Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1096560 Posts in 72524 Topics- by 19537 Members - Latest Member: philthomas
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Used Bach 50B3LO  (Read 749 times)
Amconk6
Jedi Master

"I'm a Big Fat Dynamo!"

View Profile
« on: Apr 04, 2016, 08:52PM »

Howdy all,

A local shop has a used Bach 50B3LO listed for sale that I'm interested in. Serial number is 165xxx. Mid to late 90s, or newer, I think?

I'm hoping to get down there to check out the horn in the next week, but had a few questions for the experts before I do.

Anything specific I should watch out for on these horns? Pending that it has decent valves and a good slide and is in overall good condition, what's a fair price for said horn? They're asking $2000. Should I try making a lower offer, or is that a pretty good price?

I used to play bass semi-professionally in the southern Oregon area, on a Getzen 1052FD. I had to sell it about 10 years ago (darn bills) and wish I never had. Oh well.  In high school i played a school owned Yamaha bass. I've never had the opportunity to play a Bach bass, how do they compare?

Tips?

Blessing B88 Artist
Yamaha 446G
King Tempo/605 hybrid
Schiller Bass Trombone (7B copy)
Columbia Gorge Wind Ensemble
Amconk6
Jedi Master

"I'm a Big Fat Dynamo!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2016, 12:29PM »

So I did a little searching on the forum, and it seems the consensus is that the 10.5" bell is considered less than desirable. But I couldn't see any particular reason why? So, why? Tone? Timbre? Projection?

Blessing B88 Artist
Yamaha 446G
King Tempo/605 hybrid
SethMatrix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2016, 12:35PM »

So I did a little searching on the forum, and it seems the consensus is that the 10.5" bell is considered less than desirable. But I couldn't see any particular reason why? So, why? Tone? Timbre? Projection?

Well if you found a consensus that 10.5" bells are less desirable than 9.5 inch bass bells. I'm sure the posts where you found this consensus talk about the reasons for why.

I think most would say it has to do with the projection and how the 10.5 inch bell changes the sound.

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2016, 12:38PM »

A 50B3LO is probably the last Bach I would buy (maybe after a 50B2LO). Big bell, open wrap indy valves. If they were selling for $1500 I would think about it, but $2000 is too much.

I have seen better horns on here recently in that price range.

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 42B, Denis Wick 3AL
Conn 6H, NY Bach 7
SethMatrix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2016, 12:39PM »

Howdy all,

A local shop has a used Bach 50B3LO listed for sale that I'm interested in. Serial number is 165xxx. Mid to late 90s, or newer, I think?

I'm hoping to get down there to check out the horn in the next week, but had a few questions for the experts before I do.

Anything specific I should watch out for on these horns? Pending that it has decent valves and a good slide and is in overall good condition, what's a fair price for said horn? They're asking $2000. Should I try making a lower offer, or is that a pretty good price?

I used to play bass semi-professionally in the southern Oregon area, on a Getzen 1052FD. I had to sell it about 10 years ago (darn bills) and wish I never had. Oh well.  In high school i played a school owned Yamaha bass. I've never had the opportunity to play a Bach bass, how do they compare?

Tips?

I'm sorry to see more people haven't answered your questions, they must have gotten lost in the flurry of posts.

On a Bach (or really any horn) I would make sure to have a repair tech look over it to make sure there are no huge problems they see. If it plays well and you like it, then it is good for you. I would try to get the shop owner to go down to 1600 or so dollars, but that is just me.

If i'm you why not get another Getzen 1052FD? They are pretty good horns, and regularly sell around that 2000 dollar price point. I would wait for another 1052fd.

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2016, 12:47PM »

A big bell tends to be more diffuse than a smaller bell.  Also, the Bach 10 1/2" bells tend to be easier to crinkle if you have an accident or don't treat them delicately.

I tried a 9 1/2" and a 10 1/2" King (7B vs. 8B) when I bought my bass and found the 9 1/2" to be better overall.

Then again, if "bigger is better" Evil

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Amconk6
Jedi Master

"I'm a Big Fat Dynamo!"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2016, 01:55PM »

Most of what I read just had statements like "the 9.5 is better" or "the 10.5 is a dog" etc. didn't really explain why.

Thanks for the input! I'd love another 1052fd but haven't located one yet.

Blessing B88 Artist
Yamaha 446G
King Tempo/605 hybrid
Amconk6
Jedi Master

"I'm a Big Fat Dynamo!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2016, 05:49PM »

Considering I've just started playing in a community ensemble where I'll need to double occasionally, and have 4 kids to feed, i'm giving serious consideration to ordering the Yamaha copy from Mack brass. I originally wanted to get a used US made brand but for the price, reputation and warranty, what do I have to lose on the Mack? Im not looking to get into the Boston Symphony Orchestra or anything... Yet.

Blessing B88 Artist
Yamaha 446G
King Tempo/605 hybrid
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2016, 07:33PM »

I understand that the Chinese bass that is a sorta copy of the King 7B is a better choice.  Feedback I've seen on here has been positive.  Some even say it's better than a real King 7B (I'd like to prove this out -- I have a King 7B).  I know that Wessex Tubas has one.  Don't know if Laabs does too.  And there are the generic Ebay sellers with them.  Thing is, if you buy from Wessex, or JP-Rath, you will get a horn that has been pre-checked and is ready to go.  Not sure if Jim Laabs does this as well.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: