Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088988 Posts in 71983 Topics- by 19325 Members - Latest Member: StanKenton69
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Other instruments...?  (Read 7505 times)
« on: Feb 18, 2003, 12:37PM »

So you play the trombone but what else do you play?  
Do you think this has helped your trombone playing?
I play steel pan too, which has no connection to trombone at all
SandyMBarrows
Sanctification in Progress

"Professor 'Add Junk'"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2003, 12:49PM »

I play piano, organ, guitar, banjo, upright and electric bass, flute, recorder (blockflote), and ukelele. YES this has helped my trombone playing...especially piano. Reading music and sight reading, not to mention the theory I learned from piano has made my life relatively simple on the trombone. I believe, aslo, that any experience one can gain from playing other instruments or singing will help round out your musicinaship. Regards.

Kindest regards, and BLESSED DAY!!
-Sandy
Retired Pilot, Instructor,
Freelance Low Brass DFW Area

Miraphone Soprano, Shires .547 TruBore, Michael Davis .495, Bass dependent TruBore
DE Mouthpieces/Giddings-Webster
Paul Fletcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2003, 01:05PM »

Hi Lauren

I play pan too, and teach it.  I also run a community band with a set of pans and horns - brass and saxes.  That's great fun.

I was playing trombone before pan, so I can't say the pan has helped my trombone, but you will find yourself at an advantage over those who don't play another instrument.  The great thing you learn playing pan is playing in a band.  And playing by ear.  And rhythm - in fact, everyone should play pan!  

Anyway, enjoy the trombone, it is THE BEST instrument, but don't stop playing pan.  

There is a connection by the way - both metal  

Paul

New website all about musical metal: gamelan, steel pan and brass - visit http://www.musicalmetal.com/
TimS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2003, 01:17PM »

I play piano as well, and I started playing it about 3 years before I started the trombone.  It was a lot easier to learn the trombone as I could already read music, and my piano teacher taught me some basic theory.  Plus, I can read parts in treble clef.

Tim Shneier
NYC-based freelancer
Remco

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2003, 01:38PM »

I've played the piano when I was young for quite some years. When I quit, my mother said I would be sorry and at that time I laughed at it. Later, I WAS sorry...
But it did teach me how to read the bass clef, which has helped me when I started on the trombone.
Furthermore, I play chess and Quake..  

Remco

---
Common sense is remarkably uncommon.
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2003, 01:56PM »

I play piano and I sing.  Both are important for all-around musical knowledge, which certainly helps playing other instruments.  I've actually studied voice and sung in professional ensembles; my singing is better than my trombone playing.  My degree is in conducting, which is something of a stretch to think of as an instrument.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2003, 02:18PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Lauren:
Do you think this has helped your trombone playing?
I play steel pan too, which has no connection to trombone at all

Steel pans? Cool.

I play electric bass and have ever since I heard Jaco Pastorius (who recorded with the great steel pans player Othello Molineaux) more than a decade ago.

Anyway, while playing bass I realized that it's not really any harder to play in one key than another and it's not really harder to play higher rather than lower. That made me approach my bass trombone playing and ask myself, "Why should (for instance) the key of B be so hard?" Once I realized that stuff shouldn't be "hard," then it really opened my playing to lots of other possibilities.

Good topic.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2003, 02:35PM »

Trombone is really my "second" instrument.

Piano is my main instrument.  I started playing at 5.  I also play other low brass instruments (Euphonium and Tuba), some trumpet, and accordion.  
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2003, 03:23PM »

quote:

Hmmmmm......nice avatar.
I play euphonium, piano and recorder. I think it helps trombone a bit.
Evan

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
Daniel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2003, 03:26PM »

Yeah, I play recorder, but not too well since 5th grade.  I don't play piano, but wish to God that my parents had made me take lessons.  Thats one thing I'm forcing my kids to do...

Daniel
"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" -Voltaire
Frank B
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2003, 03:39PM »

well...

what do I play? or maybe what Have I played. this could go back a ways...

I play decent piano as long as there isn't music in front of me        

ummm... Hammered Dulcimer. played it for a few years, then we moved far away from anyone at all who could tune it(that thing is NASTY to tune) and I couldn't stand it anymore after it got too far out of tune. I need to try and tune it again sometime. it's a beautiful insturment.

handbells and chimes. 4+ at a time is the most fun         my favorite was always the BIG bells.

voice. done that since... ooooh long time ago. maybe 10-13 years so far. picked it up as a little kid and have sung in various ensembes and church groups since. in fact, I just finished a perduction of "pirates of penzance" I sang in.

I also play euphonium in a band here at UNCG, for the grad student who conducts it and needed more low brass(has plenty of bones but not many euphs or tubas)

right now, whenever I have time I'm trying to learn horn so as to pass my brass methods test comming up Friday.

I can play percussion too         kindof... Timpani and gong are some of my favorites there

I think many of them have helped my trombone playing differently. piano has helped with chords and theory. percussion and handbells and hammered dulcimer... actually haven't helped too much        Voice helps alot with trombone, and trombone helps alot with voice. they are very similar. Euphonium has been- interesting to say the least with my playing. mostly because all my bad habits on trombone come back to really get me on euphonium(or atleast I can tell the bad things much easier). it inflames some problems I have with trombone but it also get me to fix them.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2003, 04:15PM »

I play a little Euphonium and I think that some of the more advanced parts helped a little bit with my rhythm reading.  As a trombone player I find that my parts tend to be simplistic, anyone else find this?
Frank B
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2003, 04:22PM »

quote:
Originally posted by jamns:
I play a little Euphonium and I think that some of the more advanced parts helped a little bit with my rhythm reading.  As a trombone player I find that my parts tend to be simplistic, anyone else find this?

in highschool level music? definatetly. so many whole notes and half notes and um-pah's. it's a little pet peeve of mine that it seems alot of easy music composers write almost as bad low parts as they do percussion. it's always flutes, clairintets, and trumpets with the more difficult parts and the rest of the band falls alseep. euphonium seems to be "the trumpet" of the low brass so if anyone gets a little harder parts in low brass it will be them.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2003, 04:40PM »

Like a lot of the above, I play keyboard, although not very well (I had to write the notes on the white keys with a felt-tip pen....). It is extremely useful for working out the chords in a tune, and also for working out notes in a complicated solo. I also sing (teehee), and used to play guitar and banjo.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2003, 04:45PM »

I sing, and picked up tuba (Bb and C) somewhere along the way, but haven't touched one since 1985.

I'm not sure which helps which  
jwt

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2003, 05:05PM »

How hard is it to learn the upright bass?  I can play piano and euphonium also if that would help in any way.  I have heard that learning it is just about the same as trombone since they're fretless.  I'm not sure but I really would like to learn.  Also how much would lessons/renting on cost?
PeterBale

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2003, 02:37AM »

At the risk of being branded a heretic, I must confess to being first and foremost a saxophonist, although the first instrument I learnt was clarinet.  I was introduced to brass in my teens via an Eb tenor horn that was in the school music cupboard, and then became involved in brass-banding.  Moving first to Bb baritone I then shifted onto trombone, spending several happy years playing bass trombone in various groups.  I currently seem to be playing tuba more than anything else (BBb), although the saxophone comes out of its case fairly frequently as well.

Alto sax, Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble
BBb bass, Hadleigh Temple Band
BFW
Pun Gent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2003, 02:42AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Frank B:
I play decent piano

(Images of Frank playing an indecent piano come to mind...)

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2003, 08:33AM »

quote:
Originally posted by paulfletcher:
Hi Lauren

I play pan too, and teach it.  I also run a community band with a set of pans and horns - brass and saxes.  That's great fun.

I was playing trombone before pan, so I can't say the pan has helped my trombone, but you will find yourself at an advantage over those who don't play another instrument.  The great thing you learn playing pan is playing in a band.  And playing by ear.  And rhythm - in fact, everyone should play pan!  

Anyway, enjoy the trombone, it is THE BEST instrument, but don't stop playing pan.  

There is a connection by the way - both metal    

Paul

hey Paul

this is Lauren, as in Lauren from north tyneside steel band  
David Gross

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2003, 09:06AM »

I did meet a guy who seems to play everything. He is primarily a woodwind player. I've seen him play soprano and alto sax, clarinet, and flute. Also keyboard and bass guitar. He loaned me a tuba and loaned another band member a trumpet. And he mentioned playing trombone too.

Dave

Dave

Money talks. Mine says "Bye bye!"
harmonslide
formerly tbone stakes

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2003, 10:58PM »

Hmmm, I just play trombone and trumpet.
Paul Fletcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2003, 11:19AM »

quote:
hey Paul

Well there you go, in this world community of trombonists, I bump into somebody from just down the road.  

Who's teaching you trombone?  Do you fancy a community band - I'm always looking for trombonists (too many saxes).

Paul

New website all about musical metal: gamelan, steel pan and brass - visit http://www.musicalmetal.com/
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2003, 12:08PM »

quote:
Originally posted by paulfletcher:

quote:
hey Paul

Well there you go, in this world community of trombonists, I bump into somebody from just down the road.  

Who's teaching you trombone?  Do you fancy a community band - I'm always looking for trombonists (too many saxes).

A guy called Bob Harrison.  He teaches at Valley Gardens Middle school and my school, Whitley Bay High.  

Thanks for the offer.  I have only been playing for a couple of months so Im not exactally at a very good standard yet and what with year 11 pressure and all I'm not sure i would be able to just yet.

dave also said in an e mail earlier that there was a young leaders session planned for next friday in Gosforth and to contact you for details on it. What do i need to know about it?

Paul

« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2003, 12:09PM »

that last message has come out all funny and looks like its from you sorry about that  

Lauren
Paul Fletcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2003, 12:20PM »

Hard to get these quotes right.

I haven't got a definite venue for the young leaders' session yet - I'll email details.

Paul

« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2003, 12:30PM »

okey doke, thank you
Chang
Gas Sucks, Ride a Bike

"Does Your ComBadge Spin? I think not!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2003, 03:02PM »

the trombone was my first intrument, and well, about my only, I'm learning tuba, a little.

Daniel Vore
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2003, 03:43PM »

Besides trombone (which is my main instrument) I also play guitar, electric bass, I sing, and I also play a little Piano and Cornet.  I started playing trombone and guitar roughly at the same time, so I'd say that the guitar really helped me learn how relitive music is (intervals, multiple octave ranges, a little bit of harmony knowledge, etc).
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2003, 06:00PM »

Besides trombone, I played piano for 8 years or so...

Oh, and just to make everyone mad,  I played  recorder in junior high...
ScottieVan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2003, 08:24AM »

I consider myself a trombonist first but I also play guitar and trumpet.  Trumpet has helped me "undo" some of the bad habits I learned in school on the trombone. (music theory, sight reading)
Also when I get bored with one, I go to another one of the three...and then the other...and so on.

Scott

"Good things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle"
mid-aged-bone

Location: weekend warrior nirvana, or somewhere in California wine country - take your pick

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Feb 20, 2003, 08:29AM »

only one...bass trombone.  If I try real hard I can find middle C on a piano, and every time I walk past my son's drum set I hit the cymbals, but that's about it.  I don't even sing in church so vocals are totally out of the question (I was "recruited" to sing with the choir in high school and was told "stick with the trombone"...so I did    )

Mark Wolf
vocation = engineer
avocation = bass trombone
WeekendWarriorTrombonePlayerWannabe (WWTPW)
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2003, 10:30PM »

Piano was my first instrument, I learned to read music when I was 3 1/2.  I played violin for a couple of years, then discovered the trombone in 6th grade.  Through junior high and high school I  also played baritone, sousaphone, french horn and flugel horn.  And I played the bass drum in two parades.  I'm pretty much self-taught, but want to find a trombone teacher, when I know I have the time to study with someone.  I'll probably join one of the community bands here, so I have something to play.  So far as piano goes, I love to play Scott Joplin, his rags are almost all I play anymore.  I would highly recommend piano as a first instrument to everybody, because being able to read treble and bass clef is a big advantage.
BFW
Pun Gent

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2003, 10:57PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Zink:
I would highly recommend piano as a first instrument to everybody, because being able to read treble and bass clef is a big advantage.

Piano is indeed an indispensible instrument for any serious musician, as it provides the ability to play multiple parts of significant complexity, it has a huge range, the pitches being played are easily seen, and the relations between the pitches are visually obvious.  It is of great help in score study and in solfege, more essential tools for the well-educated musician.  (Of course, scores are more readily available to singers than to ensemble instrumentalists.)

Brian

mid-aged-bone

Location: weekend warrior nirvana, or somewhere in California wine country - take your pick

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2003, 01:18PM »

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kelly Zink:
I would highly recommend piano as a first instrument to everybody, because being able to read treble and bass clef is a big advantage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just as a side note, when my son hit the 5th grade to begin music in school, his band director would NOT accept anyone into the percussion section without them already having a background in piano.  As he's moved to different schools, it's been an advantage for him over other percussionists.  BTW - his second choice was trombone, I couldn't talk him out of percussion.  

Mark Wolf
vocation = engineer
SLewis

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 20, 2003, 05:16PM »

If you take piano in elementary school, you won't have to take it at university later.  I wish I had, but I guess we couldn't afford it then.  Now it's too late.  
I have a euphonium, but since I play 1st chair TB the conductor will have a major fit if I want to play euph in the summer.  If I could find a lead TB player...there's one, but he's still offended.  Not at me, the drum section.

If hummingbirds were the size of crows,
it wouldn't be safe to go in the woods.
-Ogden Nash
SandyMBarrows

"Professor 'Add Junk'"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: Feb 20, 2003, 05:25PM »

quote:

Somewhat, yes, but most composers aren't trombone players and the so-called limitations of the instrument reflect in the scores. Compared to the flute part.....

-Sandy

Miraphone Soprano, Shires .547 TruBore, Michael Davis .495, Bass dependent TruBore
SandyMBarrows

"Professor 'Add Junk'"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: Feb 20, 2003, 05:33PM »

I was trying to paste a quote of another posting....essentially he/she said that trombone parts tended to be somewhat simplistic after playing other instruments..... MERCY!

-Sandy

Frank B
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2003, 05:57AM »

quote:
Originally posted by SandySackbut:
Somewhat, yes, but most composers aren't trombone players and the so-called limitations of the instrument reflect in the scores. Compared to the flute part.....

unfortunatetly they shouldn't have to be trombone players. composers are expected to know every insturment, some tricky parts of playing them, and the normal parts of playing them, just as performers are expected to know whether the chord their section is playing is major or minor. and yet, the number of completely horrid low brass and percussion parts in frequently used songs is very sad.

another fun reason why, is what is easier? having a whole note of the root pitch holding in the bass and doing frilly stuff with the higher insturments, or giving musical aspects to ALL of the ensemble? the first one is so much easier when doing harmony and such... just sad how few pieces fit into the second catergory
mid-aged-bone

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2003, 08:12AM »

FWIW - James Pankow wrote some of Chicago's best stuff  

Mark Wolf
vocation = engineer
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2003, 09:35AM »

Well, I started on piano when i was around 9 or 10 or somesuch. Quit when it become too boring and i lost interest, then i eventually got into music again in high school, playing trombone. From there I've picked up Euph, Trumpet, Tuba, Clarinet and Alto Clarinet, Saxophone, Guitarr and Bass, Violin and Misc Percussionn. The only instrument i can't really play would have to be the flute, as I just can't seem to adapt my embouchre to the flute.... as to whether or not playing all these other instrumentshas helped my trombone playing, I would have to say absolutly, no doubt. I love musical instruments and only wish i had spent more time on my theory during music class so that i could start composing and arranging.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: