda whose main recruiting pitch is that the USA is waging a war against Islam.

You can’t make this stuff up. Lenin would be proud!

And Saudi Arabia wasn't included in the ban, yet the 9/11 conspirators were from that there
Ellrod

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:00AM »

Closer to home:

"Trump also will halt another of former President Barack Obama’s regulations, hated by the financial industry, that requires advisers on retirement accounts to work in the best interests of their clients. Trump’s order will give the new administration time to review the change, known as the fiduciary rule."

slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:14AM »

Closer to home:

"Trump also will halt another of former President Barack Obama’s regulations, hated by the financial industry, that requires advisers on retirement accounts to work in the best interests of their clients. Trump’s order will give the new administration time to review the change, known as the fiduciary rule."

Suddenly I am hearing the Twilight Zone theme
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:46AM »

THis week's column:

NEVER THE LESS, SHE PERSISTED

“She was warned, she was given an explanation. Never the less, she persisted”.

This is how Mitch McConnell justified the muzzling of Elizabeth Warren during the Attorney General conformation hearing of Jeff Sessions. It was a political gaffe history may someday mark as a pivot point in the pendulum swing of American politics.

Warren was in the process of reading a letter penned by civil rights icon Coretta Scott King excoriating nominee Sessions to the Senate during his Federal Judgeship confirmation hearing in 1986. A hearing, it should be noted, in which his appointment WAS NOT approved due to racially discriminatory actions he had undertaken as a Federal prosecutor and State Attorney General in Alabama.

In muzzling Warren, McConnell invoked Senate Rule XIX which states “no Senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator.” It’s an obscure rule, more than a century old, and evidenced more in the breach than by its application.

AS far as can be remembered, the last time it was invoked was in 1979 during an inconsequential dust-up between two back bench Senators. More recently, it WAS NOT invoked when Senator Ted Cruz called McConnell a liar on the floor of the Senate, or when VP Dick Cheney invited Senator Pat Leahy to perform an impossible sexual act on himself, or when Harry Reid called all the GOP Senators “Puppets” of GW Bush.

Amazingly, it was also not invoked, after Warren was censured, when four male Senators read the same letter in the same hearing. It would appear there is something special about Warren to the GOP (Government of Putin) leadership in the Senate. I suspect it is fear.

The reality of the episode is, it took an obscure letter from 30 years ago that would have gone largely unnoticed and gave it an immediate viral presence nationally. IT also gave Senator Warren a huge platform from which to espouse her views to an eager audience.

One thing we have seen since the inauguration of President Drumpf is the activation and mobilization of women against the long term misogyny demonstrated by Drumpf and his administration. As the old saying goes, “if Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy”.

McConnell has inadvertently coined the anthem for the new, Progressive resistance to Drumpfism……

“Never the less, She Persisted”.

Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: Feb 17, 2017, 06:02AM »

Onward.....

Who's Lying?

This should not shock anyone, but, Donald Trump is lying. The question is, Donald Sr. or Donald Jr? My money is on Drumpf, the elder.

In a long, rambling, Alternate-Fact ™ filled news conference yesterday, President Drumpf stated, "Russia is a ruse. I have nothing to do with Russia. Haven’t made a phone call to Russia in years. Don’t speak to people from Russia. Not that I wouldn’t. I just have nobody to speak to." So, there’s that.

But, in a 2008 speech to a real estate conference in NYC, Donald, the younger, said, “Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets. We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.” The statements are mutually exclusive. One or the other of them is an out and out lie.

Since the Drumpf’s, and their organization, had no ties to the US government in 2008, and the ties of the Drumpf campaign and administration to the Russian government are under scrutiny today, it would be hard to make a case for it being Donald Jr. who was prevaricating. He had no reason to.

His Dad, on the other hand, is dealing with an ever tightening web of evidence with the potential to blow up into a Constitutional crisis that will make Watergate seem like a shoplifting violation in comparison. One of his prime appointees has already been forced to resign over the issue, and several others are implicated in ongoing reporting.

Of course, the issue could be largely defused with the simple release of Drumpf’s tax returns. Presumably, they would show whether or not connections, and/or indebtedness, exist between Drumpf and the oligarchs of Russia. But, Drumpf continues to refuse to take this action every other President in the modern era has.

And, GOP (Government of Putin) Congressmen in the House have refused to invoke a 1924 law that would allow Congress to review those tax returns in closed session to determine if such conflicts of interest exist. They are too enamored of having a rubber stamp in the White House to put the interests of the American people above those of their party.

The same is true of the GOP (Government of Putin) leadership in the House and Senate, who are refusing to initiate a bi-partisan, select committee to investigate Drumpf’s ties to the Russians. It’s time for an Archibald Cox or Kenneth Starr.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:58AM »

I'm sure if he had nothing to hide he'd be very cooperative.  Makes me wonder what he is trying to keep from us.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: Feb 24, 2017, 06:25AM »

This week's Column......

Projection

“Psychological projection is a theory where people defend themselves against their own unconscious qualities by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.” (Wikipedia)

The best example of this in America today is the White House/ GOP (Government of Putin) claim the protests going on at Congressional town hall meetings are, “a very paid, astro-turf-type movement”. While there is no evidence this is true, it is a perfect description of how the TEA Party was formed.

After the drubbing the GOP (not the Government of Putin then) received in the 2008 election, Dick Armey, aided by the unlimited coffers of the Koch brothers, did, indeed, plant the seeds of the TEA Party by organizing and funding the town hall protests against the ACA in the summer of 2009. It was a common occurrence to see buses off-loading protesters who were provided with talking points, often lies like “death panels” and “socialized medicine”, to disrupt the meetings, and create the image of an unhappy electorate.

It was a truly manufactured movement that took months to germinate and grow into a political force. But, it worked. It inflamed the low-information base of the GOP (not the Government of Putin then) and turned them out in the 2010 mid-tem elections, reversing the changing balance of power 8 years of the Bush administration had engendered.

Today’s GOP (Government of Putin) is projecting that same astro-turf manufacturing onto the massive uprising the election of Drumpf has provoked. Nothing could be further from reality. This is a truly spontaneous eruption of denial and outrage from a populous shocked out of their lethargy by the election of one so unfit for the position.

In this case, there are no buses, there are no paid provocateurs, there is no outside funding. There are social media guidelines on how to organize and be effective posted by concerned ex-Congressional staffers, of both parties, and massive interest in how to really “take our country back”.

More than 3500 groups have already been formed, with more sprouting up every day, to resist the fascist agenda of the Drumpf regime. The organizational meeting for “Indivisible/ Deland” attracted more than 200 people in our little community.

At this point, neither party is in position to seize the energy of this tidal surge. Republicans are goose-stepping behind Drumpf, and the Dems are in complete disarray. But, the movement is real, and it will persist.

Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: Mar 03, 2017, 05:53AM »

This week's column...........

Recusal......

Yet another Drumpf surrogate finds himself in hot water over contacts with Russian agents during the recent Presidential campaign. This time it’s newly confirmed AG Jeff Sessions up to his neck in the lobster pot as he was discovered to have had more than one meeting with the Russian Ambassador after he swore, under oath during his confirmation hearing, he had no contacts at all.

While the nature of the contacts MAY be innocent and explainable by Sessions’ previous job, his omission of mentioning them during his testimony is troubling, if not actual perjury.  We recently had a President impeached for “lying under oath” about an issue far less significant to national security.

Sessions, in an effort to derail criticism, has already recused himself from any investigations involving the Drumpf campaign. Still, calls for his resignation from the spot he holds as the Chief Law Enforcement Official in the country are growing. Whether or not the lie was intentional, it was an untruth, and the AG should be held to the highest standard.

Some feel the Democrats “obsession” with the whole Russia issue will not benefit them in the long run when it comes to regaining leverage and control in Congress. They are missing the point.

No one can/ will say what ongoing investigations into Drumpf’s ties to Russia are being carried out by the FBI or other US Intelligence agencies, but there is massive digging being done by the free press, our Constitutionally protected protection against government criminality. That is the true issue here.

Russia is a long standing geo-political foe of the USA. The current government of Russia is an on-going criminal kleptocracy of massive proportions. Essentially, it’s a Mafia “Family” on steroids with nukes.

Drumpf’s ties to the oligarchs that make up the Government of Putin (the real one, not the shadow one the GOP has become) are being slowly and methodically uncovered. It is becoming more and more obvious why Drumpf can not release his tax returns.

Drumpf was lucky he never stiffed the wrong people in his shady dealings in NYC. He almost certainly dealt with folks who would have had him beaten and dumped in the East River. Putin, and his henchmen make those folks look like amateurs.

Drumpf’s relentless onslaught against the free press in this country is an attempt at deflection. It didn’t work for Nixon, and it won’t work for Drumpf.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43   Go Up
Print
Jump to: